Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

The online archives are definitely worth having - but I had to jump through multiple hoops to get access. I don't know if I'll be renewing.

Now Good Old Boat, can't say enough good things about them.
ottos likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road

ordered the "recommended" icom m24, partly because PS mentioned there'd be one less part to lose. but in order to charge it you have to take off the on/off knob and a thin gasket, insert the charging cable and then (however many hours later) find the 2 little plastic pieces and put it all back together. this will prevent loss of crucial parts?
Old 10-23-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but I recently subscribed and cannot get online access. The 800 number is useless and no one seems home at customer service. Terrible.
Old 10-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingyou View Post
I know this is an old thread but I recently subscribed and cannot get online access. The 800 number is useless and no one seems home at customer service. Terrible.
I think I had issues getting access, don't think I really did anything other than kept trying to access it. Yes the CS seems very sub par, but it is a small staff so I guess that is the issue, they don't have enough staff to have customer device, and the company they pay to do it is not doing it correctly.
Old 10-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

As a former subscriber, I get frequent and routine email solicitations. I'm going to "unsubscribe" next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-23-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Too bad, I was a long term subscriber too and eventually stopped for the reasons outlined in this thread.
Old 10-24-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

I had a snail mail reminder a week ago. It went directly into our blue recycle bin.

Is there not a PS tester here on Sailnet? It is hard to understand how the PS owners could ignore so many complaints. They must have deep pockets.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on the hard beside Toronto Harbour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I too was a long time subscriber and supporter of PS. My enthusiasm waned a few years ago, first with the increasing barrage of "RENEW NOW!" notices I started to get long before my current subscription had expired. Accessing online resources was never easy, and getting support was impossible. But the kicker was a sudden onslaught of spam from them a couple of years ago. I used all their online tools to stop the flood. No luck. I tried personal emails. No go. I finally had to get belligerent, and sent notes to the editorial address. This finally got results, but sadly too late. They'd already lost me.

It's unfortunate b/c I found their articles very helpful, especially when I was starting out as a boat owner. I really support the principle of removing advertising pressure from mags like this, but I feel they either went through some sort of corporate change, or perhaps the finances started to get too tight. Whatever happened, it certainly chased me away.
Old 10-24-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
I had a snail mail reminder a week ago. It went directly into our blue recycle bin.

Is there not a PS tester here on Sailnet? It is hard to understand how the PS owners could ignore so many complaints. They must have deep pockets.

Unfortunately I think it the actions of a desperate company. Seems the magazine is getting thinner as far as real reviews. They don't do as many boat reviews, and that I would think would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Call up a local dealer, introduce yourself and I can't imagine they would not offer to take you out. Used boat reviews would be easier, who would not like to have there boat reviewed? I think it is good to do very through reviews like the bottom paint, on the other hand last month's review of AIS receivers was useless. Basically said yup, they both turn on, both good units, this one is slightly better than that one on one thing, this one better at that at another. But both are recommended. Seems if they contacted the manufacturer they should be been able to get several. And if you recommend both equally then you really don't have a review, but an advertisement.

It worries me as it only leaves Good Old Boat as a useful publication. While I love reading that, it really does not do any comparisons between products.

I agree to that PS seems to spam way to much. If they have not figured out that they are not going to be able to compete with Amazon and other on line retailers on books, then they are truly lost. The only way to make money selling things on line is if you have an advantage on price, provide superior service or sell something no one else does. There spam does none of that.
Old 10-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Haven't subscribed to PS in a long time, partly because even the mag staff have been known to concede that the subscription folks, who are apparently all a separate location and operation, can be a nightmare to deal with. There's a Doctor Suess riff about not liking green eggs with my ham, Sam, or some such that seems to come to mind.

Postcards and deals and funny math and odd timing...Maybe the PS mag staff need to do a review of aggressive subscription departments, huh?

What I've noticed in recent years is magazines that add a "postage and handling" fee onto their subscription offers. OK, postage, extra, huh? So I guess I can skip that by picking up my magazines in person? Or, no, wait, didn't the definition of "subscription" used to mean "we'll send that to you" ?

I know it is hard to make a buck writing or publishing these days, but some folks are just pushing it more than a little too hard. Like the ebook sellers, who complain about how expensive it is to print and ship and store and destroy unsold paper books, but somehow, they often discount the ebooks less than 10%? Oh, look, there's a hand in my pocket! Kindly offering to pick it!