SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100790-yamaha-outboard-8hp-4-stroke-stolen-chesapeake-bay-marina.html)

claudino 06-25-2013 04:43 PM

Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina

Mostly a warning for others. One of those things that "will not happen to me" just happened.

The outboard was on an Oday 272 on my slip in Herrington Harbour North marina.
It happened between Saturday June 22 and Sunday June 23, likely at night.

Working with security to check security cameras videos. Hopefully something will be revealed.

When i filed the police report, the officer told me just last week 5-6 outboards were stolen in the area (not in same marina).

Hopefully not, but if any of you guys have been through something similar, i'd appreciate the experience shared also in terms of insurance handling.

To make everything even more bitter, the fact that i may be stuck with no sailing for 1-2 weeks. And it's summer....

carl762 06-25-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina

Well that sucks!!!! Best of luck dealing with insurance company.

We're unlucky enough to have zero video. We get hit, we're screwed unless there's an eye witness.

Thieves should all die!!!!!!

Jiminri 06-25-2013 08:54 PM

That's awful. I hope you get a replacement and back out on the water soon.

How was it secured to the boat? Was it locked? I'm thinking about eventually getting a motor for the dinghy and I'm wondering if locks help at all.

krisscross 06-25-2013 09:04 PM

Sorry for your loss... locks definitely help. I chain my motor to the mount when leaving boat unattended. The more visible and solid the lock, the better.

mad_machine 06-26-2013 09:36 AM

I wonder if anybody makes an alarm for outboards.. like they do for fur coats if you try to take them too far from the rack or cut the cable?

jimgo 06-26-2013 09:49 AM

That's an interesting idea. Put an RFID tag inside the engine, and then mount a transciever under the transom. If the engine is pulled, the transceiver doesn't see the RFID tag any more and sounds an alarm. Shouldn't be all that expensive to build, and you could hide the RFID tag just about anywhere on the engine.

SHNOOL 06-26-2013 09:58 AM

I have had 2 trolling motors stolen... and I've heard of people getting gas motors stolen. We also don't have cameras at our marine (but the dockmaster LIVES at the marina - and he misses very little)... But still, it's not all on him.

I always twist the thumbscrews until they are together, then run a standard padlock through the ends. Like below. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. I also won't buy a new motor, only used because I don't want to be out a lot of money if something should happen (because of this I deal with dodgy outboards at times).

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...WR-X_ga-ppWmll

Also something I forgot about on my own boat, that is NOT theft, but is just as real. Those of us with outboards, one of the biggest reasons for "losing" your motor is it falls off the support bracket, or worse the bracket breaks, or even worse drop the motor while trying to mount it (while in the water).... Always use a safety line. Just had a friend tell me his story of woe on how he had his bracket break and his brand new 8hp motor is on the lake bottom (yep they are looking into a dive team to get it, but it was in the middle of the lake not in his slip, so it'll be harder to pinpoint).

Very sorry some numbskull stole your motor, and I hope it's recovered for you (but I am a realist and recognize it probably won't be). Consider a lock on the bracket though.

claudino 06-26-2013 12:06 PM

I did not have a lock. Would that have saved my outboard from being stolen? Don't know.
These guys came with a purpose: my outboard was not new (5 years old) so it wasn't particularly attractive. There are many other outboards around at the marina without locks.
Did they want that specific model? I dock stern in, easier access to the outboard: was that a reason? Who knows.

I will put a lock, from now on. That's for sure. At least they would have to work harder.

A tracking device inside the outboard? and the boat, for that matter? Probably too expensive, but i start to think it could be worth the price just to have the satisfaction to catch such jerks.

jimgo 06-26-2013 12:49 PM

I wasn't suggesting a tracking system, though a lo-jack type device would work, too. I was just thinking of a proximity-based alarm. If the outboard moves more than a few feet from the boat, the alarm goes off.

claudino 06-26-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1050028)
I wasn't suggesting a tracking system, though a lo-jack type device would work, too. I was just thinking of a proximity-based alarm. If the outboard moves more than a few feet from the boat, the alarm goes off.

No, understood. I was just making the case for another possibility. The proximity based alarm could be something. I would be just be concerned about a malfunction : with the alarm being loud, one wouldn't be very popular with slip neighbors.....