SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

using a trolling motor for power

7K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  manatee 
#1 ·
how well would a trolling motor power the oday 19. just for getting away from dock and back to it?

was looking at 45 pounds of thrust

#2 ·
It will push you around with enough oomph in canals and lakes but you can't handle much breeze or current. I keep an even smaller one aboard my 22' Seafarer just for that purpose in case the gasoline eggbeater quits. I have used it enough to know how it does, and it'll get you to the dock if the wind quits. However I also spent a day once waiting for the wind to clock around so I could get south out of Charlotte Harbor into Matlacha Pass. (FL) I wasn't in a big hurry anyways!

#21 ·
perfect. yeah I just need it to get away from and back to the dock. I have sailed out and in before but these are new to me lakes. would be small ish lakes.

I may still break down and buy an OB but troller is less $$ and easier on upkeep
I had a 45 lb thrust electric motor on my fishing boat. As described above it would probably be OK in light wind.

However, by the time you buy the motor and a big battery you are probably looking at about 70 or so pounds and need a way to keep the battery charged.

I also had a 2 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard on another boat. It weighed about 27 lbs and would have a whole lot more thrust than a trolling motor and it won't run out of "juice". The integral tank would last us all day trolling and running to different fishing spots. We used to take an extra pint of gas with us but never had to use it. Maintenance was to change the oil once a year and drain the carb between uses, pretty simple. I sold it, in perfect condition, for $400 after running it very hard for 28 years with no problems.

Paul T

#4 ·
Have you considered how you will power the troller? Will you keep a battery and charger aboard? If so, where will you stow them? How will you power the charger? If you're not keeping them aboard, lugging a battery, especially one that can get you "there and back again" isn't always fun, depending on your age. So, while a small, used 2-3HP outboard may seem like it's more expensive, a) it may not be ore expensive, b) it may weigh less, and c) it may be more convenient than an electric.

Don't get me wrong, electrics have their place. My local lake won't allow a gas engine, so it's either paddles or an electric motor for me. But when I look at what I'd need to really make the motor happen, especially if I were leaving the boat at the lake, I think I'd be more inclined to want a gas engine.

#5 ·
#9 ·
I had just a generic deep cycle battery from auto zone. I never ran out of juice and motored for a couple hours at least. The max draw will be roughly 30 amps but you will rarely pull that much simply because of the pitch on the prop will rarely if ever put max load on the motor.

#11 ·
FYI, Minn Kota has rebates until the end of the month. I picked up a 30 lb for the dink for $80 after rebate.

#16 ·
Everyone makes great points here on both sides, gas or electric. Personally I went with gas because I go out in LI Sound so it would be a bit much for a trolling motor to get me back should the wind die. That being said, I'm not thoroughly sure I made the right decision... While the guys with electric are going sailing, my POS 1 month old Honda will be in the shop. Third use and it is having fuel issues which I don't want to get into here (I have another thread and don't want to hijack). Point is it some of these gas engines are finicky and need the stars and moon to align for them to run correctly. Seems like much less of an issue with electric.

That's me. Watch what I do, then do the opposite. You'll be better off!

#18 ·
LOL

That is one of the reasons I went with elec. No worries about an outboard that sees very little use. Elec is much cleaner, quieter, and so easy to use. I'm sure if I ever get caught out in a wind or a long way from the dock I may rethink that position though.

#17 · (Edited)
Two cents worth. I use to race a R19 keel in Chicago, I used a 10 foot sweep and oar lock that went into my rudder. It worked well, when there wasn't any wind. Currents weren't a problem. On my Hobie I made a electric motor using a long shaft, a 14/1 rc airplane prop anda black and decker electric screw driver. Kept it in a plastic dry bag. I could get from on end of the lake to the other on a single charge. When I sailed on Lake Superior, I used to sit on the forward end of a hull and use kayak paddle and line that wend to the rudders.

The R19 is still one of my favorite boats. Live on it one summer with tarp over the boom and camp stove. Watched all the people in the morning commuting to work. Now I'm one of the commuters.

#20 ·
I'm sailing a 26 ' swing keel fractional sloop on lake Erie and installed a bracket for an electric trolling motor. I also have an 8hp outboard that always starts on 1 pull. My original intent was to use the 55# thrust electric motor to transit in and out of my marina. I found that I cant wait to get my sails up every time I go out and so I use the faster gas powered motor. Even though I don't use it for getting in and out of the marina that dose not mean I don't use it. I found another use for it. When the wind is light and I would usually drop the sails and either sit or motor I plop in the electric motor. Its not fast by anyone's standards but it takes a 1 knot cruse and escalates it to a 3 knot cruse. It extends my sailing time while making no noise like that stinky 2 cycle. I also like the fact that if my motor wont start I have a back up if the wind dies. It might take a while but I will get there. I figure I can get about 7 miles on one battery moving at approximately 2 knots(it will push faster but will also burn much more power reducing the range by about 1/3). The dedicated marine battery gets recharged by a solar panel when its not charging my main electrical system for the boat and that battery can also be used as extra power for the electric motor in a real pinch. With all that being said I wouldn't even bother dropping it in the water if the wind is over 15mph. It just isn't strong enough to push my boat through a strong wind or rough water. Good piece of mind purchase but spends more time stowed away than I had imagined when I was making the purchase.

#22 ·
We use 55 lb. thrust on a 16' Precision, roll-up solar charger keeps it charged.
It can go pretty far in a calm, and can fight winds for short distances (I.e. getting upwind to mooring).
I've sailed a heavier 19' boat in salt water that had a 40 lb. thrust electric outboard,
and it works surprisingly well, even against current.
I've never had problems with range or power -- electric is
clean, cheap and convenient.

#23 ·
I use a 40 lbs thrust trolling motor to push my San Juan 23 to and from the dock with great results. I have a battery bank of 4 deep cycle batteries and they last all weekend with one charge. I like being able to get in the boat and move it to a slip for rigging without worring if a gas motor will start. The boat weighs 3000 lbs and moves with no problems. I also fish with the same motor when there is no wind.

#24 ·
I just bought a 16 foot Topper Sport dinghy, and it came with a Minn Kota trolling motor with 50 lbs of thrust. It is a real hassle lugging the damn battery around, but since I just started sailing, it has already saved me a few times as I'm drifting towards shore and can't seem to get started...

The aim here is to use it just to get in and out of the marina. Yesterday was my first time I didn't use it other than for that reason.

I put the motor and batter on a little hand truck to get it around.

Plus, I do like that it is so quiet as I motor out. Adds to the overall peaceful setting...

Mike

#25 ·
I use a little 30 pound thrust trolling motor on several small boats. I've traveled several miles with two jet ski batteries. I use one battery when I'm outbound and when it runs down, I know it's time to switch batteries and head home. For my inflatable I use a 2.5 hp Lehr propane outboard. It replaced a 2 hp Suzuki that would gum up every time it sat for a month or more without running. I got tired of cleaning the carb.

#26 ·
I owned a Catalina 22 that came with a cantankerous Ted Williams 7.5 that would run fine sometimes and leave me stranded other times. I had an old Lark outboard I traded to a neighbor for a bow mount Minn Kota 72 that I took apart and fitted the transom mount off an old Johnson 4.5 I had in my garage, it worked better than I expected. I sold the Catalina and kept the troller for a back to my current boat which has a Tohatsu 9.8. A month ago I bought my son his first sailboat, an American Fiberglass 16, that came with no motor and hooked the stroller up for him and it provides more than enough power to get him in and out of the dock and into a cove if the weather turns bad while on the water.

#27 ·
Just adding my experience for future thread readers:
I have a Seaward 17 with a older Minn Kota trolling motor (says 3hp on it, back when that was still the way to list it) I sail inland lakes. Basically it gets me in and out of the docks. As a trailer sailor and working stiff I have to take the days I can to sail, so unfortunately my stubbornness has bought me a few 4 mile trolling sessions. I would say electric is great, quiet, convenient, and if it is crowded and choppy you can maneuver like a pro with the rudder and a fully rotatable trolling motor. Almost parallel parking. That said, it does get overpowered by wind and sometimes those wake setter boats. Equally important putting in at a busy choppy ramp can be rough because it doesnt have enough power to get you in and out safely.
Also like others said a big deep cycle can get you back without wind but plan a few extra hours to your trip... Hot, slow, windless hours... At about 2mph or less

...after this first season I'm considering an old OB and keeping both. Trolling for regular use, gas if the wind dies or we have guests and a reservation somewhere :)

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.