Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
'''''''''''
After reading this thread I am going to look into an inflatable and think about wearing it when single handing in my home waters of Long Island Sound. I do disagree with the OP though, I think that throughout the summer the water is warm enough here to survive for quite a while.
You can disagree with the OP all you want about how long one can or can not survive in water if dumped overboard. LIS may be warm enough to survive for a bit, but here in the salish sea where it is 40F generally speaking year around, you have 5-15 min at best, generally speaking, before Hypothermia starts to set in. Hence why most folks use dry suits when scuba diving around here too!

Then the water can get rough out int he straight of Juan de Fuca that he cross's.....He is also in a 23' boat, with NO lifelines. So a harness should be part of his normal routine to a degree too.........

Then again as noted by some CG statistics, a lot do not wear them no matter where one is or conditions............

Reality is, a harness/tether and a proper PFD for the conditions should be a part of ones normal boating useage.

Marty
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I put my life jacket on when I leave the car and take it off when I get back to the car.
I have images of David wearing a bright orange PFD as he goes grocery shopping.
blt2ski, Faster and bljones like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

I noticed sailing the BVI's this winter that no one wore life jackets down there and was surprized by that. But then the water is warm and I can swim in salt water better, so got a bit lazy and didn't wear one much (plus the PFD's that came with the boat sucked).

Back on the cold waters of Lake Ontario, my inflatable is on from the moment we hit the dock and if the water is lumpy, my tether is close at hand and used if I need to go on deck.

I have heard that a lot of accidents happen when leaving or arriving at a dock - perhaps the most important time to have it on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, for us it's not a matter of water temp and hypothermia. The waters here are plenty warm. It's just that we're lazy. Who wants to work hard treading water while waiting for rescue while you can just lie back and drink your beer while you bob around in your yellow floatie? You can also use your hands to zip your pants back up before the CG gets there and discovers yet another sailor who was peeing off the transom. Heh-heh.
BubbleheadMd and jimgo like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-24-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We wear combination inflatable and harness on deck at night, with tether on at all times. Also wear this rig during daylight when weather is partcularly snotty. Rest of the time not - tan lines (kidding).
Old 06-24-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

This past weekend I wore my vest when I moved the boat solo ~10 miles from the yard where they dropped it in to my mooring. Water temp 58 degrees, early morning, very few other boats.... Yep.

As our water warms up, and the days get hot, and I'm sailing with people who know how to handle the boat, I rarely will put one on.
Old 06-24-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I was thinking about getting a life jacket and I wondered how many people wear them and when. Please discuss other safety devices you find essential.

I have never worn a life jacket sailing but with the new(to me at least) auto inflatable kinds I'm interested. I'm sure most of you have one. Do you like it?

Do you wear your pfd at all times or only in rough conditions. Do you tether yourself to the boat?

Keep in mind I have never been more than 10-20 miles from land so alot of you will have more experience than I. I'm also now sailing in a cold place and I single hand so I could see great value in a confortable inflatable with tether. If I fell off on rough water I could die. Could. Depends on what the boat decided to do and other factors.
We live in warm water, so what I/we do is likely different from what you would do. We almost never wear any kind of pfd while racing unless it's blowing (usually anything > 15 kts for sure) or doing something off-shore. When we race up and down the coast and it's nice (during the daytime and in similar wind) we do the same as inshore (no pfd). Beyond that, we wear pfd's anytime at night, and are tethered somewhere to a secure point. I have this years' model spinlock deckvest, but a west marine tether- the clips are easier to one-hand.

When singlehanding in light/moderate breeze I wear a plain harness and tether in only when doing something I perceive as risky, but I don't run jacklines when out daysailing by myself. Again, if it's > 15, then I'll wear the pfd and run jacklines and tether at all times.
Old 06-24-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I typically wear an auto-inflatable PFD/ harness when I am single-handing, racing small keel boats, anytime I put on foul weather gear, or flying the spinnaker short-handed.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I have a non inflatable west marine sitting in the locker in case I get an inspection.

What got me thinking about it was when my friend was sailing with me the last three weeks, when the wind started to blow, she asked for a life jacket. So I started thinking, because she couldn't steer well, if I fell, I don't think she would know what to do to come back and get me, but she could call for help. If I'm by myself, I would probably fall off because the weather is rough, and I doubt there are enough boats around to see me anyways. Better to tether and not fall at all.

I do have lifelines and a toe rail though.

Let's pretend I was breing captain badass for a while. Sailing solo to Alaska or something. Are jacklines necessary on a small boat or can you just clip and unclip a 6 foot tether like the WM one mentioned above to the bars that come out of the bottom of the stantions?
Old 06-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
. Are jacklines necessary on a small boat or can you just clip and unclip a 6 foot tether like the WM one mentioned above to the bars that come out of the bottom of the stantions?
You want to tether yourself inboard to prevent yourself from going over the side, rather than tethering to the stanchions, and hanging over the side. That is why jacklines are a very good idea for foul weather singlehanding.
Jeff_H and Bene505 like this.