Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: using a trolling motor for power

FYI, Minn Kota has rebates until the end of the month. I picked up a 30 lb for the dink for $80 after rebate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

i used to push my 18' Aluminum canoe for over 8 hours in a single day with a deep cycle battery/trolling motor combo. (Fishing/trolling) Use it on my 11' dinghy now. Watch the wind though.

I think it's a great idea. Just charge at home.
Old 06-21-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

If the wind dies when you are 5 miles from the dock, how will you get back?
Old 06-21-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

I had to motor back at least 3-4 miles and it wasn't a problem. Of course, it took over an hour...
Old 06-25-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

picked up a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota this weekend. Hope to try it out soon. Will let you know how it works
bljones and jimgo like this.
Old 06-25-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Everyone makes great points here on both sides, gas or electric. Personally I went with gas because I go out in LI Sound so it would be a bit much for a trolling motor to get me back should the wind die. That being said, I'm not thoroughly sure I made the right decision... While the guys with electric are going sailing, my POS 1 month old Honda will be in the shop. Third use and it is having fuel issues which I don't want to get into here (I have another thread and don't want to hijack). Point is it some of these gas engines are finicky and need the stars and moon to align for them to run correctly. Seems like much less of an issue with electric.

That's me. Watch what I do, then do the opposite. You'll be better off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2013

Lucky dog 2 is on a distinguished road

Two cents worth. I use to race a R19 keel in Chicago, I used a 10 foot sweep and oar lock that went into my rudder. It worked well, when there wasn't any wind. Currents weren't a problem. On my Hobie I made a electric motor using a long shaft, a 14/1 rc airplane prop anda black and decker electric screw driver. Kept it in a plastic dry bag. I could get from on end of the lake to the other on a single charge. When I sailed on Lake Superior, I used to sit on the forward end of a hull and use kayak paddle and line that wend to the rudders.

The R19 is still one of my favorite boats. Live on it one summer with tarp over the boom and camp stove. Watched all the people in the morning commuting to work. Now I'm one of the commuters.

Last edited by Lucky dog 2; 06-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
Everyone makes great points here on both sides, gas or electric. Personally I went with gas because I go out in LI Sound so it would be a bit much for a trolling motor to get me back should the wind die. That being said, I'm not thoroughly sure I made the right decision... While the guys with electric are going sailing, my POS 1 month old Honda will be in the shop. Third use and it is having fuel issues which I don't want to get into here (I have another thread and don't want to hijack). Point is it some of these gas engines are finicky and need the stars and moon to align for them to run correctly. Seems like much less of an issue with electric.

That's me. Watch what I do, then do the opposite. You'll be better off!
LOL

That is one of the reasons I went with elec. No worries about an outboard that sees very little use. Elec is much cleaner, quieter, and so easy to use. I'm sure if I ever get caught out in a wind or a long way from the dock I may rethink that position though.
Old 06-26-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

Here is a similar discussion:
Minn kota?
I ended up going with an old Sears 5hp I picked up for 75 bucks.
Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-27-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

I'm sailing a 26 ' swing keel fractional sloop on lake Erie and installed a bracket for an electric trolling motor. I also have an 8hp outboard that always starts on 1 pull. My original intent was to use the 55# thrust electric motor to transit in and out of my marina. I found that I cant wait to get my sails up every time I go out and so I use the faster gas powered motor. Even though I don't use it for getting in and out of the marina that dose not mean I don't use it. I found another use for it. When the wind is light and I would usually drop the sails and either sit or motor I plop in the electric motor. Its not fast by anyone's standards but it takes a 1 knot cruse and escalates it to a 3 knot cruse. It extends my sailing time while making no noise like that stinky 2 cycle. I also like the fact that if my motor wont start I have a back up if the wind dies. It might take a while but I will get there. I figure I can get about 7 miles on one battery moving at approximately 2 knots(it will push faster but will also burn much more power reducing the range by about 1/3). The dedicated marine battery gets recharged by a solar panel when its not charging my main electrical system for the boat and that battery can also be used as extra power for the electric motor in a real pinch. With all that being said I wouldn't even bother dropping it in the water if the wind is over 15mph. It just isn't strong enough to push my boat through a strong wind or rough water. Good piece of mind purchase but spends more time stowed away than I had imagined when I was making the purchase.