SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Accused sailboat thief hung around marina for days before stealing boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100678-accused-sailboat-thief-hung-around-marina-days-before-stealing-boat.html)

shadowraiths 06-22-2013 01:26 AM

Accused sailboat thief hung around marina for days before stealing boat

The man charged with stealing a sailboat Thursday morning had been hanging around the Allen’s Cove marina for much of the past week and even befriended the owner of the boat.

That’s according to Brian McCormack, who said David Arthur Sharpe had been claiming ownership of the Celtic Myst, which is actually McCormack’s small sailboat.

When McCormack went to the marina early Thursday morning, he noticed a boat heading out the bay and thought it was early for someone to be out for a sail. He was stunned to soon realize it was his boat.

“We called the RNC, but they said they didn’t have the expertise to go out on the water, so we called the (Canadian) Coast Guard,” said McCormack.

The vessel was out around Meadows Point, about a 15-minute sail from the marina. A group of six or seven club members boarded a vessel and went out to check on the Celtic Myst.

When they got there, McCormack and another member boarded the Celtic Myst and found Sharpe in the boat.

“He still insisted that the boat was his,” said McCormack.

[...]

“There is something obviously wrong with this young man and I hope he gets whatever help he needs,” said McCormack. “The marina is a very safe place and we have never had any issues like this before.”
link

Unkle Toad 06-22-2013 02:46 AM

Re: Accused sailboat thief hung around marina for days before stealing boat

sad story, Im glad it all turned out ok and realy hope the guy gets the help he needs.

I couldnt imagine getting to the marina and my boat was gone. ok I dont have one but if I did I couldnt imagine it.

mad_machine 06-22-2013 07:50 AM

that has to be a sick feeling to see an open slip or mooring where your boat was

blutoyz 06-22-2013 07:59 AM

The first thing I would think is...

Damn, I forgot to tie it up again...

SHNOOL 06-22-2013 08:02 AM

Blutoyz, about spit out my breakfast on that one...
I've forgotten a lot of things, but never forgot to tie up... but my thoughts would be similar... like "crap it came untied."

bljones 06-22-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blutoyz (Post 1047798)
The first thing I would think is...

Damn, I forgot to tie it up again...

"Again"?

Minnewaska 06-22-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowraiths (Post 1047743)

“He still insisted that the boat was his,” said McCormack...

Not uncommon for the mental midgets of the criminal industry. When confused or unsure what to do, they just stick to their story.

jephotog 06-22-2013 10:24 AM

That does it from now on I am reporting anyone suspicious hanging out around the marina.

bobperry 06-22-2013 10:37 AM

My boat partner called on Sunday night and asked how my sail was that day. I told him that I had not been out sailing. He said that he had gone down to the boat to get away from his inlaws and that the boat was gone. Surprise! It turned out that a "friend" now a very well known yacht designer of fast boats, had "borrowed" the boat for a sail without asking. Monday morning, he was working for me, I asked him about it as he had borrowed the boat on another occasion with our permission. He admitted to taking it and I let him know calmly that this was not cool. 30 minutes later my partner's wife came in the door and ripped the guy a new one in a very loud and shrill voice. Justice served. I never quite looked at that guy the same way after that.

TQA 06-22-2013 11:20 AM

45 ft Bavaria 2012 from Sail Grenadines company charter yachts was stolen from Chatam Bay Union Island last weekend. Not been reported since.

It was on a mooring buoy and must have been taken, if it had just broken free it would be either be washed up on the waterfront or the reef.