SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Stupid question of the month (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100723-stupid-question-month.html)

huntermj 06-23-2013 05:52 PM

Stupid question of the month

OK, i have done all the searching i am going to do on this subject. I have found nothing, anywhere.
Why does the main sail on my boat have the letters YM?
Im sure everybody else knows the answer but i dont.
Please help a noob. lol:confused:

poopdeckpappy 06-23-2013 05:58 PM

Re: Stupid question of the month

Cool, I get to give the stupid answer of the month; It could very well be the your boat manufactures logo or the sail manufactures logo

What kind of boat ?

MarkofSeaLife 06-23-2013 06:09 PM

On a sailing boat? It means Yaffingale Machairodont

huntermj 06-23-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1048342)
On a sailing boat? It means Yaffingale Machairodont

Thats what i was thinking as well. Well mystery solved. :D
Anyway the full marking is YM with RT31 under it. In 2 foot high letters.
Its a Riptide 31 built in Onterio. So the RT31 is a no brainer.
So what is the YM? yachting monthly?
I dont know

poopdeckpappy 06-23-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntermj (Post 1048344)
So what is the YM? yachting monthly?

May not be off the mark; Here's a little info on the designer

Quote:

After World War II, no one, in the English speaking world, did more to make the sport of Yachting available to those of modest means than Maurice Griffith. Before the wide availablity of less expensive production fiberglass yachts, his designs, many of which were published in 'Yachting Monthly' magazine, were conceived for the amateur builder using inexpensive materials, (most were for plywood contruction). His early sailing exploits led him to own a succession of small boats, then to write about them; First for 'Yacht Sales and Charters', and later as editor of 'Yachting Monthly'. He went on to write 29 books. A biography, 'The Magic of the Swatchways', recounts his activities in the defusing of mines during WWII, and for which he was awarded the George Medal. His last book, 'Sailing on a Modest Income', was published in 1996.

huntermj 06-23-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 1048348)
May not be off the mark; Here's a little info on the designer

I knew M.G. was the designer of my boat, which was built in 1992 and that he wrote books but i did not know he was the editor of Yachting Monthly. these are the original tanbark sails. So Maybe a tribute to M. G.?

captflood 06-23-2013 07:23 PM

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; YM could stand for YOU MUPPET ? (you know I only Jesting) AS ALWAYS GO SAFE.

Michael K 06-23-2013 08:05 PM

Your Mystery!

PaulinVictoria 06-23-2013 09:39 PM

Yo Momma

paulk 06-23-2013 10:07 PM

Is there a sailmaker's logo somewhere near the tack? You could ask them. It could refer to the name the boat had under a previous owner. YMX is also the airport code for Mirabel airport in Montréal. Did the X come off? None of these suggestions will likely lead anywhere.

Most likely is the idea that the boat originally belonged to a group of Proselityzers who sailed around the Champlain Islands in the '80's converting the idolators prevalent there to modern Christianity. They called themselves the Young Missionaries and each time they arrived in port they would blow a trumpet to announce their arrival and let their mainsail luff, showing the YM to all the wayward. Then they would hoist a blue flag, symbolizing the Unity of the World under the sky everywhere, and serve Zebra Mussel soup in the cockpit to any and all who hungered for the TRUTH. They apparently ended up getting frozen in one winter and walked across the ice to New York state, where they were arrested for operating a soup kitchen without a health inpsection permit. To settle the legal fees they ended up having to sell the boat. That is probably why you got it for such a good price. If you sail in the channel islands, you might want to make sure you have zebra mussel soup handy in case people come by looking for it.