Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road
Gangplank Ideas?

I just built a gangplank that turned out to be too heavy. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas to make a cheap gangplank. I know I could probably use a 2x16 board, but I was trying for a little more class. I would like to make it out of aluminum but can't find any plans and not sure how strong to make it, and it be light before buying the material.

Any ideas?

Here is a picture of the one I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Gangplank Ideas?-gangplank.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Gangplank Ideas?

The quick and easy way might be to buy a six foot aluminum ladder, then screw a piece of 1/4" plywood on top of it as the footing.

Plans for a gangplank...I kind of have to cringe at the thought. I mean, it is two rails, some crossmembers, and something to walk on, and if you need plans for that, you may be best off simply buying one. Like, the ladder plus something to lay on top of it. The ladder will be about the simplest, lightest, strongest piece of fabricated aluminum you can find for the job, and the best way to do it. Bolt two "cart" wheels on the dock end if you want it to roll instead of scrape as the gangway moves. The guys in Ace Hardware or any similar shop can set you up.
Old 06-21-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I saw one in Florida that was on a 75' motor yacht that the owner purchased on Ebay. It was pretty simple, made of aluminum diamond grid, and had a fold-down rail on one side. It weighed about 50 pounds, and was about 6-feet long and 18 inches wide. He also had some glue-on strips that resembled course sandpaper that were about 12 inches X 1-inch and provided great traction when the gangplank was wet. He paid about $250 for it, which I thought was a great bargain.

Gary
Old 06-21-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Try this, adjustable too.

PA210 10'-17' Aluminum Extension Plank
Old 06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The quick and easy way might be to buy a six foot aluminum ladder, then screw a piece of 1/4" plywood on top of it as the footing.

Plans for a gangplank...I kind of have to cringe at the thought. I mean, it is two rails, some crossmembers, and something to walk on, and if you need plans for that, you may be best off simply buying one. Like, the ladder plus something to lay on top of it. The ladder will be about the simplest, lightest, strongest piece of fabricated aluminum you can find for the job, and the best way to do it. Bolt two "cart" wheels on the dock end if you want it to roll instead of scrape as the gangway moves. The guys in Ace Hardware or any similar shop can set you up.
Hey sorry the 'plans' comment. It was really about trying to figure out what the least of mount of structure would need to be built to hold a specified weight. You are right, the building it was easy, I just want to build it with the least amount of material.

The ladder/plywood is good.

However, I would question the ability of anyone in an Ace Hardware store to come up with anything that is practical. Ace Hardware stores are like 7-11 to grocery stores. But then again, some of the bigger home repair stores are manned with the same types of blethering idiots.
Old 06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Try this, adjustable too.

PA210 10'-17' Aluminum Extension Plank

Guess I need to reemphasize the 'cheap' part of my request.
Old 06-21-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Solvit Deluxe XL Telescoping Pet Ramp

Only 18lbs and supports 300lbs

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-21-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

You don't want to buy it, but go to a motorcycle shop and look at loading ramps.
Old 06-21-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
Guess I need to reemphasize the 'cheap' part of my request.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tras...63%3B800%3B536
Old 06-21-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

A good medical equipment supply company should be able to show you a number of styles & sizes of portable wheelchair ramps. Don't know your physical or financial constraints, but they should give you some ideas.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.