Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
Imaginary Voyage

Imaginary Voyage is on a distinguished road
charts

To any cruisers or recent cruisers out there. What are you using for charts? Electronic or paper or both. And if so where are you getting them? What brand of electronic charts? Looking to cruise the Med. and charts, at least paper ones are expensive and add up. How is everyone else dealing with this expense?? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary Voyage For This Useful Post:
blowinstink (06-24-2013)
Old 06-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Voyage View Post
To any cruisers or recent cruisers out there. What are you using for charts? Electronic or paper or both. And if so where are you getting them? What brand of electronic charts? Looking to cruise the Med. and charts, at least paper ones are expensive and add up. How is everyone else dealing with this expense?? Thanks for any input.
I use both... If you're using a plotter, your choice of electronic will depend on the manufacture of your gear. My older Simrad stuff uses C-Map, which I've always been quite happy with... Can't speak to anything else electronic, I don't currently use a computer for navigation, although people keep trying to convince me I can't live without an iPad, so that might change some day...

Paper is tough, it's a significant expense, no question, especially in certain cruising areas... More and more people today seem to be comfortable going paperless, but I'm not one of them... Yet...

I've used the portfolios from Bellingham Chart Printers in the past, they're a good alternative to originals at a substantial price savings... However, they often do not have rights to copy originals from the hydrographic services of other countries, so might not always be copies of the best charts available for a particular cruising ground... Here are their folios of NIMA charts for the Med:

http://www.tidesend.com/index.lasso?...gion&area=a011

I've bought some used charts from this outfit in the UK, nice folks to deal with, I was very satisfied with their service...

Untitled Document

And, keep checking with the SSCA Chart Exchange, stuff pops up there from time to time...

SSCA Forum ? View forum - Chart Exchange

Finally, there's always eBay, though it's a bit frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a properly designated category for navigational charts, they often appear to be listed under some sub-section for 'Antiques'... Still, I've scored a few deals on eBay over the years...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2013
Wannabe Sailing Bum

happy_sailor is on a distinguished road

I try to use paper and electronic concurrently... I'll lose paper once electronic charts can scroll as quickly as moving my eyes across the chart.

Yippee Kai-Yay
Thistle #697 (currently in my garage with a hole in it)
Old 06-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_sailor View Post
I try to use paper and electronic concurrently... I'll lose paper once electronic charts can scroll as quickly as moving my eyes across the chart.
Yup, there's certainly no substitute for paper for planning purposes, the need for constant zooming in and out drives me nuts...

However, I'll lose paper once electronic charts no longer require the continuous, uninterrupted flow of electrons to be viewable... (grin)
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 06-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

For my trip this year I'm using up to date electronic charts, but one revision out of date paper charts.

I'll let you know at the end of summer if that was stupid or not. Getting used paper charts made them 15% of the cost of new.
Old 06-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I keep two MapTech chartbooks aboard that cover from NJ to ME. I also have the NOAA chart for the Bay and a couple of other singles.

I do all my preliminary float planning on my iPad now. Using Charts and Tides, its easy to zoom in and out by pinching or spreading the view with two fingers. I tap on anchorages or marinas to get Active Captain reviews, data, phone numbers, etc and use the tap ruler to measure distances.

If the trip is long enough, I may enter a course into the chartplotter. More often I only enter a danger bearing, so I know that if I'm sailing on the wrong side of it, I can't make it safely to my destination on that tack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-21-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

I am a little leery of chartplotters for 100% Navigation. There seems to be a big difference between the electronic chart manufactures on what is displayed. Raymarine vs Garmin there can be huge difference on hazards displayed. My question would be why is there a difference. One area the Raymarine chart is better where other areas the Garmin charts are.
Than you throw paper charts in the mix and they too can be different. One would think that the mapping agency's would put out only one chart that shows the most accurate information. I know governments are slow and manufactures can be proprietary but in the interest of safety I think one standard should be the norm.
Bottom line is every mariner should use basic VPR(visual Piloting Rules) with the help of all charts available both electronic and paper.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 06-21-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

No way I would rely on only electronic charts and a chartplotter. Yes I love the convenience of my Garmin, but that's in conjunction with paper charts. Just can't get the big picture on a 5 inch screen. Even a large expensive chartplotter can't display the info that a paper chart can.
Old 06-21-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I use paper, Navionics (smartphone) and Offshore navigator on the lap top but, paper is always on the nav desk

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-21-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

We still trade paper charts with other cruisers who have already been to where we want to go. I'll bet someone on your dock has stacks of charts for the Med.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.