Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

I guess because I am usually, 90% of the time, single handing, including my row out to the mooring, I have adopted the habit of wearing my inflatable all the time. All the time, that is, when I am on the salt water here in Maine. I have "seen" some tragic accidents that have both cost a life or nearly have. Falling off the dock almost drowned a friend in Eastport. Someone saw his hat floating in the water and went in looking for him. He survived. Another good friend fell off his boat at his mooring in Northeast Harbor and no one heard his yells for help. He couldn't get into his dinghy and almost lost the battle to hypothermia. Accidents are just that, accidents. I am as used to putting on my inflatable as my sunglasses. It has a pocket for my hand held vhf and that is convenient. I like the red accent, too. Very stylish!

There are times I am on the water that I do not wear one. I paddle canoes and still do a little racing. When I am paddling a positive floatation flat water boat on flat water I have one in the boat but don't wear it. In white water races or on long camping cruises that involve crossing large lakes with a loaded canoe, I wear one.

If you have been close to the tragic. permanent, loss from a drowning that, could have been prevented with a PFD, It might temper your perspective on the slight inconvenience of wearing one.

Be safe!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 07-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I always carry one in my bag. I bought a Sospender with harness a decade ago for an offshore race. I have worn it when things are getting ugly or if I have to go forward in choppy conditions and I am not on a well crewed boat.

On the offshore race we all wore them at night or when the wind picked up. We tethered into Jacklines at night or when going forward.

I wish I had bought the inflatable PFD without the harness, as I have not used the harness so much and would probably wear the PFD more often if it was lighter. If I was solo, in colder water or not a strong swimmer i would always wear it. When I am captain I insist all non swimmers or children wear a PFD.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We ALWAYS wear an inflatable PFD's while underway. And we have four extras for when guests come on board. Personally I love the SpinLock deckvests, so comfy! But SpinLocks are not USCG approved so we have extra std PFD's in case of boarding by USCG. Guests are relegated to wear Revere PFD's, but they are comfortable also. We often have the grandkids aboard so it helps cut down their complaining on wearing PFD's if everyone wears one.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 07-11-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
Both Baltic and Crewsaver make them. Most other manufacturers here offer life jackets with crotch straps and you can buy sprayhoods to retrofit onto your existing gear.
I don't think that any of the European brands are USCG approved, which limits their appeal (and therefore availability) in the US. Even Spinlock, which is sold here, isn't USCG approved. I'm guessing that the market isn't big enough and the local competition well established so they just don't bother. Of the US manufacturers, as far as I am aware, Mustang is the only one who sells a retrofit crotch straps and no one offers spray hoods - anybody know different?

Retrofitting a spray hood isn't easy unless the life jacket was designed for one. You would have to come up with a method of attachment (the one's I've seen have a loop on the life jacket cover and a toggle on the hood) and there has to be enough room to roll up the hood and fit it inside the cover. Not impossible to accommodate on a jacket that wasn't designed for it but not plug & play. If the loop and the space are included in the design, then it's just a matter of including the hood or offering it separately.
Old 07-11-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

So I was curious and did a little looking.

I found spray hoods but they are kept in a separate pouch - not very convenient.
Life Jacket Sprayhood

And crotch straps aren't too difficult to find.
PFD Crotch / Thigh Strap
Old 07-11-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

A couple weeks ago I went dinghy sailing on a local city lake. Club rules require a PFD, so I threw my type III in my backpack and biked over to the lake. That afternoon there was a thank-you event for a charity I do stuff for, so after sailing I biked over to that. They had a drawing and I won two 12-packs of cans of beer! Yay me!

Except I'm on my bike. I'm not one to turn away free beer, so I did some rearranging and managed to fit both 12-packs in my backpack, although I couldn't get the zipper to close and now I had a PFD to deal with.

What's the obvious solution? Wear it.

It started to rain at about this point. As I made my way out of the event three separate people said to me "It's not raining that hard." But anyway, yeah, that was me biking through the rain with an open backpack full of beer wearing a PFD.

So yes, I wear a life jacket. And not just while I'm in a boat!
Bene505, Brewgyver and -OvO- like this.
Old 07-11-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Believe if you fall off the boat you are likely DEAD. Believe tether more important than life jacket. Wear combo tether/life jacket always when singling passage making which is nearly always as sail with my Admiral so one up one down or even when crewed as usually one on watch at a time. Day sailing with a crowd ( 3 or more) nothing but do our MOB drills and are race equipment compliant even don't race anymore. Believe money for hydrostatic trigger worth every penny. Time you are going to be harnessed is when it's wet. Don't want the damn thing going off when working the fore deck. Salt pellets melt.
P.S. - have jacklines for going forward but also ring of jacklines just below seats in cockpit. Have experienced nearly floating out of the cockpit a couple of times so think it important to always be clipped in if conditions warrant.

Last edited by outbound; 07-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
So yes, I wear a life jacket. And not just while I'm in a boat!
Another analogy for sailing and biking. You could have also just drank the beer for biking home or enough till the PFD fit.
chef2sail and Minnesail like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Another analogy for sailing and biking. You could have also just drank the beer for biking home or enough till the PFD fit.
Or to keep your backpack empty (and therefore zipped-up and dry), tape the beer cans to the outside of the life jacket, going all the way around your body.

Then attach wires going from can to can.

Be sure to show how happy you are, wave dramatically at everyone on the way home.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 07-11-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

And make sure I go through Government Center on my way?

And if I saw my friend Jihad who works there I could wave both my arms and yell "Jihad! Jihad!"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.