Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Everyone should make year own choice and I'm fine with setting the example each feels important.

But, every boat, every time? Seems hard to believe, is all.
Yup, it's just a joint decision the Admiral and I made. To each their own, absolutely. The acid test will be when we are bebopping between islands in the BVI in 82 degree water with an 85 degree warm wind coming at us. We spent a lot time down there sailing without PFD's. It is an easy decision in the PNW with 47 degree water and swift currents. I think our decision to have the grand kids active on the boat with us as much as possible was our key decision point.

To each their own though. I get it.

Last edited by kellysails; 07-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Once you are sailing in the BVIs, you'll probably shuck your BVD's, let alone your PFDs...

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013

boatman61 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

No...
Nope... don't use those either...
Old 07-16-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket? So here's one for you...

I wear my inflatable vest like I wear a seatbelt. It's pretty much automatic and very automatic if I'm out alone. I also wore it automatically when racing; not everyone chose to, but no one made fun of me or anything like that either.

Last week I was invited to go out on a good friend's powerboat. Although I've known him for a long time, I'd never been out on the boat with him before. I automatically planned to put on my inflatable vest, but thought twice about it, wondering if it would make him think I thought he was incompetent if I showed up wearing a life vest, so I left the vest in the bag. The trip was completely uneventful and he was in every way a competent seaman, but I'm curious; what would you have done in this circumstance - wear the vest or not?
Bruce_L likes this.
Old 07-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have no problem with anyone wearing a pfd while aboard, despite whether I do. It would never make me feel slighted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-17-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Re: Do you wear a life jacket? So here's one for you...

Great point.

Interesting situation...I would wear one leaving the dock and again coming back into the dock. And any trips forward on the bow I would toss it on. I think if in the cabin, where most of the time is spent, I would take it off. The powerboaters that I know would smirk a bit "wise ass sailor" they would think but not an issue. They have all seen me come into and leave the dock with one on. I am in the minority in our marina in this regard, maybe 10% at most wear them. It is sensitive though, hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I wear my inflatable vest like I wear a seatbelt. It's pretty much automatic and very automatic if I'm out alone. I also wore it automatically when racing; not everyone chose to, but no one made fun of me or anything like that either.

Last week I was invited to go out on a good friend's powerboat. Although I've known him for a long time, I'd never been out on the boat with him before. I automatically planned to put on my inflatable vest, but thought twice about it, wondering if it would make him think I thought he was incompetent if I showed up wearing a life vest, so I left the vest in the bag. The trip was completely uneventful and he was in every way a competent seaman, but I'm curious; what would you have done in this circumstance - wear the vest or not?
Old 07-17-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

To each their own...

but no freaking way am I wearing a PFD on the docks...if I have a tendency to fall of the dock (sober), I will stop boating all together! If I can't walk down a dock without being concerned about drowning I have no business being on a boat in the first place.

Of course, I have a motorcycle too...many would not find that a very safe form of travel but I am willing to take the risk with a cautious attitude
jephotog, chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 07-17-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
To each their own...

but no freaking way am I wearing a PFD on the docks...if I have a tendency to fall of the dock (sober), I will stop boating all together! If I can't walk down a dock without being concerned about drowning I have no business being on a boat in the first place.

Of course, I have a motorcycle too...many would not find that a very safe form of travel but I am willing to take the risk with a cautious attitude
Jeeze, I meant during the "act" of the boat leaving the dock and arriving at the dock. Not wearing while walking up and down the dock yikes!
Old 07-17-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I wasn't necessarily reacting to your post, just a general note to self I suppose

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.