SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   using a trolling motor for power (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100595-using-trolling-motor-power.html)

avenger79 06-19-2013 02:46 PM

using a trolling motor for power

how well would a trolling motor power the oday 19. just for getting away from dock and back to it?

was looking at 45 pounds of thrust

Mechsmith 06-19-2013 03:09 PM

Re: using a trolling motor for power

It will push you around with enough oomph in canals and lakes but you can't handle much breeze or current. I keep an even smaller one aboard my 22' Seafarer just for that purpose in case the gasoline eggbeater quits. I have used it enough to know how it does, and it'll get you to the dock if the wind quits. However I also spent a day once waiting for the wind to clock around so I could get south out of Charlotte Harbor into Matlacha Pass. (FL) I wasn't in a big hurry anyways!

avenger79 06-19-2013 03:26 PM

perfect. yeah I just need it to get away from and back to the dock. I have sailed out and in before but these are new to me lakes. would be small ish lakes.

I may still break down and buy an OB but troller is less $$ and easier on upkeep

jimgo 06-19-2013 04:28 PM

Have you considered how you will power the troller? Will you keep a battery and charger aboard? If so, where will you stow them? How will you power the charger? If you're not keeping them aboard, lugging a battery, especially one that can get you "there and back again" isn't always fun, depending on your age. So, while a small, used 2-3HP outboard may seem like it's more expensive, a) it may not be ore expensive, b) it may weigh less, and c) it may be more convenient than an electric.

Don't get me wrong, electrics have their place. My local lake won't allow a gas engine, so it's either paddles or an electric motor for me. But when I look at what I'd need to really make the motor happen, especially if I were leaving the boat at the lake, I think I'd be more inclined to want a gas engine.

jephotog 06-19-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1046350)
Have you considered how you will power the troller? Will you keep a battery and charger aboard?.

This

WEST MARINE 600A Jump-Starter with Air Compressor and 12V Power Supply at West Marine

My little boat came with one of these and a trolling motor as well as a gas one. On a boat this small though I would rather just have a pair of oars. Cheaper, reliable, I could use the exercise.

avenger79 06-19-2013 04:52 PM

Hey Jim, all good points but, this is a trailer sailer, so battery would be brought on when we go out. charger would be in garage. etc. still young enough to lift a battery LOL besides I have to lift the outboard the other way. LOL

tschmidty 06-19-2013 05:22 PM

Another thing you can do to increase performance a bit is a different propeller, I got another .5 - 1 MPH when using this prop on my 16 footer (2.5 avg - 3/3.5avg or so) with a 30lb.

Kipawa Propellers Product Page

And I'd recommend a 55lb since it is not that much more money and is about the most you can get from a 12v system.

jephotog 06-19-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschmidty (Post 1046374)
Another thing you can do to increase performance a bit is a different propeller, I got another .5 - 1 MPH when using this prop on my 16 footer (2.5 avg - 3/3.5avg or so) with a 30lb.

What do you use for battery and how long does it last?

tschmidty 06-19-2013 06:46 PM

I had just a generic deep cycle battery from auto zone. I never ran out of juice and motored for a couple hours at least. The max draw will be roughly 30 amps but you will rarely pull that much simply because of the pitch on the prop will rarely if ever put max load on the motor.

avenger79 06-20-2013 08:11 AM

thanks tschmidty, very informative. I agree on the 55 as well.