Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013

tsell is on a distinguished road
Three kinds of sailors

You know the saying, those that have run aground, those that will run aground and those that lie about it. I joined the first group this weekend, with about a dozen witnesses, so I had no choice but to take the heat.

We were heading back to the slip, but couldn't get through the bridge just outside the marina due to a accident. Someone had driven their car into one of the crossing gates and broken it, so thy couldn't lift the bridge until it was dealt with. We waited, and waited. And waited. All the while the tide was going out. When we finally got through, after an hour, it was REALLY close to low tide. I cut the last corner from the channel to the marina a little too much and there we were, with our keel stuck in the mud. Luckily we were going slowly, and it was a very soft grounding, so no damage. Our dockmates organized a couple of dinghies to help get us off, but we were able to heel the boat over enough to back out into the channel before we suffered the indignity of a tow. Attempt number two went much more smoothly and a few minutes later we were sitting with everyone trying to save some face. Then it came to me. We didn't run agound, we were simply doing a little charting of our own. I know right where that channel is now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Three kinds of sailors

I ran aground recently in a spot I have been using for years that has shoaled up due to Hurricane Sandy. I was inching along and was able back right off but it still qualified as a grounding. Anyone trying to get up into Horsehoe Cove, just south of Sandy Hook, BEWARE. There is around 3' of water where there used to be 14'.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-18-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=tsell;1045314]You know the saying, those that have run aground, those that will run aground and those that lie about it. ......QUOTE]

I thought the three kinds of sailors were those who could count and those who couldn't?
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-18-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
You know the saying, those that have run aground, those that will run aground and those that lie about it.
Yup! I am all three!

Down
Old 06-18-2013

tsell is on a distinguished road

[quote=bigdogandy;1045449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
You know the saying, those that have run aground, those that will run aground and those that lie about it. ......QUOTE]

I thought the three kinds of sailors were those who could count and those who couldn't?
Did you know that 4 out of every 3 people have trouble with fractions?
smackdaddy, zeehag and G20 like this.
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have. It happens to everyone unless you stick to marinas and the middle of the channel.

Not all coves and anchorages are fully chartered. There can be shoaling, even if they were. To keep some seamanship in the act of grounding, one should only poke around these areas when you know there is an incoming tide to bail you out, proceed slowly enough that you don't go hard aground or have other backup resources (like your buddies with dinghies).

It's all fine, as long as you can use the boat again.

Personally, I think the worst is grounding overnight on the mooring during low tide and waking to find everyone else clocked into the wind but you. Tides that day were a foot lower than normal. Um.... had a friend do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Already posted mine....
Old 06-18-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Never run aground

while at the helm.

Wife did for about 10seconds,then I took over and powered it back out of the mud and off we went.

Was on another boat that ran aground hard ( 6+ kts) on rocks. Cracked the bilge/keel joint. Skipper wanted to cut across between two marks on our established course to save about 15 minutes. He asked me, who was near the chart table at the time, to see if we could. I did a quick estimate of where we I thought we were by looking out of the companionway and the course bearing and said I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure of our exact position and the Navigator should confirm our position and such. We traded positions and he confirms that we are good and we change course. 2 minutes later we were hard aground.
Old 06-18-2013

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

The Following User Says Thank You to utchuckd For This Useful Post:
fryewe (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I sail on the shallow and always changing Pamlico Sound and I always keep my swing keel down just a bit. When I do run aground (happens quite often), I just lift the keel and off I go.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.