Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Good read. Thanks. Certainly, the advantages of a Spinlock have nothing to do with looking cool. Does it look cool? That's news to me and rather snide on your part...
Not sure why you're directing this at me. I was referring to this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Deckvest by spin lock has both. It's $369 at West Marine. It looks the coolest too.
From the Practical Sailor pic and caption that I showed above, it sounds like there's a design deficiency with the Spinlock that makes it more likely to malfunction.

If I were looking to replace my WestMarine inflatable, I'd look closely at the Mustang MD3184 HIT vest/harness. A more traditional "suspenders" design for much less cost than the Spinlock, with the superior performance of the HIT mechanism. I tried one on at Safety at Sea training last spring, and it was very comfortable.

Until I go offshore, my current WM coastal vest is fine. I have a separate harness that I use when needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-09-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Not sure why you're directing this at me. I was referring to this post
Roger that. My apologies. Your post, however, quoted mine, not the other.

Quote:
From the Practical Sailor pic and caption that I showed above, it sounds like there's a design deficiency with the Spinlock that makes it more likely to malfunction.

If I were looking to replace my WestMarine inflatable, I'd look closely at the Mustang MD3184 HIT vest/harness. A more traditional "suspenders" design for much less cost than the Spinlock, with the superior performance of the HIT mechanism. I tried one on at Safety at Sea training last spring, and it was very comfortable.

Until I go offshore, my current WM coastal vest is fine. I have a separate harness that I use when needed.
Fit and comfort are individual. More power to whatever fits the best, as the willingness to wear it is probably the single greatest factor.

Integrated v. separate harnesses is also a personal preference. I offer that it seems to increase the odds one would have it on, when integrated. Again, to each their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

No, I never do. My wife, who is not as good a swimmer, wears and inflatable one, when in precarious situations.

I probably should get another inflatable, but I haven't yet, because I am a long time fitness swimmer and just feel so comfortable in the water. Of course, if I ever fell and got knocked out on the way in, I'd wish I had one.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-09-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'd look closely at the Mustang MD3184 HIT vest/harness. A more traditional "suspenders" design for much less cost than the Spinlock, with the superior performance of the HIT mechanism. I tried one on at Safety at Sea training last spring, and it was very comfortable.
That's the model I have, and I like it. You barely know it's there. I haven't used the harness on a tether (yet), but I did use it to go up a mast and it worked quite well.

Do they make a crotch strap you can add to it?
Old 01-10-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Because they haven't paid the ransom in the US. Many, including me, use them anyway and have some cheap legal pfd stuff in a locker.
Thanks, Minne, I was afraid that was the answer. I've run across that kind of stuff in other areas, even within the U.S. (e.g., bogus "safety" testing required by individual states for firearms).