Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
I do wear a life jacket/inflatable with sailing knife, strobe light,VHF radio, laser flare, the whole ball of wax. (whistle too) Let me tell you why. One lovely evening I was sailing back from Annancapa Island without a life vest. The wind was fading but there was still a nice little swell coming in about every 8-9 seconds apx 3 ft. I was standing on the cockpit seats when a rather large wave came rolling through and I lost my balance and fell full force against the life lines. They held but I thought if I had fallen just a foot or to higher I would be overboard looking at a 4-5 mile swim in fading light in mid 60's water temps. Not good. It was mid week so there were no other boats in sight except for a distant freighter trucking North at about 20-25 kts. How could they have seen me fall? They couldn't. Any way, I do wear it all the time and this is just one reason why.

Brad
Lancer 36
Yup, something like that will make a believer out of anyone, I suppose...

Still, that particular example seems an argument more in favor of wearing a harness/tether, instead of a life vest...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Does the boat itself impact anyone's decision on whether to wear a life jacket all the time? Is there a difference between single handing a J24 and walking the decks of a cruise ship? If so, where is the breakpoint?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does the boat itself impact anyone's decision on whether to wear a life jacket all the time? Is there a difference between single handing a J24 and walking the decks of a cruise ship? If so, where is the breakpoint?
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone has different "breakpoint"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-16-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Of course it does... But I would suggest that deck ergonomics are far more important than boat size, that there is far less risk leaving the cockpit of a boat such as a Cape George 31, than many larger modern designs featuring narrow side decks, minimal toe rails, huge cockpit coamings, and sculpted and multi-faceted decks... But it also seems any such "breakpoint" will vary considerably from one individual to the next, and rightfully so...

I'll never be in the "wear one all the time" camp, as I made clear earlier in this thread, I honestly can't recall the last time I wore a vest... Probably on a delivery of a V-42 to the islands the year before last, and primarily to simply 'set an example' for my crew, one of whom was my oldest nephew... :-)

My attitude has always been akin to the most sensible view towards reefing: I will don a life vest, or a harness and tether, whenever the thought occurs to me, that NOW might be a sensible time to do so... But, not before... :-)

It's worked fine for me so far, but others' mileage may vary, of course...
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 07-16-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps. "single handing" is a key?

I don't wear one all the time I am on he water either. Yesterday the Admiral and I went for a paddle on Merrymeeting Bay in one of our canoes , here in Maine. It is tidal and has considerable current in places. We had pfds in the boat. The boat is positively buoyant and if we capsized it (it happens to us from time to time) we could easily reach out and grab the boat. If the boat was going to be out of reach or I was alone or large waves and current were going to complicate getting back out of the water or we were a mile from shore.... You can stand up in most of Merryingmeeting Bay. Nuf said.

Maine wardens are searching for someone this morning. The boat was found around 6:00 pm yesterday on one of the lakes with the motor running, fishing lines still deployed. Someone has lost a child and possibly a dad and husband, brother or sister. Forever! Sad! I am guessing whoever is missing did not expect to be out of their boat. It does happen all the time. It was an "Accident".

Be safe when you can.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 07-16-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
You can do whatever you want...

But I wear my PFD with light and whistle when underway and I don it before I leave the dock. I take it off when in the cabin unless it is just a duck-in to get or check something and when at anchor (my swim ladder is always deployed while at anchor).

I always wear it when in my dink.

And anybody who sails with me in my boat follows the same rules.
woohoo...party boat
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 07-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone has different "breakpoint"?
I would think so, but some say all the time, no matter what.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then leaving Terra Firma is their breakpoint.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 07-16-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's just easier to remove any judgement calls. It's just automatic now, we don't even think about it. The grand kids certainly get it. I hope long term when these kids grow up; when they think of boats they think PFD's. Got to start them early and consistency is the key.
Old 07-16-2013

Everyone should make year own choice and I'm fine with setting the example each feels important.

But, every boat, every time? Seems hard to believe, is all.

Jeanneau 54DS