Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Gaining experience from being crew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
aren't there sailing clubs or people on Wallenpapack?
The Paupack Sailing Club would LOVE to have you. We are a bunch of trailer sailors of course (since our water turns solid in winter)... But I guarantee we can find you a good boat to crew on. Our race schedule is posted here, and VERY informal, as in no protest (as we have skill levels from new, to nationals winners in our club)... http://www.paupacksailingclub.com/Ra...3_Schedule.htm

We also have 2 gentlemen that run the Pocono School of Sailing, that are club Members. They have tons of blue water experience as do many of the club members. Several members own boats both on Wally (to get sailing more often as it's local), and also elsewhere (usually the Chesapeake).

So while we are landlocked we are hardly exclusive to landlocked water.

I'd argue you'll learn quicker about sailing on our little lake than you can in the steady winds in the bays. You see the winds on these lakes nestled between mountains, are tricky to sail. It forces you to read wind well, and quickly. It'll teach you to trim quickly, and correctly the first time. You'll learn NOTHING about navigation of course, but first things first. You'll also find that trailer sailors have to be ALL things, from riggers, to CDL drivers, to mechanics, handymen... and most of us rig and derig our boats ourselves. What MIGHT shake out of a few days on the water with us, are REFERENCES you can use.

I've just filled my crew (I think) for the summer, however, we have several great sailors who are running short handed, that would appreciate someone willing to work with even minimal experience. Either way, feel free to show up at 9-10am before a race, introduce yourself to anyone there (or meet me there shnool @ yahoo). We'll get you introduced, and have you crewing.
Tempest likes this.
Old 06-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He said to me. "Denise, I'm gonna die out there moving these #$%^&*@! boats"
I have problem with his statement. It implies to me that if you are crewing for others, you will die. He might have a bad experience, but it is hardly the norm. He is your friend, you can take his advise. I certain would not give up crewing because his bad experience.

If the boat has NOT been sailed for years. It is not over the top to ask if they have done a survey recently and you would like to take a look. If they refuse, it is a sign of potential problem. There are many ways to safe guide yourself, you just need to do the homework.
Slayer likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I have problem with his statement. It implies to me that if you are crewing for others, you will die. He might have a bad experience, but it is hardly the norm. He is your friend, you can take his advise. I certain would not give up crewing because his bad experience.

If the boat has NOT been sailed for years. It is not over the top to ask if they have done a survey recently and you would like to take a look. If they refuse, it is a sign of potential problem. There are many ways to safe guide yourself, you just need to do the homework.

Exactly!
Old 06-25-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

By the way, he was solo on that one. Was to be a simple move; Toms River to Riverside NJ. Way to many things can go wrong moving a boat that you never been on before. Survey, agreements, statements written or implied all it takes is a glob of sludge, a sea valve neglected, Sails left in the sun too many years. I don't think even if I wanted to crew I'd not want be "out there" LOL

A boat was being delivered just a few weeks ago off South Carolina was it? and the delivery crew left it via CG helicopter! We don't know the "real story"

Yes, people can die. But, over the years my friend has had many good transits with really nice boats. It's that one time that makes a person reflect on their priorities.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road

No problem about the derail Denise. :-)
Old 06-26-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road

Shnool,
I'll look into the sailing club, Thanks for the invite!
Old 06-28-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
I'm wondering about gaining experience by being crew for delivery/transport etc. I looked through the Crew wanted forum and found the almost none of the inexperienced type posts had replies.
Interviews and specific plans generally move to e-mail and don't happen on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
What is experienced anyway?
I think my active colleagues will agree that judgment is more important than experience. When I take a full crew I generally make space for someone newer. This is self-interest on my part. It builds up my crew list. Also, new people often have fewer bad habits to unlearn. They are also often grateful for the opportunity.

Quote:
Deliveries are not recreational sailing so it's maybe not so good for learning.
Deliveries are absolutely not recreational sailing. They are however often very good for learning. A lot depends on the skipper and the relationship you build with him or her.

Quote:
I've not crewed on a delivery but it's far from fun according to friend of mine that does local. Delaware river, Chesapeake, Delaware Bay, Up to NY and CT even. Most of the boats are sad to sinking and only occasionally does he move a new boat.
I walk away from boats that are at risk. I would say that almost all of my deliveries are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I have had nothing but great experience volunteering for deliveries. I've crewed on a J160 with all the bells and whistles; a Swan 42; a couple of new Benteaus; and a couple of old classics such as a Valiant 42 and a Lord Nelson 42. All my experiences have been good and I have made some great friends. I picked up the positions through Off Shore Passage Opportunity.
I was a pro skipper for Offshore Passage Opportunities for quite a while. It's a great organization and provides wonderful opportunities to crew on very nice boats over long distances. The skippers and owners I have worked with have been good sailors and good people. People maintain their membership because of the experience and the learning.
jameswilson29 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.