Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do?

Scenario: you are heading north or south parallel to the coast on the east coast of the USA. Say, off S Florida.
You are still 3 hours between the nearest port like between Port Everglades and Miami/Government Cut. The day started out clear but now thunderstorms from the east are moving west. What do you do to keep your cow and boat safe? What is your 'step by step' procedure? You do not know what kinds of winds are in the storm or how long it will take to pass over you. You are in shallow coastal water, say 20-30 feet. You are not in the Gulf Stream, you are between the Stream and the Coast about 3-4 miles from shore. What is the correct procedure? Have any of you sailed through one of these Florida thunderstorms?
Bene505 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do

Correction: sorry...I meant 'crew and boat safe' not 'cow and boat safe'
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing 3 miles off shore and Thunderstorm moves in from the east. What do you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate777 View Post
Correction: sorry...I meant 'crew and boat safe' not 'cow and boat safe'
Oh... God, not again. I was worried. I thought there is another one likes to have his fresh milk with his cereal.

Back to the topic.
Assume you know your boat quite well. If you have radar to see how fast the system is moving toward you. I will get off the reef from 2 to 3 nm. Continue on to my destination. Check all ports and closed sea cocks, tidy up below, and PFD and tetered. Pending on how efficient you are. Just before the storm hits, reduce the sails.

Hold and have fun. Just remember, leave plenty of sea room, she can handle herself. Now it is not a bad idea to practice your heave-to technique.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 06-16-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

call the CG and and abandon ship! (seems to be the most typical "plan")

my current "project"!
Old 06-16-2013

Dfok is on a distinguished road

You have a minute or is this hitting you right now?
First thing - keeping a cow safe is second to your own safety. Lash Bessie down and remember milk now comes in small portable containers you can keep in the icebox or fridge.
20-30 feet is deep for a Chesapeake sailor, sail as best you can into the wind, when you cannot drop sail and power up into the wind. Thunderstorms there and on the Chesapeake move fast, it might be frightening but will almost certainly be quick.
ehmanta likes this.

Last edited by Dfok; 06-16-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: write quicker than I speeeeeel
Old 06-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
call the CG and and abandon ship! (seems to be the most typical "plan")
Damn, we had a winner.

I will go to my corner and be quiet now.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-16-2013

Dfok is on a distinguished road

Whoa Bessie - you only call the Coast Guard in the case of udder disaster.

Last edited by Dfok; 06-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dfok For This Useful Post:
boknows (08-24-2013)
Old 06-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

btdt in a seidelmann 37 a coupla-few yrs ago...we dumped main and sailed onward using headsail reefed(roller furlng jib) . we were more than 3 miles out--we were 20-30. the storms are out as far as 60miles, so we sailed farther out the following times we did this.,..wasnt fun, but isnt bad once you are past the big boxy seas that are so not fun closer to shore.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 06-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Some would damn you and call you irresponsible for putting yourself there in the first place. They would tell you should have a drogue to heave to. They would say you should never have venture out knowing there was even a possibility of a T storm.

I say do what Rockdawg said....and don't touch the metal on the boat.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
rockDAWG (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

it is easier just to reef jib, dump main and sail thru it. they only last a short time. i did this for almost a year--seems the old guy i sailed with kind of enjoyed the experience of sailing in thunderstorms.
Advocate777 and Seaduction like this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward