Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Back stay boom supporter broke - now what?

Quote:
When I'm putting in a reef I'm never pointing into the wind
Sorry, can't get past this part, how do you reef without pointing into the wind ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Sorry, can't get past this part, how do you reef without pointing into the wind ?
I almost never head up to reef on. Flogging the sails just puts unnecessary wear and tear on the sails and rigging.

My boat has a two line reefing system with all lines run back to the cockpit. Reefing is pretty easy on almost all points except essentially dead downwind, where there is a lot of friction. The way that works is that I have my main halyard marked for the reef and slack it to the mark. There is a 2:1 downhaul on the dogbone on each tack cringles for the reefs and that line can ususally be tensioned without a winch, and sets up the luff tension. The reef clew lines usually go slack and be mostly tensioned with hand tension, and only the last 6-8 feet ground out on the winch. Its surprisingly fast.

I personally consider it critical to safety to be able to reef on the fly. There are times when you are overcanvased at deep angles that it will be tough on the boat and all aboard to head up before you reef.
weinie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We most often seem to need to reef while beating anyway, so we set up to continue to sail closehauled on the jib alone and reef the main with way on, much as Jeff describes. Head-to-wind means running the engine, or risking stalling/going into irons/basically losing control of where the boat's going to go, generally at a time when that's a bad idea...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-20-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Everyone seems to have covered the water front for you, but one issue has been left out. Have you inspected the back stay where the pig tail was attached? After I purchased my boat I decided to replace the standing rigging and when I took off the clamp for the pigtail on back stay I found considerabloe corrosion and two broken strands. (Even the surveyor missed that one).
So I put in a static vinyl coverd wire from the mast head and rigged a 1/4 line from the aft end of the boom through a turning block to a cleat on the forward end of the boom. While this works, I hate it and would consider spending money for a boomkicker.
John
Old 06-20-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a 2:1 downhaul on the dogbone
Thank you, I didn't understand how you'd lower the main while it was still under a load.
Old 06-20-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

You can easily have the main not under load while the jib is under load if you release the main sheet and keep the jib sheet tight.

We reef under sail doing that or by going hove-to (which also has the main pretty lightly loaded to avoid driving the boat off of it).
Old 06-20-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Matthew: Please share back on this thread (and maybe some of your others?) on how you do resolve the issue. That is a lot more helpful for people who find the thread via a search and is good for curious mind who wonder what you did.

thanks,
alex
Old 06-20-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

ccriders - John
That thought had occurred to me as well, if the pigtail went, what's the backstay look like?

Although one of the reasons the pigtails are frowned on, is because they get abused if you forget to unclip them and get into a nasty jibe/winshift. A great way to remove a backstay.

Only 1 vote for a boomkicker besides me... Since I've not owned one, maybe they are more hassle then they are worth. My top lift is heavy 5/16... way bigger than it needs to be. 1/4 or smaller maybe I'd like it more.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 06-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Only 1 vote for a boomkicker besides me... Since I've not owned one, maybe they are more hassle then they are worth. My top lift is heavy 5/16... way bigger than it needs to be. 1/4 or smaller maybe I'd like it more.
I'd vote for a rigid vang/boom kicker too but it appeared that budget was going to be an issue. The f/g rod 'boomkicker' is about as trouble free as you can get - but suggest using the main halyard as a temporary TL because there's no real solid rigidity in support of the boom from the kicker itself if you fell against it.

btw a 'heavy' topping lift can have the advantage of being a spare main halyard if it's run through to the deck and not 'fixed'.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Thank you, I didn't understand how you'd lower the main while it was still under a load.
Sorry, about the 'dogbone' slang. Dogbones are the strops with D rings on each side and which pass through the reef cringles. A lot of mainsails have these when there are ram hooks for reefing on the boom. I have a line which starts below the gooseneck, runs through a shackle on it's side of the gooseneck, through the D ring, back through a guide shackle on the other side of the boom, down to the deck and back to a halyard lock at the cockpit.

This effectively acts as a low mechanical advantage cunningham. There is not much load on the luff except at the very end of tensioning the luff. On my 38 footer with a roughly 400 s.f. mainsail, I have been able to reef on a deep reach in winds approaching 30 knots without using a winch. I ultimately adjust the final luff tension with the halyard after 'two-blocking' the tack. If I had a bigger boat, I would probably rig something like a 4:1 or 6:1 cunningham tackle for each reef to still be able to reef easily.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.