Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013

tsheie is on a distinguished road
Re: San Juan 7.7

br: while I like the big Sailnet forum, we've also got a little group of SJ7.7 owners on Facebook, with lots of pictures, the original SJ owner's manual, a rigging/tuning tip sheet, the SJ7 sales brochure, and lots of good ideas and modifications-- please join us there! (Just search FB for the "San Juan 7.7/26" group.. join it, and Keith will approve your membership.

Where are you located? What did you pay for your 7.7? I got ours for $2K originally, and we've done lots of improvements. I'm on Lake Superior, out of Bayfield Wisconsin...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013

brerrabbit is on a distinguished road

Hi tsheie,

Thanks! I just joined the FB page.

Im in Seattle and I paid $1600 for mine. She's in fairly rough to mediocre shape, I'd say a 4 or 5 out of 10. A good bit of mold, the wiring is a rats nest. Seacocks and through hulls that don't connect to anything...The sails are pretty stiff, but have a couple of worn spots. I've been watching the local market for a while and despite her warts I still feel like I got a good deal. A San Juan 28 was one of my top choices, but I think the 7.7 might be better for me with with my inexperience and budget.

I might look into that keel attachment when I haul her out next week to patch and paint her.
Old 09-11-2013

Hahah,

You already have a picture of my boat on your Facebook page. Not just my boat model...the actual boat that I own. It's the seattle craigslist ad posted by Keith Riner.
Old 09-11-2013

I jumped on it bought it the day he posted the ad.
Old 09-11-2013

PacificSalt is on a distinguished road

Yep...I posted it when I saw it on craigslist... looks like you got a great deal! Well worth the money! Great to have a new member for the facebook group! Although the group has only been around a few months, we've gotten good response and the members are really great! There is a Yahoo group but isn't very active...it's a great resource for info with the past posts and files though. There's not a lot of info on the net as there were only about 200 SJ7.7s made and fewer parts on the market. There is a gentleman that sells SJ parts, mostly SJ21 & SJ24 but will try and help on the SJ7.7s. I've had an email conversation with him and he too is a member of the FB group (Stephan). If you need anything he is more than willing to provide it or source out any items he doesn't carry or make.
Old 10-30-2013

midniterun911 is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'm purchasing a San Juan 7.7. Hoping I can come aboard here if things continue to progress.
Old 12-29-2013

Stridersj77 is on a distinguished road

I bought hull #16 delivered & launched her January 1980. Constantly upgraded "STRIDER" now enjoys (in no particular order of importance) Harken 00AL furling, TP10 tiller pilot, custom dodger, Rocna 6 anchor, Kenyon two burner propane stove fed by a 20 pound horizontal tank concealed in cockpit locker, Marinetics switch, Boomkicker, Victron battery monitor, solar panel, all Dr LED lighting, Standard Horizon VHF/AIS/SPLITTER, masthead antennae, LOWRANCE chart plotter/sounder, EPIRB, PLB, Full battens, spreader patches, 4:1 snap shackled vang/preventer, spinnaker, 153 genoa, 110 blade, tweaked mainsail, improved out haul, solid SS gooseneck, 23 US gallon fuel capacity - deck fillable & vented, Yamaha High Thrust long shaft 8HP, 20 US gallon water, keel shoe, and lots lots more. Enjoyed a 23 day circumnavigation of Vancouver Island this spring accompanied by a Beneteau Oceanis 351. STRIDER more than kept up with this much larger vessel especially in heavy open ocean conditions. I'm so glad I kept my little boat. Thanks to Don Clark and company for very fast and capable pocket cruiser. Proof? The GPS touched 12.93 knots on our run to Friendly Cove. Averaged just over 7 knots for six hours dead downwind - wing on wing under a prevented full main and poled/prevented blade. Never broached once!

Last edited by Stridersj77; 12-30-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: forgot an item
Old 12-29-2013

jeffzee is on a distinguished road

Hey Strider, that must have been a hell of a trip around Van island! I would love to see how your boomkicker is mounted, I just bought one and am planning out how to mount everything. Any chance of you perhaps emailing me a pic? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013

Stridersj77 is on a distinguished road

Yes, 'twas the trip of a lifetime ... lost 7 pounds in 23 days. Dawn starts everyday, no lunches, very intense planning, sailing, and motor sailing. Different harbour each night ... extreme exhilaration. Boomkicker was invaluable for the many fast reefs demanded by the sudden 25 - 35 knot "fairweather" wind blasts on the outside of VI and down Juan de Fuca. This gizmo mounts best on the gooseneck side of the factory supplied boom vang. Carefully measure twice then cut once. Pick rod diameters which are not too stiff - seem to recall mine were 500's. Tried the 750's no good - too stiff. Proper size rods are critical. End of the boom should pull down with just a few pounds load. Make it too stiff and your boom vang will not work. Think you'll enjoy single handing like never before.

Last edited by Stridersj77; 12-30-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-12-2014

NoQuarter79 is on a distinguished road

My fiance and I bought our 1979 San Juan 7.7 in the summer of 2012 and have been living aboard every summer ever since. It is tight quarters, and being that it was a former racing boat it had no amenities in it but a porta-potty. So far it's been a pretty dry boat in the rain, but once it started to get cold condensation was a constant battle. We bought it for 1000 dollars and it was well worth the money, basically a steal. Our budget has inhibited us from doing a lot of the remodeling we would like to do, but we'd eventually like to set it up with all off the grid power.

One thing that our boat came without is an owner's manual. It seems pretty hard to find out a lot about 7.7's online, and I can't find Clark Boat Company's contact information anywhere. If anyone knows how to obtain an owner's manual or has any information on the 7.7's they would like to share we would love to know!