Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

I had the "opportunity" to re board my boat during an unplanned swim. Calm conditions. I never lost contact with the boat. I was wearing a Mustang self inflating life vest and didn't get wet enough to trigger it! I never went under water. Getting back aboard using the deployed rope ladder at the stern was still a challenge. I am installing a rigid, fold down ss ladder this spring! I want three rungs below water level when it is down. I am looking for an appropriate ladder. Nothing less makes sense to me now!

Down
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by downeast450; 01-08-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdix View Post
I understand. Yet I have read dragging a line is a good idea. Maybe my dragging behind boat will force a change in direction causing the boat to go into irons? then drag myself back? Never been overboard but thinking ahead
Yes, I think the only way trailing a tag line makes sense, is if it were rigged to trip a windvane or trigger an autopilot to auto-tack, or whatever...

Still, it's better to just stay on the boat... :-)
Old 01-08-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

ALWAYS when under way. We bought ourselves some WM inflatables for Christmas. Nice switch from regular PFD's... don't even know you're wearing one after a few minutes.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 01-08-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Deckvest by spin lock has both. It's $369 at West Marine. It looks the coolest too.
And, interestingly, NOT USCG approved. Good thing to keep in mind, in terms of having enough APPROVED PFDs on board in case of inspection.

So, anybody know why these aren't approved???
Old 01-08-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I am installing a rigid, fold down ss ladder this spring! I want three rungs below water level when it is down. I am looking for an appropriate ladder. Nothing less makes sense to me now!
That is exactly what we have - three steps below the water line and a folding ladder I can pull down if needs be. We found ours at Bacons in Annapolis.

(Small pic but you can see it.)

Rik
Old 01-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post

So, anybody know why these aren't approved???
Because they haven't paid the ransom in the US. Many, including me, use them anyway and have some cheap legal pfd stuff in a locker.
Brewgyver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-08-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Because they haven't paid the ransom in the US. Many, including me, use them anyway and have some cheap legal pfd stuff in a locker.
While it's fashionable to blame the US Govt for everything these days, don't you think that the poor performance of Spinlock Deckvest in real-world situations might just have something to do with it? I wouldn't pay the inflated price for that thing, no matter how cool it looks:

Report Cites Problems with Spinlock Deckvests - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Quote:
The bladder on the Spinlock Deckvest (right) isn't integral to the vest as it is on most other designs like the Revere Comfortmax PFD Harness (left).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-08-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just found these pictures from my neighbor's driveway after the last hurricane.

I wonder how much force was exerted on that piece of rock and concrete.
Wonder how much a tether would have helped to keep it in place.

Please....

Given that it was already racked, little force was required. If the analogy was valid all surfers would be dead. You know this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-08-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
ALWAYS when under way. We bought ourselves some WM inflatables for Christmas. Nice switch from regular PFD's... don't even know you're wearing one after a few minutes.

If it were 100F you'd notice. Just saying.

A harness can be much cooler. None is cooler yet, if the weather fair. Oh well.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
While it's fashionable to blame the US Govt for everything these days, don't you think that the poor performance of Spinlock Deckvest in real-world situations might just have something to do with it? I wouldn't pay the inflated price for that thing, no matter how cool it looks:

Report Cites Problems with Spinlock Deckvests - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
Good read. Thanks. Certainly, the advantages of a Spinlock have nothing to do with looking cool. Does it look cool? That's news to me and rather snide on your part, I just find it comfortable. I like the integrated harness, crotch straps included, replaceable bladder and easily maintained trigger and inflator. Not to mention comfort. It must be maintained to work properly. All vests do.

It wasn't clear if the deceased was wearing crotch straps, but they were also caught up in the rigging for a time, IIRC. At least when I bought mine, the straps came with the vest and I consider them mandatory, no matter the vest. Maybe some find crotch straps uncomfortable or don't snug them properly.

I did start to drift off in the US sailing report, so maybe they noted the recency of maintenance to their vests.

The suggestion that any vest be tested in the water, inflated, is a great one. I will bet 99% of boaters have never done so. One should have in-water practice climbing into a raft as well, which I now believe it mandatory in Safety at Sea. It was available but not mandatory, when I last took it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.