Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013

claudino is on a distinguished road
Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina

Mostly a warning for others. One of those things that "will not happen to me" just happened.

The outboard was on an Oday 272 on my slip in Herrington Harbour North marina.
It happened between Saturday June 22 and Sunday June 23, likely at night.

Working with security to check security cameras videos. Hopefully something will be revealed.

When i filed the police report, the officer told me just last week 5-6 outboards were stolen in the area (not in same marina).

Hopefully not, but if any of you guys have been through something similar, i'd appreciate the experience shared also in terms of insurance handling.

To make everything even more bitter, the fact that i may be stuck with no sailing for 1-2 weeks. And it's summer....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yamaha outboard 8hp 4 stroke stolen in Chesapeake bay marina

Well that sucks!!!! Best of luck dealing with insurance company.

We're unlucky enough to have zero video. We get hit, we're screwed unless there's an eye witness.

Thieves should all die!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

That's awful. I hope you get a replacement and back out on the water soon.

How was it secured to the boat? Was it locked? I'm thinking about eventually getting a motor for the dinghy and I'm wondering if locks help at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 06-25-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss... locks definitely help. I chain my motor to the mount when leaving boat unattended. The more visible and solid the lock, the better.
Old 06-26-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anybody makes an alarm for outboards.. like they do for fur coats if you try to take them too far from the rack or cut the cable?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That's an interesting idea. Put an RFID tag inside the engine, and then mount a transciever under the transom. If the engine is pulled, the transceiver doesn't see the RFID tag any more and sounds an alarm. Shouldn't be all that expensive to build, and you could hide the RFID tag just about anywhere on the engine.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I have had 2 trolling motors stolen... and I've heard of people getting gas motors stolen. We also don't have cameras at our marine (but the dockmaster LIVES at the marina - and he misses very little)... But still, it's not all on him.

I always twist the thumbscrews until they are together, then run a standard padlock through the ends. Like below. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. I also won't buy a new motor, only used because I don't want to be out a lot of money if something should happen (because of this I deal with dodgy outboards at times).

Also something I forgot about on my own boat, that is NOT theft, but is just as real. Those of us with outboards, one of the biggest reasons for "losing" your motor is it falls off the support bracket, or worse the bracket breaks, or even worse drop the motor while trying to mount it (while in the water).... Always use a safety line. Just had a friend tell me his story of woe on how he had his bracket break and his brand new 8hp motor is on the lake bottom (yep they are looking into a dive team to get it, but it was in the middle of the lake not in his slip, so it'll be harder to pinpoint).

Very sorry some numbskull stole your motor, and I hope it's recovered for you (but I am a realist and recognize it probably won't be). Consider a lock on the bracket though.
Old 06-26-2013

I did not have a lock. Would that have saved my outboard from being stolen? Don't know.
These guys came with a purpose: my outboard was not new (5 years old) so it wasn't particularly attractive. There are many other outboards around at the marina without locks.
Did they want that specific model? I dock stern in, easier access to the outboard: was that a reason? Who knows.

I will put a lock, from now on. That's for sure. At least they would have to work harder.

A tracking device inside the outboard? and the boat, for that matter? Probably too expensive, but i start to think it could be worth the price just to have the satisfaction to catch such jerks.
Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I wasn't suggesting a tracking system, though a lo-jack type device would work, too. I was just thinking of a proximity-based alarm. If the outboard moves more than a few feet from the boat, the alarm goes off.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I wasn't suggesting a tracking system, though a lo-jack type device would work, too. I was just thinking of a proximity-based alarm. If the outboard moves more than a few feet from the boat, the alarm goes off.

No, understood. I was just making the case for another possibility. The proximity based alarm could be something. I would be just be concerned about a malfunction : with the alarm being loud, one wouldn't be very popular with slip neighbors.....