Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road
Trying to be prepared for the inevitable hurricane

This is our first year owning a sailboat and we're trying to be proactive when it comes to being prepared for the first threatened hurricane of the season. We figured it's a matter of when, not if, and we'd rather not be scrambling at the last minute.

We're on a mooring ball at a marina and from what I've read in old threads, we should have an extra line (or even two) of varying lengths to add to the existing line. My question is, how would we attach those lines? The ball has a swiveling shackle at the top. Would we just attach another shackle to the existing one? Also, our boat only has one bow cleat so I'm not sure where we would attach the other lines.

I know we should also have anti-chafing on the lines, but any other general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Trying to be prepared for the inevitable hurricane

If you're staying on the mooring, you are on the right track. Redundant lines and serious chafe protection are a must. One technique is to remove your anchor or anything that could cause chafe. One redundant line should not be under load with the others, as they may all fail at once, if they are all chafing together.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the single point of failure below the mooring ball, including its' anchoring system, which may not be sufficient to hold a boat in that kind of weather.

Best is to get on a hurricane haulout list at a nearby marina. Often, you must be on the list early, as late comers are at the end of the line. Most insurance companies will offer coverage to either pay for the haul or split the cost with you. Although, I believe it is usually an add-on to hull coverage, since they really want to avoid that liability.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Unfortunately I'm getting good at Hurricane prep.

1. Reduce windage: remove headsail, mainsail, dodgers, bimini's etc.
2. Extra line from mooring ball to boat. I tie a line right onto the shackle. I leave the line a little loose so that my regular mooring pendants are taking the strain. The line is a backup. If you only have one cleat I would run the line back and tie to the mast.
3. Chafe protection on everything - where the pendants go through the chocks. Where the pendants are on the cleats, etc.
4. Make sure your batteries are charged and your bilge clean and empty.
5. Close all through hulls
6. Make sure your insurance is paid up
7. HOPE

My boat has made it though Irene, Sandy and a bunch of of nor'easters. I have an oversize mooring ball and the pendants are kept in good condition. My boat was damaged during Sandy because other boats dragged and hit me. Fortunately it wasn't too bad and all the damage has been repaired (and then some, I'll post pics and the story soon).

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

All of the above! If you are lucky there is a hurricane hole you can move to.

A comment on chafing gear. You can buy chafing sleeve by the foot at the marine store. It isn't cheap. I buy two sizes so I can put the first directly over the line and then insert line that is covered by the first sleeve into the second sleeve. Doubling the sleeve is very effective. I secure both sleeves by sewing them in place to the lines at their ends and make sure they generously overlap the areas where they might chafe. I prepare both sets of lines this way. I build and have the second hurricane "harness" ready to go complete with its hardware so installation on the mooring is a straightforward task. The second line is longer and larger than my regular mooring line.

This is for our Islander 28 which has a bridal that is attached to two deck cleats.

We have a 15' Marshall cat that sits on a mooring, too and doesn't always get hauled for severe weather. It has a single deck cleat and I double its lines in a similar way. In addition to the lines on the Marshall I hang a long piece of heavy chain from the bow eye to the swivel on the mooring. I have reinforced the bow eye to handle this. The chain is a fail safe but really acts as a damper to reduce the motion of this smaller boat.

Mother Nature is in charge!

Down
PsychedChicken likes this.
Old 06-27-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I always come back to the question ... Is it better to be on my heavy mooring ball or to haul out? I always see hurricane photos of boats stacked on top of each other at marinas post hurricane.
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I always come back to the question ... Is it better to be on my heavy mooring ball or to haul out? I always see hurricane photos of boats stacked on top of each other at marinas post hurricane.
You'll always get tons of anecdotal evidence of people that survived in either scenario, when the other didn't.

However, insurance companies are in the business of setting odds and trying to beat them. They all recommend going on the hard and often will help pay for it.

That doesn't mean that every single hard location is superior every hurricane hole mooring, but the odds are in that favor overall.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

There is just no way to measure. I'm 7 mi. up a river (Severn/Annapolis) on a cove protected by a natural jetty/point. It feels safe, but who knows.
Old 06-27-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

However, insurance companies are in the business of setting odds and trying to beat them. They all recommend going on the hard and often will help pay for it.
I am in the market for new insurance. I was told by mine that they no longer cover anything beyond basic liability for any boat kept in a hurricane flood zone.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I am in the market for new insurance. I was told by mine that they no longer cover anything beyond basic liability for any boat kept in a hurricane flood zone.
Get an agent to shop for you. Your carrier may just want out.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well where are all the islanders and floridians on this?

One, save the money on chafing gear and use garden hose to insulate lines. Much cheaper.
two, apply four by twos or even six or eight by twos over each two fenders. This protects the entire side of your boat without having to have tons of fenders. Just make sure you secure the top of the board with lines to the toe rail and swim under your boat and tie the bottom line to the other side of the boats toe rails to avoid wind blowing them away.
three, if your in florida south of st augastine find a mangrove and even better a creek with mangroves. Tie lines in spiderweb formation to trees, mangrove roots, and throw out as many anchors and rode as you have. Avoid mooring fields and crowded anchorages and marinas or beware.
four, dont just remove the sails, remove the boom, strip your boat down.
five, duck take your portholes. Mineral spirits will remove any sticky residue after the storm leaves.
six, try to find creeks or channels as far inland and as little crowded as possible.
seven, if its a category four or five expect damage. Remove boat valuables and important documents before storms arrival.
lastly pray or hope, depending on your beliefs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.