Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
My $4,500 US B-2 Visa Saga - a cautionary tale

For those of you with non-US nationals on board considering visiting the United States...

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Apparently not if you are from Slovakia and want to arrive in the United States by private sailboat.

It seemed so simple. I wanted help bringing Reboot back to the United States for a yard period. I needed to visit my doctors and wanted to share my family and beautiful country. Andrea (a citizen of Slovakia and the European Union) had been sailing with me for six months. We had been in and out of 10+ countries in the Caribbean with no problem. The United States code does not permit travel under the "visa waver" program to the United States on a private sailboat. You must arrive on an "approved carrier" which means a commercial flight. Andy could have applied for an ESTA, flown to Miami for about $150 and stayed in a hotel while I brought Reboot back to the United States.

I did my Internet research. It said that Andy needed a B-2 visitors visa for entry on Reboot. There are only two places in the Caribbean with an American Embassy. The obvious choice was Nassau in the Bahamas. I checked online for the visa wait times - 1 day.

The process is typically bureaucratic. First you apply. Then you pay. Then you go for an interview. Then you wait. We applied. I helped Andy translate the questions. It took 5 hours to fill out the application. Since the only place you can pay the fee is in Nassau I sent the Embassy an email and asked for special consideration to book the interview and then pay. I was turned down.

We arrived in Nassau. I went to the web site for directions to the "Cash-and-Go" to pay and found out that they take credit cards over the Internet. I paid and found out the next interview opening was 8 days later. We stayed in the marina at $100 per day and waited for the interview.

Andy went to the interview. Because she has very limited English language skills the "consular officer" invited me to come in and help translate. What I was asked to translate was that they were turning Andy down for a visa because she did not have a reason to go back to Slovakia. I explained that we were sailing the world and that Andy had no interest in going to Slovakia as we were heading for Mexico, Belize Guatemala, etc. on our way to the Pacific once Reboot was fixed. I offered to purchase an airplane ticket to Slovakia. I pointed out that we had be in 10+ countries in the past 6 months and never had a problem. Nothing I said made any difference.

Now it turns out that "consular officers" have the final say. No appeal rights. No other recourse.

I contacted my Congressman. I spoke to a very nice staff person. She said she would do what she could but that this is a story they have heard over and over and not to get my hopes up.

I figured, OK, I understand how this goes. So I purchased a plane ticket to Miami and a plane ticket in August to Slovakia. Andy applied for an ESTA under the visa waver program. Turn around time - 3 days. Outcome - turned down - we presume because she had been turned down for the visa. Scratch one non-refundable ticket to Miami.

We saw the hand writing on the wall. I purchased Andy a ticket on British Airways direct Nassau - London Heathrow. Then a car service to Stansted. A RyanAir ticket from London to Bratislava, Slovakia. We try to check in online. Check in online is blocked. We go to the airport - check in is no problem. (Of course I lost 10 pounds of sweat during the 24 hours before the flight worrying that they would not let her on the airplane.)

Andy gets on the plane and I sigh in relief. After all, what can go wrong now? She is an EU citizen traveling in the EU. Was I naive.

Andy arrives in London, gets her bags and goes to Customs. They take her apart. She spends about 2 1/2 hours in Customs while they empty her bag, sniff every bottle, and in general give her a hard time. Of course she doesn't speak enough English to understand what is going on. She is in tears.

They finally let her go. Of course the car service has long ago left. Apparently some kind soul with a telephone calls the car service and they say they will come back for an additional charge of 40 pounds. So back they come and on to Stansted. Where she of course misses the flight. RyanAir is not amused. The ticket was non-refundable. She did not fly. Tough luck. Purchase another ticket. So after sleeping in the airport all night she gets on the morning flight to Bratislava.

Andy does not live in Bratislava. She lives in Trencin, about 100 km away. After driving to Bratislava and finding no Andy her family returned home and drove back the next day. European fuel prices being what they are, and the terrible economy in Slovakia make this more than a minor annoyance.. But she at last arrives home.

So after paying for the marina, airline tickets, visa fees, ESTA fees, car service fees, and cab fares to the airport I am out about $4,500. All because I wanted help bringing Reboot from Nassau to Miami.

Thank you United States Government. You make me proud to be a citizen that gave 30 years of his life serving in the United States Navy.

Fair winds and following seas.
CrazyRu and mark2gmtrans like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:

Last edited by svzephyr44; 06-21-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Formatting
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: My $4,500 US B-2 Visa Saga - a cautionary tale

You failed to plan ahead. You bought non-refundable tickets not knowing if they could be used. You perhaps missed the news while you were abroad, in 2001 the US was conquered by Al-Qaeda and all the travel and entry laws were changed.

Sounds like sour groups after naivete. The US does not "owe" entry to Slovakians or much of the rest of the world. And the US is not alone in that policy. Despite what you found in the Carib, there are many places in the world where arriving without the proper advance papers, and without the proper proof of paid departure ticket, will result in your being turned back or jailed. The US is not alone in this policy.

The 1950's have been gone for a long time. As you yourself said " Andy could have applied for an ESTA, flown to Miami for about $150 and stayed in a hotel while I brought Reboot back to the United States."

Join the Revolution. Remind Congress that the DHS commits domestic terrorism every day and hold them responsible for it.
Familycruisers likes this.
Old 06-21-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry to here your story. That just plain sucks.

I agree it is not a US only problem, as Hellosailor sadly it could of happened in any number of countries. Certainly could of happened in mine sadly.

Bureacracy's and bureacrats, what can I say.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 06-21-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

You should have brought her in on our mexican boarder and she would have gotten a check with free medical.....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 06-21-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
My $4,500 US B-2 Visa Saga - a cautionary tale

Funny enough, my wife is Slovak, from Trencin as well. Her sister came to visit before Slovakia was in the visa waiver program, and I remember she had to show significant ties to Slovakia in order to get a visa.

I feel for ya. The costs involved with getting my wife squared away after we got married were crazy.
Old 06-21-2013
Sailboat Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusc130 View Post
Funny enough, my wife is Slovak, from Trencin as well.
So, apparently, are half of the NHL all-stars. They have quite a hockey program in Trencin.

Web Site:

Blog:
Old 06-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

so basically, if the two of you had lied and said she was only going to be here until your efit and then you were sailing/flying back to Europe.. all would have been well?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-21-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am afraid that stories of similar problems are not uncommon.

Also be aware that the possession of a B2 visa does not give any guarantee of entry I personally know of two people who poled up to immigration and were denied entry and had their B2 visas cancelled on the spot.
Old 06-21-2013
Sailboat Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
so basically, if the two of you had lied and said she was only going to be here until your refit and then you were sailing/flying back to Europe.. all would have been well?
Actually that would not been lying. That was the plan: 90 days in the US, 90 days in Europe, take the boat south to the Panama Canal. I guess that going South might have been the problem - I don't know what would have happened if I said we were going to sail to Europe (unless the interviewer was a sailor - you don't sail to Europe in the fall!)

Web Site:

Blog:
Old 06-21-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusc130 View Post
Funny enough, my wife is Slovak, from Trencin as well.
So, apparently, are half of the NHL all-stars. They have quite a hockey program in Trencin.
Yes they do. She managed to get us back to the locker room to meet Chara at a couple Bruins games this yer and last. No finals tickets though....