Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I join the " no, don't wear one unless the boat is sinking" group.

I sailed firstly because I wanted to be outside, in the sun, relaxing with my friends and family. With a life jacket on, no matter what it's form, I feel trussed up ready for a disaster to come along. I get to wondering about tempting fate. And it makes for seriously funny tan lines.

As far as the "inevitable horrible end" coming along, it sure takes it's time, I've been actively sailing for 40 odd years and have never gone over the side yet and have never had any form of incident where I thought "Man, I wish I was wearing a life jacket". Harness yes, life jacket, never.

I'm not going to suggest that folks who wear life jackets on sunny, 12 - 15 knot, flat-sea days are sissies, I just watch their boats going by with an orange hue emanating from the cockpit and I think "He must have a coast guard official or maybe the vicar on board"

To each his own.
Pretty much my thoughts, exactly... Can't say as I recall the last time I had one on, it may have been for the photo op below...

I ALWAYS carry a full-on Mae West when going anywhere in my tender, however... Makes for a very nice seat cushion... (grin)

T37Chef and jimrafford like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
I wear an automatic self inflating PFD all the time on the water and also when solo (or with just the kids) on the pontoon. Water is cold around here. You'll be amazed how quick you become hypothermic when immersed and how soon you loose both your strength and your ability to think and coordinate movements before you become unconscious. I feel naked without one. Can't really tell the junior crew of eight and ten years to wear one if I am not exemplary. Anybody ever jumped into the water with their pfd on ? I did a sea survival course with the RYA (which I can highly recommend to anybody wherever you sail). Jumping with full gear into a wave pool you soon understand why the RYA recommends that your PFD should have a crotch strap (its amazing how quick your PFD will pull up and away from you), a spray hood and a D ring for attaching a harness so you don't fall overboard in the first instance.
Where do I get one with a spray hood and crotch strap?

By the way, I showed this to my obstinate youngster this evening to help motivate her to put her life jacket on. I was "starting" to leave her on the shore this evening, until she put her's on, fully buckled.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Good stuff. I understand setting an example for kids but there are things that apply to adults but not to them. So I think telling them and teaching is enough
Old 07-10-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
That's a really good question. Mustang do an add-on crotch strap that works with their jackets and probably others as well. Most European life jackets either come with a crotch strap and spray hood, or they are options. I don't understand why the U.S. manufacturers don't do the same.

It was a few years ago now but I brought mine back with me from a trip. It is made by Seago, is great quality and cost less than anything I found this side of the Atlantic. Maybe the market is bigger over there.
Old 07-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Deckvest by spin lock has both. It's $369 at West Marine. It looks the coolest too.
Old 07-10-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Let's see.
Laser sailing: always wear a Type 2. Gotta have one on board anyway and there's really no place to stow one.
Big boat... Depends on the weather and the number of crew. Sometimes. And sometimes I just wear a harness and clip on.
Singlehanding my CS Merlin I ALWAYS wear my inflatable/harness and usually clip in if it's rough.
Just got back from from Doublehanding to Bermuda. Very benign passage and when both of us were on deck during the day we didn't always wear a PFD or clip in w/ a harness.
At night however, that was a rule that was strictly observed.
Bene505 and smackdaddy like this.
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Pretty much my thoughts, exactly... Can't say as I recall the last time I had one on, it may have been for the photo op below...

I ALWAYS carry a full-on Mae West when going anywhere in my tender, however... Makes for a very nice seat cushion... (grin)

I'm just amazed that your photographer was able to get that camera up the mast AND kick off the flash powder in such a wet environment...

Those were the days.
Bene505 and CarbonSink62 like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-11-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Both Baltic and Crewsaver make them. Most other manufacturers here offer life jackets with crotch straps and you can buy sprayhoods to retrofit onto your existing gear.
Old 07-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I have images of David wearing a bright orange PFD as he goes grocery shopping.
It's actually one of the ones like kayakers wear, with large but thin panels. Quite comfortable looking and trustworthy (doesn't have to inflate to work. IIRC, he's looking for a version of that type of pfd that also has a built in harness.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 07-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
When single-handing, which is 90% of the time, I wear an inflatable w/ harness or a harness and standard jacket. I am tethered (with a double-line tether) to a jackline all the time. I don't unclip until down the companionway. When within swimming distance to shore, I'll unclip and take the jacket/harness off. They are awfully uncomfortable (Comfort Max is a misnomer) after many hours and a gigantic relief to remove. With no one to turn the boat around to scoop you up, falling in is likely fatal.
This is almost exactly what I do. With some modifications:

When single-handing, which is 50% of the time, I wear an inflatable w/ harness. I am tethered (with a single-line tether) to a jackline all the time. I don't unclip (and take the pfd off) until down the companionway. When within swimming distance to shore (and including water temperature and currents in that calculation), I'll unclip but keep the jacket/harness on. The inflatable is very comfortable.

Once I have the jack line setup. I'll generally leave then setup for many weeks.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .