Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: What do you have for a cannon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is a fact and many States are updating them rapidly in the wake of Newtown. I'm not getting into the gun rights things here. Only adding that the way gun control advocates push some things through is either in the cloak of darkness or by administrative practice, which is not clear at all.

For example, in the State I grew up in, there is no pistol permit law on the books that accounts for concealed vs. non-concealed pistol permits. You either have a permit or you don't. The State also has mandatory sentencing for gun violations. However, nearly every pistol permit is issued with a type written restriction that says, Hunting and Target Only. There is absolutely no law, rule or publication that defines when you are hunting or target shooting, or in the process of traveling to or fro. If you are found to be in violation of this administrative clause, such as carrying concealed in public, you can not be cited for violation of any law. No mandatory sentence. However, they can take your permit away on the grounds that you don't follow rules. Rules they DO NOT publish any specifics on. (as a side note, when I got my fishing license in that State, they handed me a half inch thick book on where I could and could not fish and how much I could take. When I got my pistol permit in the same state, I got no material on the rules whatsoever!)

They do this because they can't actually get what they want passed, so they work around the system and it becomes very vague. Again, I'm not introducing a debate on what the laws should or should not be. Only agreeing that they can be entirely unclear, particularly when government tries to go beyond them.

It always makes me wonder about silly topics like my old 10ga signal cannon. Seem innocent to me, but one really never knows.
This political statement about gun control obviously belongs in the off topic forum not in a sailing forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Onceuponatime, I believe it was Donald Street who used to put his boat down as a "sloop of one gun" on clearance papers, and indeed he carried something like a one-inch salute cannon and did indeed use it when crossing harbor defenses in various Caribbean ports.

A fine old nautical tradition but these days? Start with the US, where my hazy memory is that anything larger than 50 caliber (1/2") may fall under BATFE regulation as well as varying state laws, no matter how shallow or ceremonial it is. In many states anything that uses "stored energy" of any type, whether it is compressed air, springs, explosives, combustible powders, etc. is classified as a firearm and when it reaches a certain caliber...there's often someone with a similarly limited sense of humor around.

Do exercise some paranoia, and perhaps ask the local PD Chief or whoever gets called out on these things. Sometimes it doesn't matter if they want to live and let live, if someone files a complaint, they often have to comply.

Now, on the flip side, the 4th of July is coming up and us Yankees are required to blow something up on that day, aren't we?

By the way, if you ever hear a cell phone "ring" with the classic Star Trek audio clip of "Self destruct sequence activated" that's probably me, do come over and say hi. On the rare occasions that one rings, it tends to upset the local environment.(G)

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-20-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Do exercise some paranoia, and perhaps ask the local PD Chief or whoever gets called out on these things. Sometimes it doesn't matter if they want to live and let live, if someone files a complaint, they often have to comply.

Now, on the flip side, the 4th of July is coming up and us Yankees are required to blow something up on that day, aren't we?
Yup! I know the "Lobster Backs" in St. Andrews expect it! Even if it is just symbolic rapid oxidation of a naturally occurring gas we used to rely on to light our homes prior to rural electrification. It wasn't that long ago in some remote parts of this great (paranoid) Republic! Let the games begin and let the chips fall where they may! Ha! Literally! But not on our neighbor's houses.

I am planning to paddle one of our canoes around Manhattan with the Admiral this August. Studying tides and looking for a safe and convenient launch / haul out site has been interesting. A little more involved than planning to paddle along the coast from Boston to Eastport and its only 25 miles. The restrictions placed on vessel traffic ostensibly a result of 9/11 are remarkable. I am still researching this and have decided to start and finish the trip in Englewood, New Jersey. I expect to find a pdf recommending we avoid eating anything that might produce gas the day before our trip.

Down
Old 06-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This political statement about gun control obviously belongs in the off topic forum not in a sailing forum
There was no statement on gun control. I made that clear in the post itself, for goodness sakes.

It was a statement on the lack of clarity around gun laws and how they apply and that things like signal cannons could be regulated without one knowing it.

If you want to do battle with me, why don't you go back to the last thread we sparred in and show me the fictitious post you suggest you shared with the Baltimore Commander. You seem to like to make up facts to support your position.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-20-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There was no statement on gun control. I made that clear in the post itself, for goodness sakes.

It was a statement on the lack of clarity around gun laws and how they apply and that things like signal cannons could be regulated without one knowing it.

If you want to do battle with me, why don't you go back to the last thread we sparred in and show me the fictitious post you suggest you shared with the Baltimore Commander. You seem to like to make up facts to support your position.
Don't feed the troll.
Old 06-20-2013
Tundra Down

FedX just delivered 10 pounds of miner's lamp grade calcium carbide! Yippee! It has gotten expensive. Shipping is expensive. Hazmat! 5 two pound cans. Should last 5 years if I am prudent and don't get arrested. Ha! I will double seal the cans with paraffin to keep moisture out.

Chem was one of my majors as an undergrad so I get the chemistry and the risk. We are Good to Go! Unless the Admiral convinces me to take her to Boston for the night of the 4th!

Down
Old 06-20-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

down-
Funny thing about carbide and hazmat. I went that route earlier this year trying to ship some carbide. UPS and Fedex call it hazmat. But the USPS will take it WITHOUT HAZMAT as long as it is shipped by GROUND. So, no priority mail, but parcel post (I think they call that "select post" now) you can ship limited quantities of carbide with NO HAZMAT FEE OR MARKING.

It took multiple calls to the local po, to the local main po, to their hazmat department, to group reading of the usps's hazmat guide to get that figured out. But there's at least one vendor on ebay who has been routinely shipping 5x2lb cans of carbide by usps that way for years now, openly, with no problems. So for next year--save the hazmat fee, specify usps ground shipping or find the vendor who already knows about that.

Hazmat is fun, every *ing carrier has their own ideas and none of them gives you the same answer from any two different offices.

WRT NY Harbor, what restrictions? Other than keeping clear of the UN, the bridge abuttments, Ellis and Liberty islands...what's been redlined, that you'd really want to visit anyway? Bear in mind there's a couple hundred years of junk and landfill in a lot of that water, I wouldn't poke around anyplace that might have old pier pilings or other debris hiding in it. And for a "canoe" the East River could be a bit challenging, sometimes there are 2-4' standing square waves forming in parts of it as the water bounces up off the bottom. Quirky, but nowhere near as bad as a herd of giant kraken.

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2013
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
down-
Funny thing about carbide and hazmat. I went that route earlier this year trying to ship some carbide. UPS and Fedex call it hazmat. But the USPS will take it WITHOUT HAZMAT as long as it is shipped by GROUND. So, no priority mail, but parcel post (I think they call that "select post" now) you can ship limited quantities of carbide with NO HAZMAT FEE OR MARKING.

It took multiple calls to the local po, to the local main po, to their hazmat department, to group reading of the usps's hazmat guide to get that figured out. But there's at least one vendor on ebay who has been routinely shipping 5x2lb cans of carbide by usps that way for years now, openly, with no problems. So for next year--save the hazmat fee, specify usps ground shipping or find the vendor who already knows about that.

Hazmat is fun, every *ing carrier has their own ideas and none of them gives you the same answer from any two different offices.

WRT NY Harbor, what restrictions? Other than keeping clear of the UN, the bridge abuttments, Ellis and Liberty islands...what's been redlined, that you'd really want to visit anyway? Bear in mind there's a couple hundred years of junk and landfill in a lot of that water, I wouldn't poke around anyplace that might have old pier pilings or other debris hiding in it. And for a "canoe" the East River could be a bit challenging, sometimes there are 2-4' standing square waves forming in parts of it as the water bounces up off the bottom. Quirky, but nowhere near as bad as a herd of giant kraken.
Nothing red lined I want to visit. Knowing which docks to avoid. Heleports and some other misc stuff. We plan to stop at the park just below Hellgate if things look uncomfortable. The UN isn't a problem until mid September. We will take the east channel. There are things like ventilation shafts, ferry terminals, Stuff I wouldn't be concerned about in a large boat but navigating along the shore in a canoe I don't want any surprises. The usual navy ship security zone stuff. We are experienced canoe paddlers. We paddle some open ocean races and camp along the Maine coast by canoe. A couple of white water national championships in our younger days so we are heads up about waves and currents. I have a farm in Washington County Maine. I used to paddle through "The Old Sow" on my way to work in Eastport. Now there is a challenging set of rips! Ha!

Thanks for the hazmat info.

Down
Old 07-04-2013
Tundra Down

Its CANNON DAY! Ha! Happy 4th of July to you all!

We will see what kind of appreciation the area's "Safety Patrols" have for some 4th of July noise!

I have decided to try my cannon on my own property. Not the public beach which will be bursting with humanity. I expect visits from the local police, who I am on first name basis with and have notified of my intentions. The Acadia National Park police, not so much. My property shares a boundary with the park. Having been an ANP seasonal ranger in the past I know how "UP TIGHT" that govt. agency is. Worse than the military. No projectiles. Not even the lid on the milk can. Tightly held plastic will work if the Youtube videos are an accurate measure.

My large American Flag will be flying and hopefully ears will be ringing. I will be wearing my Husky helmet complete with face shield and ear protection.

Have a safe 4th.

Down
Old 07-04-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Admittedly, I always stop at the RGB Cannons exhibit at the sailboat show and pine away at teir brass cannons.

When I was a kid, there were always wahoos that would set up cannons made of long PVC pipe and rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure of the chemistry or setup, but it was loud!