SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is this?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·

See less See more
#8 ·
She was a beauty for sure. I couldn't see the flag she flew as there was little wind and it just lay against the staff. They had the US courtesy flag on the port spreader.

She appeared to be about 70' or so.
The flag is from the Marshall Islands one of the ports of convenience used by many expensive yacht owners to avoid US tax.

I hope that courtesy flag is on the starboard spreader where courtesy flags are supposed to be flown.

#9 ·
She might be on the bubble for this. Every time my wife sees a big beauty, she googles its name. For the big flashy boats, she finds them without exception. 90% of the time, they are listed for charter. Probably a tax dodge, not a real charter boat. 80% of the time, they are for sale. 70% of the time, they have their own domained webpage, with pics and a spot tracker so you can follow their narcissistic owner around the globe.

The bigger they are, the more likely they are custom and the builder themselves has some advertising about their job or their refit.

Once, we googled this monster ******** we were anchored next to. Must have been pushing 200 ft. Sure enough, up comes its history, custom builder and owner. A little further down the page were some newspaper hits about the owner, that mentioned his boat. He was a NYC mob boss.

Good to know. Got instantly creepy. Thought we would pass on the sundowners........

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the correction - I guess I don't know port from starboard this early in the AM.

I also didn't get the name -- the transom folded down for the swim platform/garage.

I should have thought to check Marine Traffic to see if they had AIS.

If it wasn't a captained charter, then the owner had professional crew or maybe they all just wore uniforms.

PS did anyone notice she was displaying the proper day shape? I think its the first time I've ever seen a boat do that on the Chesapeake. (Though I'd argue it could be a bit higher).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.