Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013
pete

beachmont is on a distinguished road
Three kinds of sailors

I was out with my son last year and he was at the helm , we ran aground in mud , I showed him how to heel the boat and we got right off . He was surprised at how well I took it ! I said don't worry learn , when we got back to our slip every sailor there told him the same thing we have all done it , learn from it , no harm done every thing is fine , and yes you will do it again ,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Three kinds of sailors

4 out of 5 sailors disagree on the choice of anchors and varnish.
It is a wonder that ABYC was able to agree on any standards.
utchuckd likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

100% of sailors agree that anyone that disagrees with them is wrong.
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I ran aground recently in a spot I have been using for years that has shoaled up due to Hurricane Sandy. I was inching along and was able back right off but it still qualified as a grounding. Anyone trying to get up into Horsehoe Cove, just south of Sandy Hook, BEWARE. There is around 3' of water where there used to be 14'.
Good to know as we have anchored there. Is it all filled in? How's AH?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-18-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

We have a Marshal Catboat and sail it mostly in Merrymeeting Bay here in Maine. Its cb is our depth gauge. The bay is muddy and very shallow. When we feel the board bumping we pull it up a bit and alter course as necessary. Is that a grounding? Ha!

Down
Old 06-18-2013

talbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I ran aground recently in a spot I have been using for years that has shoaled up due to Hurricane Sandy. I was inching along and was able back right off but it still qualified as a grounding. Anyone trying to get up into Horsehoe Cove, just south of Sandy Hook, BEWARE. There is around 3' of water where there used to be 14'.
smurphyny: Was there last night for an evening sail. Actually first evening sail from our new home port of Atlantic Highlands, having just moved the boat down from Newburyport MA.

We draw five feet and sailed right into the cove from the entrance of Atlantic Highlands Marina. The depths matched the chart and I turned around at about 10 feet, well inside the point. On the way out we wandered a little closer to that point that sticks out from the North, water still showing fine on the chart, and had to do a hard about face under sail in order not to ground. Got down to 6 feet where the chart shows more than twice that. Headed back out along my original breadcrumb. Surmised that if you give the point more room (come in farther south) it is OK.

chef2sail: AH mooring field and approaches appear OK and match charted depths where we have been. The marina is still being rebuilt, no fuel, docks, or pump out yet. But they are working hard on it.

Looking forward to meeting other local cruisers this summer.

Talbot

Last edited by talbot; 06-18-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good to know as we have anchored there. Is it all filled in? How's AH?
There is a great deal of devastation at The Highlands. They did not expect to be open until mid July at the earliest. There is fuel up toward the bridge at a couple of Marinas, so fueling is still possible at good NJ prices. I anchored inside the rip rap at AH one night and contacted the YC. They indicated that since there was so much construction going on, they were going to close the area to anchoring. They were not renting any moorings. It's a real mess. The HS Ferry is routing right through the anchorage for some reason. Definitely call ahead to see what the status is before planning on anchoring there.

After hitting the shoal, I backed off and anchored just outside it. I did not even try to get up closer. As you probably know, there is little protection unless you can get in behind the ruins there. I wouldn't plan on a safe anchorage at Horseshoe Cove unless maybe you wanted to take a dink and sound your way in to find some deeper water.
Old 06-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot View Post
smurphyny: Was there last night for an evening sail. Actually first evening sail from our new home port of Atlantic Highlands, having just moved the boat down from Newburyport MA.

We draw five feet and sailed right into the cove from the entrance of Atlantic Highlands Marina. The depths matched the chart and I turned around at about 10 feet, well inside the point. On the way out we wandered a little closer to that point that sticks out from the North, water still showing fine on the chart, and had to do a hard about face under sail in order not to ground. Got down to 6 feet where the chart shows more than twice that. Headed back out along my original breadcrumb. Surmised that if you give the point more room (come in farther south) it is OK.

chef2sail: AH mooring field and approaches appear OK and match charted depths where we have been. The marina is still being rebuilt, no fuel, docks, or pump out yet. But they are working hard on it.

Looking forward to meeting other local cruisers this summer.

Talbot
I was using an updated Garmin chip in my chartplotter which indicated 14' (with notation "shoaling reported") and took a route in that I have taken before, pretty much on a straight line from AH as you describe. I read 12-14' and suddenly 2' on a line in toward the cove. Glad it's still possible to get in close but slowly is in order.
Old 06-19-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
We have a Marshal Catboat and sail it mostly in Merrymeeting Bay here in Maine. Its cb is our depth gauge. The bay is muddy and very shallow. When we feel the board bumping we pull it up a bit and alter course as necessary. Is that a grounding? Ha!

Down
No...that is sounding
Old 06-19-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

while raising anchor last week, my diesel pulled a runaway on me...pangeros watched and helped me by towing me to marina half mile away.
while under tow, we grounded softly in the lagoon on a sand bar....lol..ungrounded and continued but sans steering cable--somehow it jumped off quadrant...ok..
everyone goes aground--especially when they have 6 1/2 ft deep keel in shallow entrances, even mid channel......lol....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward