Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Where do you like to cruise?

I'm in the middle of mine and planning it week to week. I'm finding the majority of people in the Pacific Northwest like to cruise to really remote places. Or at least that is the ultimate goal. I think it has to do with the outdoorsy nature of alot of people out west. I'm curious where people in other parts of the country / world like to go.

I have many future places I want to go.

1. Big cities (new York, Chicago, seattle, Miami, Baltimore)
2. Mid cities (Saratoga, Pensacola, Santa Barbara, Bellingham)
3. Small towns
4. Resorts
5. Parks
6. Wilderness

Are most people cruising to get away from it all and find that perfect solitary anchorage or to visit the big city and walk around to art museums and fancy restaurants?

I like the charming small towns best so far. The kind of places you would find on the coast of Maine followed by parks. Ultimately I would like to sail the South Pacific to get to remote surf spots not many people can get to.

So what do sailnetters like? I'm curious where people are going this summer.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 06-25-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Where do you like to cruise?

I expect you'll get as many different answers as there are sailors. Its a big world.
Old 06-25-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

We have been cruising the East US Coast since 1972 from as far north as Bar Harbor, Maine and south through the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. We are now northbound on our 22nd transit along the US east coast and nearling the Chespeake. We favor about thirty ports that we frequent, not including wilderness anchorages. Our favorites among cities for cruisers from north to south are: NE Harbor, Tenet's Harbor, Boothbay, Portland,(Maine); Gloucester, Boston, Provencetown, Onset, (Mass); Newport, Watch Hill, (RI); Mattituck, Port Washington, (NY); Atlantic Highlands, Cape May, (NJ); Chesapeake City, Havre de Grace, Chestertown, Baltimore, Annapolis, Galesville, St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Solomons, (MD); Tangier, Deltaville, Hampton, Potsmouth, Deep Creek, (VA); Elizaberh City, Belhaven, Oriental, Beaufort/Morehead City, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Southport, (NC); Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort, (SC); Thunderbolt,
brunswick,(GA); Fernandina, Jacksonvillle, Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, St. Augustine, Daytona, New Smyrna, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, Vero Beach, Jenson Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Key Largo, Islamorada, Key West, Fort Myers Beach, Gulfport, Tarpon Springs, (Fla). These are great places for cruisers on the east coast. I know there are some glaring omissions, but we just don't care for them as much. We are not "Been there, Done that" cruisers, but we enjoy returning to our favorites many times!
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I would never get tired of sailing into New York Harbor in any time of the day. Other than that, I love the warm and clear water of Caribbean Island.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-25-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

For me the mix of small towns and wilderness are what make the Pacific Northwest such a great place to travel. I love being able to go for good hikes with no traffic on one day, seeing interesting wildlife on the water the next day, and a couple of days later be eating a nice meal in a good restaurant in a fun town.

My only problem with cruising in the Pacific NW is that everyone else has the same idea and it can be hard to find those really quite anchorages. Especially since a small but loud percentage of cruisers think that running a genset, buzzing around in a motorized dinghy, or otherwise being loud are appropriate ways to enjoy wilderness.

I'd rather "cruise" urban areas by bicycle. It's a mode of transportation that works very well in urban areas and lets you see a lot more than you can see from the water.

If you are interested in cruising charming small towns then you should spend some more time in the South Puget Sound. Poulsbo, Gig Harbor, Eagle Harbor, Kingston, Port Gamble, La Conner, Quartermaster Harbor, Olympia, and other options that I'm forgetting provide that experience. Many of those are within a days cruise of Seattle and are common destinations for me.
northoceanbeach likes this.

Last edited by Alex W; 06-25-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

North and East shore of Lake Superior. Wilderness cruising at its finest. It's hundreds of nm of nothing but remote anchorages, waterfalls, rivers to explore and blessed few people. Big water for long-distance sailing. Scary weather and storms if you need a challenge, but mainly just pristine wilderness, with virtually no one out there. We usually go out for 6 weeks each summer, and will share an anchorage less than half those nights.

The south shore offers some nice small-town sailing, but for those drawn to solitude and real wilderness, I invite you to check out Canada's Lake Superior.
Old 06-25-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
North and East shore of Lake Superior. Wilderness cruising at its finest.
I was just talking to a nice couple about that. They keep their boat in the Apostle Islands, but take a couple months to go across the lake up to your area. It sounds amazing.
Old 06-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The New England coastline has more cruising opportunities than I think any one human could experience in a lifetime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-25-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Captain Force, when you get to Havre de Grace, MD PM me and we'll get together and I'll mix up a fresh batch of Green Coconut Margarettas for you and that young gal that cruises with you.

Gary
Old 06-25-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I want to go to places like this, which is in Southern Chile.

And another

One more to get the idea across

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.