Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road
Re: My $4,500 US B-2 Visa Saga - a cautionary tale

DHS, TSA, IRS, CIA. Hell, if it's got a three letter acronym, it's got to go! Join the Revolution, ain't that the truth!. Oathkeeper.
Old 06-22-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I am just a stupid Australian but I can work out the USA entry requirements. Why cant you?

Entry to the USA isnt difficult IF you follow their requirements. Andrea wont be able to get into many other countries either... including Australia and New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia amongst a host of others. So you better curtail your cruise or get with the Visa infomation world wide!

Its not that hard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Roger,
Thank you for your dedicated service to our country.
Old 06-22-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I am just a stupid Australian but I can work out the USA entry requirements. Why cant you?
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

I guess because I am just a stupid American. I assumed (which makes an a^& out of you an me) that since Andy could (in theory) get in on an ESTA there would be no problem with the visa. Of course it turned out that I was wrong. The entire point of my post was not "sour grapes" but to protect other fools like me.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 06-22-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Andrea wont be able to get into many other countries either... including Australia and New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia amongst a host of others.
I would point out that New Zealand has the Slovak Republic on its visa waiver list which gives me no confidence at all.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 06-22-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

I guess because I am just a stupid American. I assumed (which makes an a^& out of you an me) that since Andy could (in theory) get in on an ESTA there would be no problem with the visa. Of course it turned out that I was wrong. The entire point of my post was not "sour grapes" but to protect other fools like me.
The US visa system is muddled, to say the least. Sadly, she had a better shot of walking across the border than trying to do it legally. Those who don't know that are often shocked by system. Go to two different windows in a single immigration office and you may get two different answers to the same question.

Talk to anyone who has married someone from another country and needed to get them a green card. I never have done it but I have many friends who have. It's beyond silly, worse than the tax code.
Old 06-24-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
From what I can understand of the OP’s account below he had researched and thought he had ’worked out’ the entry requirements, but yeah he got caught out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
The United States code does not permit travel under the "visa waver" program to the United States on a private sailboat. You must arrive on an "approved carrier" which means a commercial flight. Andy could have applied for an ESTA, flown to Miami for about $150 and stayed in a hotel while I brought Reboot back to the United States.
I did my Internet research. It said that Andy needed a B-2 visitors visa for entry on Reboot.
Quote:
Its not that hard!
From one stupid Aussie to another, sometimes you can come across as a rude (expletive deleted) mate.
bljones likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by tdw; 06-26-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: language
Old 06-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
The US visa system is muddled, to say the least. Sadly, she had a better shot of walking across the border than trying to do it legally. Those who don't know that are often shocked by system. Go to two different windows in a single immigration office and you may get two different answers to the same question.

Talk to anyone who has married someone from another country and needed to get them a green card. I never have done it but I have many friends who have. It's beyond silly, worse than the tax code.
Friend of mine goes through that every year. She is from Korea, married to an american, they have two kids. Every year they cancel her card and work has to fire her. It takes about a month to get a new car and work re-hires her. You would think after 8 years, they would have figured out she is here perminently and not going anywhere.

Another friend married a Lithouanian girl. They had a kid and her green card expired, leaving her in limbo. She can't work, she can't drive, she can't even leave the country...

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-24-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Once again the mess with visa and immigration raises its ugly head. Once upon a time you could expect the government to be somewhat reasonable, and now since they are worried that every grandmother and her cat are terrorists they use it for an excuse to just do stupid things.
Old 06-25-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Sorry to read of your problems shipmate but you just explained why it is easier to just break the law than try to deal with bureaucrats.

Shame really