SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100507-sailing-3-miles-off-shore-thunderstorm-moves-east-what-do-you-do.html)

Advocate777 06-16-2013 08:06 PM

Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do?

Scenario: you are heading north or south parallel to the coast on the east coast of the USA. Say, off S Florida.
You are still 3 hours between the nearest port like between Port Everglades and Miami/Government Cut. The day started out clear but now thunderstorms from the east are moving west. What do you do to keep your cow and boat safe? What is your 'step by step' procedure? You do not know what kinds of winds are in the storm or how long it will take to pass over you. You are in shallow coastal water, say 20-30 feet. You are not in the Gulf Stream, you are between the Stream and the Coast about 3-4 miles from shore. What is the correct procedure? Have any of you sailed through one of these Florida thunderstorms?

Advocate777 06-16-2013 08:08 PM

Re: Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do

Correction: sorry...I meant 'crew and boat safe' not 'cow and boat safe' :D

rockDAWG 06-16-2013 08:12 PM

Re: Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advocate777 (Post 1044784)
Correction: sorry...I meant 'crew and boat safe' not 'cow and boat safe' :D

Oh... God, not again. I was worried. I thought there is another one likes to have his fresh milk with his cereal. :p

Back to the topic.
Assume you know your boat quite well. If you have radar to see how fast the system is moving toward you. I will get off the reef from 2 to 3 nm. Continue on to my destination. Check all ports and closed sea cocks, tidy up below, and PFD and tetered. Pending on how efficient you are. Just before the storm hits, reduce the sails.

Hold and have fun. Just remember, leave plenty of sea room, she can handle herself. Now it is not a bad idea to practice your heave-to technique.

deniseO30 06-16-2013 08:13 PM

call the CG and and abandon ship! (seems to be the most typical "plan")

Dfok 06-16-2013 08:19 PM

You have a minute or is this hitting you right now?
First thing - keeping a cow safe is second to your own safety. Lash Bessie down and remember milk now comes in small portable containers you can keep in the icebox or fridge.
20-30 feet is deep for a Chesapeake sailor, sail as best you can into the wind, when you cannot drop sail and power up into the wind. Thunderstorms there and on the Chesapeake move fast, it might be frightening but will almost certainly be quick.

rockDAWG 06-16-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1044787)
call the CG and and abandon ship! (seems to be the most typical "plan")

Damn, we had a winner.

I will go to my corner and be quiet now. :)

Dfok 06-16-2013 08:40 PM

Whoa Bessie - you only call the Coast Guard in the case of udder disaster.

zeehag 06-16-2013 08:48 PM

btdt in a seidelmann 37 a coupla-few yrs ago...we dumped main and sailed onward using headsail reefed(roller furlng jib) . we were more than 3 miles out--we were 20-30. the storms are out as far as 60miles, so we sailed farther out the following times we did this.,..wasnt fun, but isnt bad once you are past the big boxy seas that are so not fun closer to shore.

chef2sail 06-16-2013 08:51 PM

Some would damn you and call you irresponsible for putting yourself there in the first place. They would tell you should have a drogue to heave to. They would say you should never have venture out knowing there was even a possibility of a T storm.

I say do what Rockdawg said....and don't touch the metal on the boat.

Dave

zeehag 06-16-2013 09:08 PM

it is easier just to reef jib, dump main and sail thru it. they only last a short time. i did this for almost a year--seems the old guy i sailed with kind of enjoyed the experience of sailing in thunderstorms.