Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Help! Flys

I think the PNW is facing an epidemic of flys this summer. They are menacing me as we speak. I can't live like this. Please tell me what I can do to keep them out of my cabin and off the boat.

I keep things clean and there is no food lying around so I can't make things any cleaner. I need some sort of repellent or somethińg that is safe and effective. What do I do? It's possible it could get worse. It only started a week or so ago. I can't do bugs. Any scented air sprays they don't like?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Help! Flys

Well the old method tried and true will make your boat stink and ruin your portholes over time but its mixing diesel fuel and turpentine then applying over screens and hatchways with spong.

Lucky for you we now have candela candles.

If those dont work visit your pest control store tommorow and look for gel or spray that will kill the bastards.

If that does not work and since you did not specify the type of fly you may need to remove everything from your boat, disinefcet and wash out with hoes, let sit for a few days, then move back aboard and apply steps one and two again.

Really depends on fly type. Candela is your best bet and a pest control store visit.visitor
Old 06-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Oh yea, and anchor out. Your probably sitting at dock right? Go anchor out and i bet ninety percent of your problem will vanish. Candela and raid will slove the other ten.
Old 06-27-2013

No I am at anchor. Haven't tied to a dock in weeks.
Old 06-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Maybe a shower?
carl762 and jimgo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-27-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Avon Skin So Soft mixed 50/50 with fresh water in a spray bottle. Shake well, spray the screens and any other small openings - even works on no-see-ums.

I'll try to dig up the post on the awning screen that drapes over your Bimini and covers the cockpit. It's on the forum somewhere.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 06-27-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this will help, but...

I was having a problem with mosquitos, so I picked up mosquito netting to put across my companion way. The thing with Catalinas is, the companion ways are huge. So, I ended up buying netting from a local fabric store and sewing my own "makeshift" companion way curtain-ish screen. I had considered the screen kits to slide in the companion way slots but they only have right angle corners. I still may revisit that bit by making my own frame.

But, I digress.

With the heat wave + high humidity, the mosquitos have def arrived. Nothing like getting eaten alive in the middle of the night. So, I took the original mosquito netting and hung it across the vberth entry. I used 2-sided tape, though, you may prefer veclro. I also put netting over my hatch, to include covering one of the larger air vents. I do have a couple of uncovered air vents, but we'll see. Will cover them, if I need to. For now, the main entry-ways are now, at least, tougher for flying critters to enter.

Oh, and, wrt the companion way, which I want open during the day? I used the prickly side of veclro squares spaced evenly apart, to hold it in place.

Other possibilities is one of those bug zappers. I, personally, dislike them bc, while they do zap bugs, they also attract them. And they make noise. Wrt attracting bugs, same goes for carnivorous plants (which is what i used when I lived on land). The upside of carnivorous plants is that, a) they're kewl looking, and b) they actually are effective. Depending upon the type of flys... if they're the small fruit flies, sun dews are best. If they're the larger type, venus fly traps are great. If you have a large rodent problem, nepenthes are, um... amazing in a sort of uber creepy way. o.O

Anyway, not sure if any of the above ideas will help, at all. But, personally, being a non-bug type, myself, I've tried lots of different things. Some successful, some, not so. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with mosquitos. Which is why I opted for the netting. Which, so far, seems to be working.
Old 06-27-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I'll try to dig up the post on the awning screen that drapes over your Bimini and covers the cockpit. It's on the forum somewhere.
I'm guessing you're referring to this post? Yeah, it's a kewl idea.
Old 06-27-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Yep, that's the one. I have the screening on my boat, but so far I haven't had to use it. I put it on once to see if it would fit, and how difficult it was to install - nothing to it, and when I purchased it the price was about $39 if I recall from Walmart.

Gary
shadowraiths likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Maybe a shower?
No it's not that. I've taken a shower 28 of the last 30 days. More than most people out.