SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Gaining experience from being crew... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100788-gaining-experience-being-crew.html)

Neosec 06-25-2013 02:57 PM

Gaining experience from being crew...

Wasn't sure where to put this, Learning to Sail, Crew Needed/Wanted, etc. Please move if it's inappropriate here. I just chose General because it seem to have the most eyeballs (threads).

I'm wondering about gaining experience by being crew for delivery/transport etc. I looked through the Crew wanted forum and found the almost none of the inexperienced type posts had replies. What is experienced anyway? I've bare boat chartered up to 34 foot (never less than 28 foot) but just day sailed off the coast of Cali. Chartered 5 boats total plus the sailing I did to get the training to be able to charter the boats mentioned. Does this minimal experience gain a consideration when someone is looking for crew, or are people mostly only looking for old salts?
I spend hundreds of hours a year reading through this community forum and it fills my head with such glorious dreams... Someday I might like to fulfill some of them.

Opinions?

rockDAWG 06-25-2013 03:36 PM

Re: Gaining experience from being crew...

Welcome to sailnet.

It looks like you have some experience, so that is a good start. Crewing for others is not for everyone. Some captains/owners are better than others. If you leave your ego behind, work hard, and act like a sponge to adsorb all the do's and don'ts in each trip. You learn much faster than having your own boat and go more places than you own your boat.

The nice thing being a crew is you learn the good things from the captain or others, and also learn their mistake they made at no cost from you. This is priceless. Besides when you establish among others, captains/owner are more than willing to pay you to sail with them.

In addition, you can sail all different boats in all combinations of equipment. What works and what doesn't. One more thing that it is not too obvious is learn how to be a leader. Most captains does not know how to be a leader, some know how to sail very well. But they are very poor leader, unable to form a strong team on the boat. You can learn how to draw the best from your team. The leadership you learned and practiced will propel you in your career for the rest of your life.

I have been crewing for others for a few years. It has been very rewarding and have formed a strong bond with other great sailors around the world. So I encourage you to look into this as an alternative.

But if you need to name your own boat, others must you a captain, and can't take a command/order from anyone, crewing in other's boat is not for you.

Buying a boat before you know how to sail is just like putting a cart before the horse. Or just like a teenage, I like it, I love it, I need it, I want it. I want it NOW. I mean NOW. LOL.

There is a beautiful ocean out there. :)

Be wise, and good luck.

deniseO30 06-25-2013 03:43 PM

I say join a club. Make friends with someone that has a boat. Deliveries are not recreational sailing so it's maybe not so good for learning. You already have the experence to sail.

Neosec 06-25-2013 07:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently a bit too far from the ocean to find a sailing club that I could attend with any regularity, I'm in NE Pa. I haven't been sailing in over a year so I'll likely start with a refresher/catamaran coarse somewhere in the South Atlantic this fall. I've grown very fond of cats but never sailed on one.
Could you elaborate a bit more about what it's like to be part of a delivery crew?

Thanks

deniseO30 06-25-2013 07:45 PM

I've not crewed on a delivery but it's far from fun according to friend of mine that does local. Delaware river, Chesapeake, Delaware Bay, Up to NY and CT even. Most of the boats are sad to sinking and only occasionally does he move a new boat. Time contraints. "gotta go now, no matter what" He said to me. "Denise, I'm gonna die out there moving these #$%^&*@! boats"

aren't the sailing clubs or people on Wallenpapack?

Neosec 06-25-2013 08:13 PM

Ah, I see.

As for the lake, I suppose there are but I much prefer the sea. I'd really like to Go somewhere. Somewhere new.

rockDAWG 06-25-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1049625)
I've not crewed on a delivery but it's far from fun according to friend of mine that does local. Delaware river, Chesapeake, Delaware Bay, Up to NY and CT even. Most of the boats are sad to sinking and only occasionally does he move a new boat. Time contraints. "gotta go now, no matter what" He said to me. "Denise, I'm gonna die out there moving these #$%^&*@! boats"

Hahaha.... :) I am glad I don't have friends like this, but then I choose my friends wisely. :)

OTOH, if I have committed to sail the "said" boat, I will make sure the boat will NOT sink or I have confidence that because I will be on that boat, she will not sink.

However, there were times that I had walked out the boat. And I make sure the owner fly me back home. It is all about written agreement and terms. Some owners do exaggerate their skills and safety equipment. That is why I always put everything on paper.

I certainly will not accept any BS from others especially from my friends. I am an independent thinker, I evaluate their statement, their sailing style, their formal education, their degree of success in the society, and their ethics. I make my own decision.

YMMV.

Slayer 06-25-2013 08:31 PM

I have had nothing but great experience volunteering for deliveries. I've crewed on a J160 with all the bells and whistles; a Swan 42; a couple of new Benteaus; and a couple of old classics such as a Valiant 42 and a Lord Nelson 42. All my experiences have been good and I have made some great friends. I picked up the positions through Off Shore Passage Opportunity. I think I pay $200 a year for membership, and I get probably 4-8 crew postings a month on average. You usually pay to get to and from the destination, but on board expenses are paid for. The person seeking crew will tell you what they are looking for and you relay your experience. I thinks most skippa's are looking for someone responsible with a good attitude and willing to learn. I love sailing and for me it's like a free vacation. And I have learned alot from other crew members and the captains.

Neosec 06-25-2013 08:56 PM

Well Slayer, that sounds more hopeful. I would hope that I could be an asset to someone. I'm late 40's retired military guy. I worked avionics so I've got electric and electronics down as well as basic navigation. Perhaps I'll head over to Off Shore Passage Opportunity and see what happens.

deniseO30 06-25-2013 09:04 PM

RD I don't know what you mean "a friend like that". He's trying to make some supplemental income moving boats. Some boats owners flat out lie or are clueless about condition. When He moves a new boat and it goes well, some owners think it's pleasure cruise and want to go on the trip.

What my friend is saying; he's had it, it's not worth the money vs the risk. Last one was for a boat that hadn't moved in years.. Came out of Barnegat inlet, the engine died, wave crashed over the cockpit took out his Ipod, He was on Delaware bay in a blow.. fuel was sludged, sails fell apart,

Yes put it all on paper.. what you going to do, get a survey before you move a boat? "great boat, all systems go" What good is a written agreement when the boat fails in someway?

He has had many moves go well but the ones that go bad; Have him re-evaluating boat deliveries.

Sorry about the derail NeoSec :)