Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Am I an 'operator' at anchor?

No, I think the fact is there are a significant number of LEO that are just jerks. NOT the majority, but obviously, from the sentiments express in this thread alone, enough to paint LEO's in general in a bad light.
I have been harassed a couple of times over the years. In each and every case I was doing nothing wrong, was not charged, arrested or even ticketed. Just some cop had an attitude and wanted to spray his territory.
And while not ALL have an attitude, even the two detectives that came to my house several years ago to talk to my daughter about a girl she knew who had run away from home had that typical "cop" attitude and posture. You know, we have authority, we're on OFFICIAL business, etc... Small wonder my daughter wanted nothing to do w/ speaking to them. Hell I didn't even like them. (PS. She didn't know anything, but later that week she did get a call from the girl; I promptly relayed the info to the detective.)
Old 07-01-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

While I think the ridiculous DUI/BUI laws are an example of our police state in the Nanny Land of NO, I do think twice about having more than a beer or two when at anchor. It's not because of laws that may be in place but because if I had to react in a hurry in certain spots, I certainly would not want to be $h*t faced. It all depends on where you are and what the conditions are. One would hope LE would be smart enough to realize the difference and not just be out to write tickets.
Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not going to repeat my points on LEOs. They are above for any that are interested.

Remember, however, that laws are written exclusively by legislators, not LEOs, and every single law enforcement agency reports to one of them.

If you don't like the laws or how they are enforced, complain to their bosses or vote for someone who will change it.

Cracking down on alcohol consumption on boats is in direct response to legislative insistence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Unhappy to report that my call to the Oregon Marine Board was unanswered. They just ignored me. I'll call back after the Holiday to get an answer. It's unacceptable for a bureaucrat to ignore the paying public's questions.

Pisses me off. Anyway, I'm going to stay off the river this holiday season. Too many crazies out there.

Last edited by carl762; 07-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post

Pisses me off. Anyway, I'm going to stay off the river this holiday season. Too many crazies out there.
Just about everyone I know avoids taking their boats out on holidays.
JimMcGee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Just about everyone I know avoids taking their boats out on holidays.
Not me! I do avoid certain destinations that are nuts. However, we've anchored in the Bay and watched five July 4th fireworks shows at the same time surrounding the shoreline. Awesome!!

Plus, they are some of the few weekends that we don't have to get guests back to the dock by Sunday. Relaxing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not me! I do avoid certain destinations that are nuts. However, we've anchored in the Bay and watched five July 4th fireworks shows at the same time surrounding the shoreline. Awesome!!

That's one of the pluses of my marina. We're right on the bay. Zero protection from weather but the sunsets, no flies and ability to sit in our cockpit or wander the dock watching all the fireworks displays around the bay is worth it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
You really have a way with words. An obnoxious way.
Stop with the personal stuff. It has become a trend. Feel free to either look past my threads or place me on ignore. You're personal feelings about me and observations do not add to discussion and are inappropriate. Short of that try and stick to the topic. It's not about me...carry on.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
You really have a way with words. An obnoxious way.
BTW

I was agreeing with what you posted about the LEOs. While the media picks out specific cases and blows them out of proportion, the majority of them are upstanding people protecting us. Same with the CG.

It's like a "sport" on here to take an incident or news article and extrapolate it into the norm. Whether its the LEOs or the rescue of a boat offshore. Taking one sample and using to " broad brush" as you stated doesn't make it so.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-01-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Well, that escalated quickly!