Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Drinking water tank water.

Yes Silvio, the numbers are extremely low because by the time people start to die we have long since found the source of the problem.
It doesn't tell you how many people fell ill.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Wow.
Different strokes for different folks indeed.
Not only do I drink from my tanks, there have been times I was overjoyed to be able to fill them from a primitively built, unfiltered catchment system.
In the Bahamas we figure if there are frogs swimming around in your catchment tank, then the water is not poisonous so it's good enough to drink.
Be that as it may, I bet my immune system is better than all you cautious bottled water drinkers.
x10.

What is wrong with the tap water at home or in the boat. If you suspect it is contaminated, fix it. Buying water bottles in the store just like throwing money away with no reason. Well, may be just for the placebo effect.

Silvio likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-15-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

I fill up my old bottles at home. Why wouldn't you.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 06-15-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I only "liked" Mike's post out of shear sarcasm. The rules for safe drinking water have been known for a long time, they don't require bottles, and cruisers can't fill them at home anyhow... obviously.

"Ew" is tired.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Cruising; I would think most don't consider cruising a wilderness survival trip and do plan to make landfall every few days or week. Weeks alone at sea, of course is a whole different plan on self sufficiency. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww is and will always be my reaction to tank water for drinking. Taste is my reason more then safety. EW!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

We have household-style charcoal 3M cartridge filters between our tanks and the faucets (even our foot pump). That gets rid of 99.99% of all bacteria and contaminates which is as good or better than most water supplies. I change those cartridges once a season. I typically drink bottled drinks on the boat ... but I am comfortable washing hands, dishes, brushing teeth, showering etc. with this water. I would certainly drink it if that was all we had. But why drink water, when there is beer. That's silly.
Old 06-15-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am in my 11th yer as a full time liveaboard. We always always drink from our tanks. Never used bleach or any other additive.

I am a little bit careful of water from an island like Carriacou where the water is collected from roofs and stored in home cisterns then pumped out and sold to yotties. That I boil before drinking.
Old 06-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

You can also get one of those pitchers that has a built-in, changeable filter inside it for drinking.
Old 06-15-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

People think that bottled water is "purer" than what comes out of their faucets at home. This may not be the case. Companies that bottle water sell the idea that they have a spring in the mountains (or out in the woods, or somewhere green and pretty) so their water is better. If you believe them, they make money. I think Coca Cola puts Philadelphia city water into blue bottles, calls it something fancy, and sells it nationwide at an incredible profit. Is it any better than what might be in your tank? The Royal Navy used a fresh water source that welled up in one section of Cold Spring Harbor, New York, to fill their water barrels before and during the American Revolution. Now a faucet has been set up that taps into this same source, so that you can actually sail up to it, (about 100' from shore) and fill your tanks too. The Royal Navy would not want their crews to get sick, any more than any of us do. I absolutely hate the plastic bottles. When they're full, they're heavy. When they're empty they roll or blow around everywhere, causing crew to dangerously miss their step when they crunch or slide underfoot. If there is an "Ew" factor, clean your tank. and consider the drinking water on Bermuda. EVERY HOUSE in Bermuda funnels rainwater from the roof into a cistern that is probably NOT as pristine as your boat's water tank. There might in fact be frogs down there.

Last edited by paulk; 06-15-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It has a hand pump sink and probably would take hours to pump it all empty.
My Catalina 25 had a hand pump and it took about 10-15 minutes to hand pump the 20 gallon tank dry.

I took that tank home, added an inspection plate, carefully cleaned it, and replaced all lines. We drank the water from it with no concerns.

I didn't take my Pearson apart to remove the water tank, I just cleaned the system and drink the water and it's also been fine.

I hate bottled water, what a waste of storage space (the dead space between bottles wastes a lot) and resources.