Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fstbttms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013
big dreams, little boat.

Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard flying the Bangladesh?

I launch my boat across the estuary from Coast Guard Island in the San Francisco Bay. Yesterday I saw something I meant to ask about; One of the cutters was flying a green flag with a red circle in the middle. It looks like the flag for Bangladesh. I have seen the flag on this ship a few times and it is the only one that flies it. Does anybody know why? ~LL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard flying the Bangladesh?

Sure it's a US vessel? Could be a visiting ship.
Old 06-23-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road

It's docked or used to be docked in front of Alameda marina. I believe it's a cutter that has been recently sold to Bangladesh
Old 06-24-2013

bnaylor is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard flying the Bangladesh?

This article says that one of the older cutters has been sold to Bangladesh: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/06/21/coast-guard-conducts-drills-for-bangladesh-navy.html?comp=7000023468292&rank=2
The Following User Says Thank You to bnaylor For This Useful Post:
Lateen Luffer (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013
big dreams, little boat.

Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor View Post
This article says that one of the older cutters has been sold to Bangladesh: Coast Guard Conducts Drills for Bangladesh Navy | Military.com
Ok, I was worried that the flag was maybe an advisory flag or something. I've seen the small craft advisory flags fly but I wondered if this was a flag to say I wasn't allowed to sail poorly today or something. It scared me enough that I tried to sail right! It had me going all the way into the cabin and open my beers with a bottle opener instead of the winch handle to pop the top as usual! Thanks! ~LL
Old 06-24-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Look closely at the ship. All US markings have been removed, in addition to lots of radars and the Phalanx gun. The Coasties have been decommissioning some of the old High Endurance Cutters and selling (or giving) them to other (typically third world) nations for some time.

I wonder what is taking the Bangladeshis so long to take the ship home, 'cause it's been there for well over a month. But I bet the crew are in no hurry to get back home. This is probably the best duty any of them will ever have.
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-24-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Look closely at the ship. All US markings have been removed, in addition to lots of radars and the Phalanx gun. The Coasties have been decommissioning some of the old High Endurance Cutters and selling (or giving) them to other (typically third world) nations for some time.

I wonder what is taking the Bangladeshis so long to take the ship home, 'cause it's been there for well over a month. But I bet the crew are in no hurry to get back home. This is probably the best duty any of them will ever have.
I bet that if they had their choices they would "train" with the USCG for about the next three hundred years LOL. I mean would you want to go back to live in Bangladesh if you had been here from there and were not made to return at gunpoint?

I hope they are training in anti-piracy and other useful things, and not in taking bribes and learning to be Bangladeshi hip hop rappers LOL