Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Re: Am I an 'operator' at anchor?

Alcohol banned by General order 99 by Sec of Navy Joesph Daniels June 1 1914. Hence the slang for coffee 'Cup o Joe'

oh, I googled, was that cheating?
then it appears they had to pass a bunch of other regs against bootlegging. lol. shutting down the officers wine mess wasnt enough...

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq32-1.htm

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 06-27-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Alcohol in the Navy

1797 On 1 July, daily liquor ration set at "one half pint of distilled spirits."

1914 General Order 99, issued by Josephus Daniels on 1 June, strictly prohibited "the use or introduction for drinking purposes of alcoholic liquors on board any naval vessel, or within any navy yard or station," to take effect on 1 July 1914, thus putting an end to the officers' wine mess.

That doesn't answer the slang question though...
Old 06-27-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Oops, I should hit refresh before I post.

But I still want to know what slang came out of it!
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Oops, I should hit refresh before I post.

But I still want to know what slang came out of it!
actually snopes says its false! maybe '99' pertaining to all hands? or general misbehavior?

who asked this quiz in the first place? THEY should know!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-27-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Ding ding ding! We have multiple winners! Yes, it was Secretary Josephus Daniels, a teetotaler, that banned alcohol from USN ships. When he suggested that officers drink coffee at meals instead of spirits, they derisively called a cup of coffee, a “cup of Josephus”. Shortened later to a “cup of Joe”. I found this little tidbit while reading a review of a recently published biography of Daniels. Other bits of trivia is FDR was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy under him. Imagine that combo. Daniels completely reorganized the Navy, which was little changed from the Civil War into the Fighting force that it was in WWI. Should be an interesting read.

I had the opportunity to have dinner on the HMCS Algonquin. What a difference from the normal coffee and soft drink fare of the USN. Pretty cool drinking Tanqueray in the wardroom and having wine with dinner. But as I understood, the Canadian government doesn’t pay for booze and the officers have to pool their own funds.

San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department are zero tolerance. (they will cite you for sitting on the tubes of your inflatable dinghy). If you are just temporarily anchored or tied up to the bank for lunch, be prudent. You may ultimately prevail, but why go through the hassle. Remember the railroading Bismarck Dinus got on Clear Lake just a couple of years ago.
Old 06-27-2013

tough call on the 'cup of joe'
snopes.com: Cup of Joe

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-27-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I got my anecdote from a review about Daniels that I read in the WSJ. The Snopes explanation seems a little contrived. A contraction of "Java" and "jamoke"? This raises some additional questions like, what is the derivation of “Java” as a slang for coffee? (traditionally, isn’t the most coffee drank in North America from Central and South America? I have heard of the “tea trade” but never “coffee trade” from the far East. And what is a jamoke anyway? Coming from a Navy family, I’m sticking with the o’ Josephus story.
Old 06-27-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's an interesting undercurrent that runs through this and other threads on this topic -- distrust of law enforcement.

Most people on this board are law abiding citizens who've never committed a serious crime. Yet many posters are leery of law enforcement.

This was not always the case. I grew up in a town where I knew all the cops. When I got a little older I'd gone to school with a lot of them and occasionally watched football with a bunch of them. But I've noticed a VERY different attitude among younger cops and even the older guys seem more insulated. The times I've brushed up against law enforcement recently have left me feeling distrustful as well.

Unwarranted harassment doesn't seem to be a rare story anymore, whether it's the potty police in Florida, harassment on the Hudson or running a gauntlet of traffic cops on the drive to your boat.

It used to only be people on the fringes distrusted the police. How did this become acceptable behavior?
Probable reason for this is that law enforcement has gradually changed into a valuable source of revenue enhancement, especially with municipalities now operating with strategic operating deficits. The examples are: 'traffic ticket blitzes', reduction of 'grace' mph over the speed limit, red light cameras, etc. etc. etc. Its not the LEOs causing all this, its their 'employers'.
The root answer is that increasingly most municipalities consider citizens nothing more than an economic 'prey species'.

My stock answer to a LEO making the claim "that Im just doing my job" is that "you know officer, thats exactly what many of the Nazi Camp guards also stated .... as they were marched up the steps of the gallows". :-)
JimMcGee and Selkie60 like this.

Last edited by RichH; 06-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
........My stock answer to a LEO making the claim "that Im just doing my job" is that "you know officer, thats exactly what many of the Nazi Camp guards also stated .... as they were marched up the steps of the gallows". :-)
Comparing an LEO that is giving a speeding ticket to someone actually speeding, or a summons to someone actually drinking aboard their boat, when there are laws against it, is a rather inappropriate comparison to Nazi war criminals. Come on.
i_amcdn and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-28-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's an interesting undercurrent that runs through this and other threads on this topic -- distrust of law enforcement.

Most people on this board are law abiding citizens who've never committed a serious crime. Yet many posters are leery of law enforcement.

This was not always the case. I grew up in a town where I knew all the cops. When I got a little older I'd gone to school with a lot of them and occasionally watched football with a bunch of them. But I've noticed a VERY different attitude among younger cops and even the older guys seem more insulated. The times I've brushed up against law enforcement recently have left me feeling distrustful as well.

Unwarranted harassment doesn't seem to be a rare story anymore, whether it's the potty police in Florida, harassment on the Hudson or running a gauntlet of traffic cops on the drive to your boat.

It used to only be people on the fringes distrusted the police. How did this become acceptable behavior?
It is very easy to distrust law enforcement in the police state we now live in. Rules and regulations for everything and armed tax collectors for this revenue source for most municipalities in the northeast make it so.
Selkie60 likes this.