Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road
Drinking water tank water.

My boat carries 2 water tanks, 50 and 30. The water in them is regularly used. I average going through one tank a month and so the water is constantly being replaced. But, we never drink it or cook with it. We always buy bottle water.

The other day I say a product that 'freshen' or removes order, or funny tastes.

I was wondering, how many actually drink the water in their tanks?

I would like to stop buying bottled water. And just use the water from the dock water supply.

I guess I just assume the water lines at the house are clean enough to drink from but wondering if the water systems on an average boat would be just as clean.

I do run bleach through the system every now and again.
deniseO30 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Drinking water tank water.

Ewwwwww
Dog Ship likes this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I never drink water from my 75-gallon tank. For drinking purposes, I use bottled water. I do, however, use the water to wash dishes and shower. However, before doing so, I make sure it is well chlorinated. I add a full cup of bleach to the tank when I fill it, and while this is far more than necessary to sterilize the water, I just feel better about it. There is a recommended formula for water sterilization, which if I recall correctly is 8 to 16 drops per gallon. And, if you cannot smell the chlorine when running water from the tap, there's a good chance that there is not a sufficient amount in the water to make it sterile.

My boat has been sitting for a couple weeks, therefore, next week, I'll completely drain and flush the entire freshwater system, then after refilling, hit it with an extra load of chlorine, flush it through the system until the tank is half empty, then fill it to capacity. This should make the water safe enough for pretty much everything when I make that next 3-day cruise down the bay.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 06-15-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Wow.
Different strokes for different folks indeed.
Not only do I drink from my tanks, there have been times I was overjoyed to be able to fill them from a primitively built, unfiltered catchment system.
In the Bahamas we figure if there are frogs swimming around in your catchment tank, then the water is not poisonous so it's good enough to drink.
Be that as it may, I bet my immune system is better than all you cautious bottled water drinkers.
Faster, rockDAWG, Barquito and 6 others like this.
Old 06-15-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

I regularly use the water tanks onboard for drinking, washing cooking, etc. Regular use, regular cleaning, and I fill from municipal supply. I do use a charcoal filter on the tap for drinking to make it taste good. Very few bugs are resistant to chlorine, and those would be make the evening news if they were coming from a municipal supply. Residual chlorine = safe water. Can check residual chlorine with a simple paper strip if concerned.
rockDAWG and 34crealock like this.
Old 06-15-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Giardia
Jgbrown likes this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

When we refill our tanks (110 gallons) we run the source water through a 10 Micron filter canister and add 2 Oz of unscented bleach to each tank. The following day we add AquaBon water treatment to each tank. Water from the tanks is drawn through a 2 micron activated charcoal filter (Pentek). The water that is used for drinking, making GatorAid, etc. is run through a final, under counter, SeaGull filter and has no unpleasant taste or scent. We clean and flush the entire system annually and replace the filter cartridges and have been very pleased with the results for 10+ years.

FWIW...
JimMcGee likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-15-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Giardia
Not a significant threat when using a municipal system to fill tanks, there is a greater risk of giardia contact when swimming n the marina pool.

There are several bugs that are not killed by chlorination, but again, I don't consider them a viable threat if filling from a municipal source. Streams, cisterns, ponds, long stagnated sources, are a different story.

No wrong answer here though. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with.
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 06-15-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

I fill my main tanks through an omnifilter whole house filter that I have modified so that I can attach a garden hose. I also treat the tanks with bleach at each fill up. The water in my main tanks taste good, better than some municipal water ive had. But I don't drink from the main tanks typically.

For drinking water I have two 5 gallon food grade jugs that are mounted in the lazarette. They are easily removable for thorough cleaning or replacement if they get funky. I can fill those with bottled water or from the omnifilter.

I have a separate pump/faucet at the galley sink for those tanks. A hand operated pump for drinking water, a foot pump for wash water.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 06-15-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

We drink from our water tanks. What we have done is open up the inspection ports and clean them with bleach. The water at the harbor is chlorinated city water so I'm not really concerned about sickness. For drinking we have a Pur filter pitcher that we use to take the smell/taste out of the water with -- that being said I often just drink from the tap with no ill effect.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.