Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you have for a cannon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Please, take videos, and right before you set it off, be sure to yell "Hey Vern, watch this!"
"Watch this." and "Can I help.". Scary words, for sure.

Down
Old 06-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have the replica Hershoff Cannon ( named Buster) at our club and it is used for many club functions/ races. Fires 10 gauge black powder shells and has quite a loud report.

Herreshoff Saluting Cannon

Every late October, after the two boat shows the males in the club take a weekend on a few of the sailboats and do our " Bash to Windward" which constitutes a sail down to Annapolis (4 hours) on a Saturday anchoring in the harbor, followed by a tour of a few pubs, followed by a ADVIL aided sail home the next day.

A few years ago someone snuck "Buster " aboard for the ride. After quietly taking up a mooring, someone decided to "signal" the start of the festivities with a cannon shot.

At 8:00 PM and very loud boom shook the harbor followed by almost every car alarm in the parking area next to Ego Alley going off. Within minutes the Coast guard, Navy and Marine police were scouring the Harbor for the rascals. ( Some of us had already dinghied)

They boarded the boat with " Buster " on board by couldn't find him. We had snuck him off under a blanket in the lead dinghy. Needless to say they were pissed by had no real evidence. We stashed "Buster" in the churches graveyard and picked him up later on to a return trip to the boat at midnight under cover of darkness.

The next day the CG came by and pulled alongside, lectured us about the noise, and the proximity to the Naval Academy and the increased security for 9/11....and then asked us if we had a good time.
downeast450 and dvuyxx like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have the replica Hershoff Cannon ( named Buster) at our club and it is used for many club functions/ races. Fires 10 gauge black powder shells and has quite a loud report.

Herreshoff Saluting Cannon

Every late October, after the two boat shows the males in the club take a weekend on a few of the sailboats and do our " Bash to Windward" which constitutes a sail down to Annapolis (4 hours) on a Saturday anchoring in the harbor, followed by a tour of a few pubs, followed by a ADVIL aided sail home the next day.

A few years ago someone snuck "Buster " aboard for the ride. After quietly taking up a mooring, someone decided to "signal" the start of the festivities with a cannon shot.

At 8:00 PM and very loud boom shook the harbor followed by almost every car alarm in the parking area next to Ego Alley going off. Within minutes the Coast guard, Navy and Marine police were scouring the Harbor for the rascals. ( Some of us had already dinghied)

They boarded the boat with " Buster " on board by couldn't find him. We had snuck him off under a blanket in the lead dinghy. Needless to say they were pissed by had no real evidence. We stashed "Buster" in the churches graveyard and picked him up later on to a return trip to the boat at midnight under cover of darkness.

The next day the CG came by and pulled alongside, lectured us about the noise, and the proximity to the Naval Academy and the increased security for 9/11....and then asked us if we had a good time.
Well done! What was the "complaint"? It made them nervous to hear a loud noise!

Some friends with a civil war brass 10 pounder spent the day signaling the launch of Apollo 11 at the end of the road on the outer beach of New Smyrna. Firing cement filled juice cans into the Atlantic. They had it on the back of a flatbed truck. Good ol' boys! I have wanted a cannon ever since! The cape guard shack was a couple hundred yards south. No security even came to see what we were doing. Times have changed.

Down
Old 06-17-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Kriss, Deltaten, I like the look of your East Block launchers. And apparently on the internet you can buy flares for it. Couple of questions: Are the flares USCG or SOLAS approved? And, how in or out of date are the flares? I’m thinking in terms if I could use the launcher as part of my safety gear on the boat. I see a lot of adds for different colored flares (I don’t think the green ones are a SOLAS color). The Blue smoke is kind of cool (not sure the ability to call in a Su-25 air strike is all that useful in an emergency situation ). It has been more than a few years since I cracked open an ordnance or explosives text book and I can’t think of the equation for calculating the pressure produced or the burn rate of smokeless powder, let alone the strength of the hinge and locking mechanism of an East Block launcher – Be careful on how hot you’re making those reloads!
Old 06-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

About 50 years ago I was apprenticed to an old blacksmith who was about 80 years old at the time.
He said that when he was a kid the farmer boys would bury an anvil upside down in the dirt and fill the square hole in the bottom of the anvil with black powder with a fuse.
They would then put another anvil on top right side up and light the fuse and run.

The problem was they would never know where it would come down as it could not be aimed.
Once it came down through the barn roof. Apparently it got launched pretty high.

I figure that experience had to be about 100 years or more ago. The anvil weighted probably a hundred lbs or so.

The old timers knew how to have fun.
downeast450 and smurphny like this.
Old 06-17-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Thane carries my home made cannon, cast in gun metal, inch and a sixteenth bore (about 101 cal) I run thru about 50 dollars of black powder a month (business expense) I found that it just vaporized Dsized batteries so now I shoot wads of toilet paper as I'm big on recycling. I'm firing on the Adventuress on You Tube 'Thane sail past' I regularly have running battles with the Oriole under sail (Can navy training vessel) and the SALT's vessels . l no longer fire close to the harbour because the cruise ships think it's an terrorist thing. No sense of humor..
downeast450 and Dog Ship like this.
Old 06-17-2013
Tundra Down

Capt Len,

Don't tell anybody but General Motors truck drive shafts are extruded and make great cannon barrels! Black powder and frozen juice cans. A friend builds a small building out behind his garage every year and we have a "BLAST" blowing it away! I have revealed, too much!

Down
Old 06-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Well done! What was the "complaint"? It made them nervous to hear a loud noise!

Some friends with a civil war brass 10 pounder spent the day signaling the launch of Apollo 11 at the end of the road on the outer beach of New Smyrna. Firing cement filled juice cans into the Atlantic. They had it on the back of a flatbed truck. Good ol' boys! I have wanted a cannon ever since! The cape guard shack was a couple hundred yards south. No security even came to see what we were doing. Times have changed.

Down
It set off the car alarms and with 9/11 they were worried about explosions close to the Naval Achedemy

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The recurring trouble with home made explosives is the pattern to make them bigger and bigger and bigger, until someone gets hurt. Same with backyard fireworks shows, it seems.

Knew a guy whose July 4th show over the lake was legendary. He competed with a neighbor for best show. The last year he did it, he had built a launch platform and wired the display. He blew himself up in the process.

I have my grandfathers signal cannon. It's firing days are long passed, but sits in my apartment, pointed out over the city in a defiant posture.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013
Tundra Down

I need a barge!

Carbid Cannon - YouTube

Down
dvuyxx likes this.