Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Yes , I wore my old Canadian tire top of the line PFD faithfully, then I got one of the new mustang inflatables, the only difference I see other than comfort is that it requires me to pull a cord to activate and fill it with air, what if I'm injured going overboard , my old one dosent require any action if I'm disoriented. It's comfort verses safty with the inflatable one I bought, but even if it were self inflating there is still a possibility of failure with the inflatables that does not exist with a PFD.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Thirty years ago I had a LoneStar-13 dinghy and hardly ever work a life jacket and often had it tucked in the cubby. Last summer I sailed a 12 foot Paceship and wore it all the time. The boat didn't seem as stable or i was not as comfortable and for the first time I capsized in the middle of the lake. The guy with me didn't have his on, but fortunately it was near by.. I say fortunately because even though the boat had positive flotation, when it filled with water we couldn't bail it out.

I think I will wear a jacket all the time now.. To me it is like a seat belt, I might only be in one accident that I needed it... I just can't predict when that will be. On a boat, you never know if the time you go in the water if you are going to crack your head on the way over...

Ironically when I am in a motor boat I don't think of wearing them, of course if there was a lot of heeling I might change my mind.

I ride in a ferry several times a year... I don't wear one then.... but I ALWAYS look for where the life jackets are stored. I would do the same on a cruise ship

Vector X + Y
Old 12-31-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

I think you're supposed to attach your harness in such a way that you don't exit the boat ever.

I sail in the Puget Sound, and as has been mentioned over and over, its super cold year-round. My limbs would stop being useful to me in about 10 to 15 minutes in that water, so I wear a mustang inflatable at all times on deck.

In Caribbean waters I'm less concerned.

However, I always always always bring the type IV throwable into the cockpit and ready to throw at a moment's notice. If someone goes in without a PFD, I want them to have something to grab within seconds.
Old 12-31-2013
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Harness didn't help this guy.

Yacht Cowrie Dancer (australian) In Trouble In Southern Ocean - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

To be fair, the PFD didn't, either.
Old 12-31-2013

johnsail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
I think you're supposed to attach your harness in such a way that you don't exit the boat ever.

I sail in the Puget Sound, and as has been mentioned over and over, its super cold year-round. My limbs would stop being useful to me in about 10 to 15 minutes in that water, so I wear a mustang inflatable at all times on deck.

In Caribbean waters I'm less concerned.

However, I always always always bring the type IV throwable into the cockpit and ready to throw at a moment's notice. If someone goes in without a PFD, I want them to have something to grab within seconds.
I sail in warmer waters on the East Coast and to and from Bermuda. My big problem is getting from the bottom of the companionway ladder to the deck, and then to behind the helm quickly yet securely. My personal rule is that any task requiring two hands presents at least an option, and often an obligation, to hook on with a safety harness with its "third hand," the tether. Two-handed jobs include: climbing up a ladder, stepping out of a companionway, making your way aft in a cockpit that may be crowded with lines or shipmates' legs, sliding around a large-diameter steering wheel, and then taking the helm.

This short exercise may seem easy on paper but it can be unsteady, especially if you have to stand upright. Here's where the safety harness (with PFD), tether, and jackline come into play. The backup is the cushion or Lifesling tossed to the swimmer by an alert shipmate.
Old 12-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
Well the quote
Quote:
The power of the wave ripped 55 year old Blackman overboard, even though he was attached to the yacht by his safety harness. He was not seen again.
Does not really make sense. I could see being injured, and even drowned if a huge wave hit you while tethered. Unless the tether actually failed, or the attachment point failed. It does not really go into detail, my guess would be that he had to reach something that was out of reach of the tether when trying to get the downed mizzen mast off the boat and disconnected the tether. A real shame.
Old 12-31-2013

Networker is on a distinguished road

Dumb newbie question, but do auto inflatable PFD's inflate in rainstorms?
The Following User Says Thank You to Networker For This Useful Post:
titustiger27 (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Dumb newbie question, but do auto inflatable PFD's inflate in rainstorms?
Some are based on a dissolving tablet and they can inflate just from getting wet. Others are hydrostatic, which are based on water pressure, and they actually have to be underwater to inflate.
Old 01-01-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Unless the tether actually failed, or the attachment point failed. It does not really go into detail, my guess would be that he had to reach something that was out of reach of the tether when trying to get the downed mizzen mast off the boat and disconnected the tether. A real shame.
Everything has a load limit.
I remember reading that the hook on someone's teather straightened out under load.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...ea+Studies.pdf

Test Setup
In this test, a harness was placed on a 220 pound dummy. Each tether to be tested was attached
to the harness and the dummy was raised up to a quick release shackle such that when the
shackle was released, the dummy would free fall 6.6 feet. Failure criteria include "flaws, defects,
or deterioration after testing that would jeopardize the safety of the wearer".

Test Results

General Comments on the Tethers:
We were somewhat surprised that there were so many tether failures. 47% of the tethers failed in
such a way as to endanger the wearer. Failures were both in the hardware, stitching, or
sometimes both. Build quality of the tethers varied considerably from company to company.

This was based on only a 6' free fall.
It is easy to imagine conditions that could exceed that by several times.
For example a wave grabs you and instead of having only 300 lbs on your tether you have, including water weight 1,000 lbs or more.

So yea tether is great, probably the best we have but the forces that hit you can exceed the strength of anything you would be willing to wear.

Also assuming you did remain attached to the boat during an extreem encounter what are the chances that all of your bones will be be intact.
Old 01-01-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well the quote

Does not really make sense. I could see being injured, and even drowned if a huge wave hit you while tethered. Unless the tether actually failed, or the attachment point failed. It does not really go into detail, my guess would be that he had to reach something that was out of reach of the tether when trying to get the downed mizzen mast off the boat and disconnected the tether. A real shame.
Here, a better description of the accident:

"We broached the boat at one point, we lost the skipper overboard at that point. He was on the helm, he was tethered on, and he clung onto the back of the boat, and we caught another broach, and at that point, when we came up, at that point John had gone overboard....He said injuries and damage to the 17.5m ketch prevented the survivors from making a thorough search for their friend...Mr Blackman was wearing foul weather gear and a harness with an attached inflatable system when he was lost overboard. ''

'When we came up John was gone' - World - theage.com.au

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.