Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013

RIO GRANDE is on a distinguished road
Re: Help! Flys

I bought the Captain one of those fly/wasp taser rackets. Not a fly or wasp to been seen now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

They have those?
Old 06-28-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Malathion in a bug sprayer, spray it on the screens and it will kill the flies. Get it at Walmart in the garden center. If you want dead flies but you are going to get all squishy about the real poison, get some of the citrus based stuff, but be careful not to get it on the gelcoat or wood, it is very acidic and will leave stains/marks on your boat. Be careful with malathion too, and try not to get it on the paint, gelcoat, or fabric that you handle a lot. The deet based stuff, or the avon stuff work as a repellent, but once again when you dilute and spray make sure it won't make a huge mess on your boat.

Other than that I am guessing your only hope is to sail to Antartica, I understand there are no flies there, or so I have been told.
Old 06-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

But PLENTY of spiders in antartica! Arachinoids live on all 7 continents!

It was not real breezy from what I remember at least in PT when I was up there today. Could be part of the problem. There could also be some kind of stench that you can not smell that is attracting them......OR, how much fresh fruit do you have on board? could have come from that! or are attracted to it!

I personally would do some of the sticky fly traps. Yeah from 30 some odd yrs of doing landscaping, I have yet to meet an insecticide I did not like, other than DDT......I've used plenty, but prefer to use as little as possible! ie spray types etc, as it does travel thru the food chain etc.

Marty
Old 06-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

this brings up a question I always had. I have an oil lamp aboard.. can citronella oil be used in it?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

citronella is based in mineraloil for lamps. yes it canbe used but is bestnot to use indoors, as package says--it isnt good for ye...might just as well spray with poison while you stay inside boat.

use screens. they work.

so do those zapper rackets--they are great--mine has stood up to 3 years of swarming termites and is still winning..lol

use sprays on outside of boat.

they sound like kelp flies--those bite nastily and are very tenascious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Is the problem that you have an infestation INSIDE the boat, or are they just coming in from outside? The suggestions above are great for keeping them out, but once they are in, you're kind of stuck. We had a problem with fruit flies a few years ago, they were all over our kitchen and we couldn't figure out why/where they came from. At first, we thought it was just that our kids were leaving the door open, but we kept finding them even during the week while the kids were in school (and thus the door wasn't open). I found online a suggestion to cut the top off a soda bottle (16/20 Oz size), put an inch of wine in the bottom, then flip the top over and mount it upside down (duct tape/packing tape are fine). The flies are lured in by the smell of the wine (rotting fruit), have a hard time finding their way out of the bottle, and drown in the wine. It worked very well, but we kept finding the flies even after a week. The thing we noticed was that they were always in one area of our kitchen. So I tore apart the cabinet in that area, and discovered that they had somehow gotten into the cabinet, and into a zip-top bag of sugar that had somehow not been entirely closed. We threw that away, and within another 2-3 days of using the traps, the bugs were gone. This would probably work for your larger, houseflies, too, though you might need different bait.

In case my description above doesn't make sense, the link below has pictures of the trap:

How to make a fly trap
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-28-2013

Pcpk is on a distinguished road

You can make a trap out of an old 2 liter bottle and cider vinegar. Cut to off bottle so it forms a funnel the invert into bottle. Put in cider vinegar flys fly in but can't fly out
Old 06-28-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcpk View Post
You can make a trap out of an old 2 liter bottle and cider vinegar. Cut to off bottle so it forms a funnel the invert into bottle. Put in cider vinegar flys fly in but can't fly out
If you happen to have issues with the brown marmorated stink bugs this works as well, but you put an LED light in the bottom instead of the wine. Most effective are the battery powered lights that you press on the lens to turn on and off, like you put under a cabinet. Then use a skewer or chop stick to turn it on and off. It will be full the next day.
Old 06-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I've been wondering if I should replace the screens in my 5 opening hatches (all screens are broken out) before leaving on my trip. It sounds like the answer is yes.

In my experience the flys look for shade when it gets really hot out. That's what the next few days look like, hot.

Sorry, I don't have a helpful way to get rid of them.