Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

dukes is on a distinguished road
Albin 7.9

Anyone have any thoughts on purchasing an Albin 7.9? Decent boat? Things to watch out for? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Albin 7.9

Perter Norlin design; sometimes called the Accent. Heavy quarter tonner ("from the same hardy people who brought you the vikings", sez a funny Yachtworld listing.) That's a clue -- these boats were built for the Baltic and North Seas. They do not scrimp on strength. They are not overcanvassed, and because of the IOR ratings bias, the mainsail is small. If you want the boat to move in light air venues, you will need to play with large, lightweight headsails -- and be ready to change them quickly & frequently. That's the tradeoff with IOR designs. Cheap, often quite good sailers (if you don't horsewhip them DDW), but requiring active sailplan management.

The 7.9/Accent has several quirks particular to Norlin boats of that age. You'll need to decide how you feel about them. Deck stepped mast. Relatively low ballast ratio (35%), so it will be tender & may require bodies on the rail. Forward-located engine, with long prop shaft exiting thru the keel stub & a long exhaust run under the cabin sole. Norlin did similar to the Scampis, to achieve a favorable bow-down trim. The rudder looks short to me.

Albin's build techniques were typical of the day, combining genuine craftmanship with certain production-yard shortcuts. I've often wondered whether the same people built our Ballad's hull and deck, since the former is flawless & the latter has all kinds of oddball stuff going on. Anyhoo -- most Albins are worthy platforms for building on, very hotly sought in Europe. Less famous in the USA, so they can be bought for a song. As with any boat that age, condition is key. Expect deck core issues (IIRC, Divinycell was Albin's core material of choice), sketchy chainplates, standing rigging past its date (Norlin was fond of rod rigging -- that can be difficult.) Also, on this boat, I'd give extra weight to engine condition. Given its location, a repower may be difficult to impossible.

Sweet looker, as most Albins are.
Old 06-19-2013

dukes is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for the info. That is all helpful to know. I am actually looking into that one on Yactworld, so if I go further and have any other questions I may let you know. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2013
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

It was an Albin that did a solo journey around the Americas.
About the Challenge | Solo Around the America's Under Sail

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 06-19-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Mr. Robert Perry owned an Albin 78 (Cirrus), a similar Norlin model. He may have some better, more specific info on these boats than I can give. Our Ballad is certainly from the same stable & design philosophy, but it is perhaps more cruiser/racer than racer/cruiser. Early IOR, while the 78 & 79 were later.

I was apparently wrong to equate the 79 with the Accent -- many sites cross-list them as the same boat, but the numbers on Sailboatdata are quite different. 79 is lighter, with a better ballast ratio and better D/L and SA/D numbers than the Accent. My bad -- sorry.