Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Drinking water tank water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Wow.
Different strokes for different folks indeed.
Not only do I drink from my tanks, there have been times I was overjoyed to be able to fill them from a primitively built, unfiltered catchment system.
In the Bahamas we figure if there are frogs swimming around in your catchment tank, then the water is not poisonous so it's good enough to drink.
Be that as it may, I bet my immune system is better than all you cautious bottled water drinkers.
Yeppers you got that one right. I use my tank water for drinking and cooking. For washing up and showers I use the salty stuff, then a quick rinse with tank water.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Oh boy ... there are quite a few false info here, fear mongering perhaps?

Here are my takes:

1. How would human can survive for so long without bottle water.

2. No circumnavigate sailors or world cruisers rely on bottle water on their boat.

3. I eat Sushi, raw clams, raw oyster, bloody steak, including pu55y regularly. Tap water is the least of my fear.

4. I fear of weather and instrument failure far more than the tap water from the tank since I can fix the problem before I head out to the sea. The water tank can't create something from nothing, know your hygiene.

5. I got all A's in microbiology, chemistry, human physiology, internal medicine, biochemical clinical pharmacology and toxicology. I use these knowledge every day in my career. I don't believe in marketing hypes.

6. There has been many reported cases of water bottle recall due to filter contamination with benzene and other chemicals, for example Perrier water.

7. Don't confuse with the personal preference with "Must have". They are different.

8. Just because Europeans drink bottle water, it does not mean we (North America) need to follow.

9. I drink water from a well so is my family. We have a septic tank too

If drinking bottle water makes you feel better, by all means. Please do not imply that you love life more than I do. Unfortunately, the act of buying bottle water in a routine basis makes me sick to my stomach. It is so environmentally unsounded.

I don't fellow the society hype or trend. I am a independent thinker.
YMMV

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 06-16-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typos :-/
Old 06-16-2013
Owned by Velcro

Heck, I have not bought a bottle of water in my life and I am still the right side of the grass.
smurphny likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 06-16-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

We drink distilled water by default, unless they're out and I have to buy spring water. I don't drink my counties tap water due to the high cancer rates of the area.
Old 06-16-2013
Owned by Velcro

Drinking distilled water is not all that clever as it takes a lot of minerals out of the body. Of course you could offset the negative effects of drinking distilled water with calcium and other mineral and vitamin tablets.

Old 06-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Now, I have to admit it has been a long time since I was in the Bahamas, but if I recall, the municipal water supplies there were not all that safe.
Actually, many of the supplies in the Bahamas are now from RO, so they're pretty safe...

Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the replies in this thread... I'm with the crowd that has been using my tank water for everything for years, refreshing it frequently, of course... I built large access ports into my tankage, it's pathetic the lack of attention many builders give today to the importance of being able to keep your tanks clean...

Always carry an emergency supply in bottles, of course, but I'm with those who are appalled at the massively wasteful, unnecessary, and destructive impact of the bottled water industry on the environment... I would hope we as sailors would be doing our utmost to help minimize that sort of impact, it's not all that difficult to configure a safe system aboard any boat today...

Every true voyaging boat should have a means of catching rainwater IMHO, amazing what a good tropical downpour can produce in a matter of minutes... Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who apparently is of the opinion that our - particularly my American brethren's - paranoia over this matter, and our increasing dependence on bottled water and onboard watermakers, has gone just a bit over the top... (grin)
Old 06-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We drink distilled water by default, unless they're out and I have to buy spring water. I don't drink my counties tap water due to the high cancer rates of the area.
Distilled water is expensive to run. A home RO or just an activated charcoal water filter is all you need to remove all contaminates from the water source. Once a year of sampling/monitoring your drinking is a good practice.

I admit, I do buy bottle waters for their containers, so we can refilled them keep in the frig or use on the boat.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-16-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
This just in....
Mark has drank water from all around the world and it's all just fine. No more world water problems I guess.
You must be kidding me.
Well go cruising then. You will find out.
Old 06-16-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Find out what, exactly?
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 06-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Giardia
It is not a significant problem in US or in boating community. Get rid of the dog or cat is a better measure. Bleach, soap (any surfacants) and Quaternary ammonium compound products, such as Lysol can disinfect take care of giardia.

If one gets sick by giardia, there are more other urgent problems at the hand.

Fine Print: