Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Like others, I always wear my Auto Mustang. I use the harness when I am sailing solo, or out of the Golden Gate (which equate to open ocean for me), or in rough weather.

If you have any doubts about this, look at reports of boating accidents and fatalities. In almost every fatality the person was not wearing a lifejacket. Especially among powerboat users, and jetski users.

A life jacket is essential!

As for essential devices, that is a rather open-ended question; it depends on the boat you are in (rowboat, 54 footer, etc). A good place to start is the USCG which mandates minimal safety equipment (e.g. flares, horns, etc). We can suggest others. depending on your situation.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013

mtitus is on a distinguished road

I ware it aways regardless of weather. Mustang w harness.
Old 06-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

It's your life. If you want to not wear a PFD its up to you. If you've already seen everything and lived everything you intend to then stay the course

Personally I were a mustang auto and am tethered in when by myself all the time when topside. It's the first thing discussed with any guests.

When with my wife is onboard anyone who gos outside the cockpit does so with a vest on.

Buy a comfortable vest or continue your current path to an eventual tragedy
Brewgyver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-23-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

I was recently 5-10 miles off the coast in the Gulf Stream off Miami. On a crew of 4 plus a 'captain' for 6 days sailing in the ocean coatal cruising i was the only one wearing a Pfd. I don't know why the others don't wear one.... I wear it like I wear my pants...it's an automatic given. I have too many people who love me not to take the simple precaution of a Pfd- same reason I wear seatbelts in a car--- for them. Now, if I was alone in life I would not care and I would not wear one. I wear it for others... Not me. Those who don't wear one tend to be loners who are not responsible to anyone. But if you love someone then wear the friggin Pfd already. Just sayin.

Old 06-23-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I wear a Mustang HIT all of the time, although I recently also purchased a Spinlock deckvest with integrated harness, leg straps etc for bigger races. During the winter I quite often wear a float suit.

Last edited by PaulinVictoria; 06-23-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: clarification!
Old 06-23-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

A conundrum!

First we purchased two automatic mustangs to make it "easier" to wear them all the time. No excuses! "What do we tell our guests?"... So we purchased two more automatics (without harnesses this time). They are a little less bulky. Strobes for all. There is room in all of them for two hand held pencil flares with light lanyards to keep them from floating away. If you are guest #3 we have vest type PFDs you can wear. Kids sizes, too. These are in the barn with the canoes unless they are needed. There are 4 "regular" offshore PFDs stowed aboard also. Wearing one of those would be uncomfortable, unless you were in the ocean waiting for rescue. O.K. Now the rule that everyone wears a pfd all the time on Tundra Down is reasonable and enforced. Ooops! We only have two survival suits!

Down
Old 06-23-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

I wear an automatic self inflating PFD all the time on the water and also when solo (or with just the kids) on the pontoon. Water is cold around here. You'll be amazed how quick you become hypothermic when immersed and how soon you loose both your strength and your ability to think and coordinate movements before you become unconscious. I feel naked without one. Can't really tell the junior crew of eight and ten years to wear one if I am not exemplary. Anybody ever jumped into the water with their pfd on ? I did a sea survival course with the RYA (which I can highly recommend to anybody wherever you sail). Jumping with full gear into a wave pool you soon understand why the RYA recommends that your PFD should have a crotch strap (its amazing how quick your PFD will pull up and away from you), a spray hood and a D ring for attaching a harness so you don't fall overboard in the first instance.
Old 06-23-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Crotch straps for the 4 automatics are this year's upgrade. They should come with them!!!

Down
Old 06-23-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Life jackets are for water. You should stay on board and make sure you stay o board as long as the boat is floating. If you are in the drink, what ever the conditions the possibility of death is very high. Stay on board. Make sure you are connected to a very strong point on the boat which will not let you fall to sea. Any type of connection which allows you to fall to sea coneected to the boat is fatal.

Use your pfd (it should be a life vest) in case your boat is sinking.
Omatako likes this.
Old 06-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
personally I think a harness is more important than a PFD, better to stay on the boat than anything else. If I were to travel offshore, even coastal I would demand a harness be wore 24/7, even while sleeping. Its not going to do much good when the sheet hits the fan and you have to wait for the harness to be put on.

The inflatables PFDs are super comfy, but if I knew heavy weather was coming I would wear my regular PFD. One snag on the inflatable PFD and it's toast.

Sailing around the bay in normal conditions with my family I typically do not wear any.
sailordave and bljones like this.

Photo by Joe McCary