Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Drinking water tank water.

"First World Sources" Does Walkerton Ontario ring any bells.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013
Hughes 38 Mark II

lgherb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Mike your just very very lucky!
But just think of all of the money he saves not having to buy Metamucil!

Seriously, though, if you regularly clean your tanks and fill your tanks with a potable water source, you should be fine. If you need to correct bad taste, hook a couple of filters before the tap and put in a 10 micron sediment filter and an active carbon filter prior to the tap in the galley.

Old 06-16-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
"First World Sources" Does Walkerton Ontario ring any bells.
So, I assume you are aware of the incredible response this tragedy produced.

Yes, sh!t happens. Nothing is 100% safe, but how many people drink water from their taps here in Canada/US? Hundreds of millions every day. Now, how many people get sick due to contaminated water? Tens ... perhaps as high as hundreds every day (just to be very conservative). Now, do the math.

I can certainly live with odds of 1:100,000 or even 1:10,000.
Old 06-16-2013

I agree Mike, you can also take some of the purest water known, dump it into a questionable onboard water system and become very sick.
I drink water straight out of the tap all the time. We probably have some of the best water in the world right here in Victoria B.C.
I have also seen inside of an 80 year old watermain that is still in use and it's pretty gross.
Old 06-16-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

A book I read a couple of years ago called 'History of the World in Six Glasses' is really the story of how mankind made "water" safe to drink. Here is a description of the book:

Book Description
Release date: May 16, 2006
From beer to Coca-Cola, the six drinks that have helped shape human history
Throughout human history, certain drinks have done much more than just quench thirst. As Tom Standage relates with authority and charm, six of them have had a surprisingly pervasive influence on the course of history, becoming the defining drink during a pivotal historical period.

A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the 21st century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe they became a 20th-century phenomenon, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization.

For Tom Standage, each drink is a kind of technology, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite drink the same way again.

The postscript to the book describes how, today, the bottled water industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world as we now have the technology to make water safe and the ability to check to ensure it is.
Silvio likes this.
Old 06-16-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

If you are afraid of your water system - don't use it for drinking water. If you know your system and maintain it and put "good" water in it then you should have no fear of it.

Bubblehead has it right. His practices will assure your potable water stays potable during routine operations if the water is not allowed to stagnate. Submarine sailors average use is about 19 gals a day per person (cooking/cleaning/showering/drinking/coffee) so the tanks have a frequent turnover of contents and good flow in the piping systems.

If you don't use your boat often and have stagnant water in your tanks and lines for long periods then you probably ought to haul water from Wally World for drinking.
Old 06-16-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

While I think people go overboard sometimes in the quest to sterilize everything, I do think common sense dictates that you should not drink water from the frog pond! Giardia is no fun and to complicate matters, is rare enough so if you get a case, it is very likely that it will be misdiagnosed. A buddy of mine got it drinking water from a ski area fountain and seriously thought he was dying until doctors down south brilliantly recognized what it really was. This took months. In these parts we call it "Beaver Fever."

I always try to leave with 3-5 gallon containers of my own "spring water" from the artesian well here at home just because it is great for drinking and has no chemicals in it but I would not hesitate to drink the chlorine-dosed water from the 75 gallon tank which I reserve for dishes and showers. I also keep a good sized bottle of iodine aboard which is said to kill more bugs than chlorine but have never tried it.
Old 06-16-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

One of the confusing aspects of water purification is the misconception that activated charcoal filters remove bacteria - they do not. They're very effective in the absorption of chemical contaminants, particularly those that are carbon based. And, because of activated charcoal's massive, molecular surface area, it does an outstanding job of scrubbing organics. The bottom line is, while that activated charcoal filter does a fabulous job of making your water taste bland, in reality, it cannot remove bacteria. That's the reason most municipal water treatment facilities continue to use chlorine as the chemical of choice for bacterial elimination.

Now, if you think that your municipal water supply is pristine, fill a sterile jar with tap water, cap it off, then sit it outside in the sun for a week. In most instances, by the end of the week you'll see algae growing on the inside of the jar. The water is clean enough to drink - but it's far from being sterile.

Most bottled water is heavily filtered, and in some instances, as stated earlier, it's nothing more than tap water with a fancy name on the bottle. As for the Brits filling barrels with water for the ships, well, yes they sometimes did that, but that water was brewed into beer so it could be safely stored and used for months on end when there was no source of clean, fresh water available. Water stored in those casks was only good for a couple days at best, and this was when the water was drawn from pristine sources. In fact, the only reason this world exists is because of BEER! How Beer Saved the World | Watch Free Documentary Online

There's a good reason that I keep the boat's bar fully stocked.

Cheers,

Gary
smurphny likes this.
Old 06-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

One of life's major ironies is that we carp and complain about gas at $1.50/liter - a product that requires a lot of costly refinement and production, but happily pay $2.00/litre for water in a plastic bottle... esp in North America and other places with good water supplies, to say nothing of the environmental burden of the bottles..
NorthernPilgrim likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2013

Hey Faster, where the hell are you getting gas for $1.50 ltr. that's cheap. Haha
Hey Gary, my wife needs to read that, we're always running out of beer.