Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Binocular Conundrum: Field of View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Brian-
I don't mind the move at all, but "kids" has got nothing to do with anything. I posted the opening question in the General Interest / General Discussion area, unless the mouse slipped and dropped it elsewhere?
Although, it should show kids why they don't want to cut class when all those pointy geometry and trig things are being taught. (G) Personally I thought spherical trig was a special form of abuse, until years later when it made a whole lot of sense for celestial nav.
Yep. Somehow it got dropped in the Kids forum. I blame TDW. Not sure why, but he makes a nice target.

Carry on!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brian-
Well, considering the eight or ten seconds it took while my page moved around and reloaded THREE TIMES just now, thanks to all the crapware from advertisers who need to be housebroken (or horsewhipped, please?)...thanks for the cleanup.

And now back to our main program.

noelex, you totally misread me. I never mentioned the pupil, as in the pupil of the eye, as being a factor in this. What I said was the the EXIT PUPIL of the binocs is all the same, and THAT is stated to be a limiting factor by all the binoc makers. That is, the field of light coming out of the binocs is constrained to a circle 4.2mm in size at the point where is focuses on the retina. (At least, that's how some of them define it.)

Just got off the phone with perhaps the most highly respected brand name of German glass and their answer was "well we use extra-dispersion glass instead of...and..." in other words, they hadn't got a clue as to what FOV even was.

So I fired up the inverse tanget finagler, which says the difference between some of the FOV numbers (like 268/336/375 which seem to represent the spread for 10x42 glasses from multiple sources) correspond to a difference of 5.11d/6.21d/7.32d in terms of the degrees of the actual conve of vision in the binocs. A plus-or-minus one degree change would account for the different FOV, but that also would change the magnification from roughly 9x to 12x as well. Given, again, that the size of the image on the retina is a fixed and limiting factor for all of these.

Now, if they are full of FUD, it is also possible that the narrower FOV glasses will simply present a black ring around the image, rather than filling the retina. That would explain it very simply, allowing for the "exit pupil" to remain the size size, if they are defining "exit pupil" incorrectly and somewhat misleadingly.
Looking at my own 7x50's, which claim a 366 foot FOV, there's a black outer ring, so maybe the ones with the narrower FOV simply have bigger black rings? And the gentle manufacturers are trying to ignore mentioning their bonics often have tinier images?
Old 07-04-2013

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

noelex, you totally misread me. I never mentioned the pupil, as in the pupil of the eye, as being a factor in this. What I said was the the EXIT PUPIL of the binocs is all the same, and THAT is stated to be a limiting factor by all the binoc makers. That is, the field of light coming out of the binocs is constrained to a circle 4.2mm in size at the point where is focuses on the retina. (At least, that's how some of them define it.)
?
The same comments apply to the exit pupil.( not surprisingly as this should coincide with the eyes pupil). All the image goes through all parts of the exit pupil. If we chop off part of the exit pupil we do not loose part of the image, the image just becomes less bright.

The exit pupil is not on the retina. It has nothing to do with the retina. It is is the same position as the eyes pupil (technically slightly incorect, but close enough without confusing the issue)

The exit pupil can be the same size with a very different FOV. We can reduce the exit pupil without effecting the FOV.

If we chop of some of the light in front or behind the exit pupil we will loose some image. This is why its important the position of the binoculars exit pupil ( the eye relief) at the the same position as eyes pupil, otherwise if the eyes pupil is smaller than the light circle parts of the view will be obscured so the FOV will be reduced.
This is why people using glasses need binoculars with a long eye relief. The glasses move the eyes pupil further back and the exit pupil of the binoculars must be also be moved back or portions of the image will be cut off.
The eye relief is the position of the exit pupil of the binoculars and this should match the position of the eyes pupil.

Last edited by noelex77; 07-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit late on this thread, perhaps you haven't purchased a pair yet?
I broke down and paid the "big" bucks on the stabilized binos and am very happy I did. You can get more powerful ones (10 or 12 X magnification verses 8, the standard for small craft) as the stabilizing really does work and field of vision is not a factor when you can stay on target.
Again, this is another (of few) new items that greatly exceeds the hype, in performance.
My $650.00 8X50 rubber coated "marine" binos w/ compass never get used any more.
Old 07-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"The exit pupil is not on the retina. It has nothing to do with the retina. It is is the same position as the eyes pupil (technically slightly incorect, but close enough without confusing the issue)"
I understand that. But in this context, all eyeballs are the same size and all retinas are the same size, and that puts them all in the same position/geometry in relation to the exit pupil of the binocs. If the binocs had a 50mm wide exit pupil--it wouldn't matter because the iris would cut off the image at ~6mm and the retina can only accomodate a certain image size, no matter what angle the image entering the eye is "expanding" to.
The size of the retina is a limiting factor. The length of the eyeball is a limiting factor. The size of the iris is a limiting factor. The exit pupil size is another limiting factor--and the only relevant one that can be changed by the binoc maker, within limits.

Capta, I have purchased bincos. Many years ago. I'm looking for something a little different now, and I don't want image stabilized. There's moving parts and electronics and stuff to break in there. I was po'd when an internal lens (prism?) shattered in my binocs one winter, while they were stored in the closet. Apparently it was mounted ever so slightly too tightly and after enough years--the tension shattered it. Nice suprise, huh? So, I'll stick to the ones with no moving parts and just borrow or oggle yours.(G)
Old 07-04-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Yep. Somehow it got dropped in the Kids forum. I blame TDW. Not sure why, but he makes a nice target.

Carry on!

Brian
Carefull CD or we'll bring speedo encased ape genitalia out into the open .... and you wouldn't want that now would you ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-04-2013

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"The exit pupil is not on the retina. It has nothing to do with the retina. It is is the same position as the eyes pupil (technically slightly incorect, but close enough without confusing the issue)"
I understand that. But in this context, all eyeballs are the same size and all retinas are the same size, and that puts them all in the same position/geometry in relation to the exit pupil of the binocs. If the binocs had a 50mm wide exit pupil--it wouldn't matter because the iris would cut off the image at ~6mm and the retina can only accomodate a certain image size, no matter what angle the image entering the eye is "expanding" to.
The size of the retina is a limiting factor. The length of the eyeball is a limiting factor. The size of the iris is a limiting factor. The exit pupil size is another limiting factor--and the only relevant one that can be changed by the binoc maker, within limits.
)
The exit pupil does not limit the field of view.

Nor does the size of the retina, or the size of the iris.

The whole of the FOV passes through each point in the exit pupil. The exit pupil and/or the iris could be made minutely small and the FOV would be unchanged (but the image would be very dull)

The binocular manufacturer can modify the FOV without altering the exit pupil size.