SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   San Juan 7.7 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/10053-san-juan-7-7-a.html)

survivor42cc22 07-07-2004 10:25 AM

San Juan 7.7

I just acquired a San Juan 7.7, 1979.

Does anyone out there have a San Juan 7.7?

I am looking for technical specifications about the San Juan 7.7, or where to find it, and other helpful information.

Thanks, Nicholas

mikehoyt 07-07-2004 10:45 AM

San Juan 7.7

Check BOATCHECK on sailnet.com Under "S" there is a listing for San Juan 7.7 with 4 entries and three owner reviews.

There may also be a San Juan email list in Sailnet. Check under TOOLS "Email Discussion Lists" on the left hand panel of this site.

Enjoy your boat ... it sounds like a good one!

Mike

saf122 07-09-2004 03:11 PM

San Juan 7.7

Here is a website for you - I think it has the owners manual on there too.

http://www.trpeople.com/SJ26/SJ.htm

I have a SJ28 and in my travels around the web I found a link to the other site. Hope that helps.

Jane
Strega
SJ 28

tsheie 06-04-2012 01:08 PM

Re: San Juan 7.7

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a 7.7 for about 11 years now, many improvements and modifications..
fly a North Sails gennaker, race with a kevlar/mylar 155 genoa, roller furling on the bow.. added Origo alcohol stove to galley counter, modified steps into cabin, added door/drawer to storage area opposite head.. lazy jacks on the boom to manage the mainsail coming down...

Let me know if you want pictures or more info... Mine is also a 1979, Hull#11

Tim
Anoka, MN

jeffzee 06-30-2013 03:06 PM

i just got a 7.7 last fall and have been working on it a lot, making it looks good again! I love how it sails, very quick for its size. Ive put a new main and have a new 155 genoa. next sail will be a new 110. TSHEIE: I would love to see the drawers/door you did across from the head!

PacificSalt 06-30-2013 07:13 PM

Just bought Hull # 5 a few weeks ago. Motor sailed (not much wind) yesterday 15 miles to the new marina. The boat felt great and responsive even in the light air...can't wait for the next day with 10-15 mph winds to see how she sails.

jeffzee 06-30-2013 09:33 PM

what marine are you in Pacific Salt? My hull # is 28 i belive.

tsheie 07-24-2013 12:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
jeffzee: took a while to get back to you--we've tweaked our 7.7 about as much as possible, and happy to share ideas with you--opposite the head, that storage bin ends up being wasted space, so I glassed in two 1x1x15" wood strips inside the upper bin. Then I attached drawer slides and the wire drawer, and we use that for all the silverware and cooking utensils. The lower bin we use for our fan, heater, jacklines, and a PFD or two. *On another topic, if you're still using that dumb detachable ladder in the cabin entry, it takes up too much space and gets in the way when you have to remove it to get under the cockpit.. I cut up the ladder for parts, and made steps that I attached directly to the under-cockpit door. Put two barrel bolts to secure the door, and you're good to go. *We also cut out some counter space and added the Origo alcohol stove, which has really worked out well. I'll add pics, let me know what you think...
- Tim (Restauration, San Juan 7.7, Lake Superior)
(PS: I made the cabinet door opposite the head--tried to match the cabinet door on the galley. And note that the under-cockpit door has twist locks in this pic--they were too loose, and I replaced them with barrel bolts..)

jeffzee 07-27-2013 12:43 AM

Wow, very clever ideas, im going to have to get creative in mine. In a boat this size, it pays to be organized and have a good home for everything while keeping it accessible as possible. I think im going to do the opposite of you in terms of the stove, i have one in my counter (old 2 burner alcohol), going to make a new counter with no opening and just use a 1 burner portable butane stove as i BBQ most of my food.

brerrabbit 09-11-2013 12:53 PM

tsheie, I really like your modifications. I might steal an idea or two from you. :)

I'm a new sailor with a recently purchased SJ 7.7. I got a great deal on her, but she's definitely a project boat. I'll have to redo all the wiring, replace a lot of fixtures etc. Im not too sure about her past, but I get the impression that in a past life she got sent to a junkyard and was stripped of parts.

So, i'm also trying to find an original owners manual, or diagrams / schematics etc but it looks like that TR people site no longer exists.

Does anyone else know where I can them or any other info?

Thanks,
br