Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Question for Chesapeake Sailors

I am taking my first charter out of Rock Hall MD for 3 days July 30-Aug.1
Questions: does the wind have a general direction that time of year or is it extremely variable?
Is the wind pretty mild that time of year?
Can you recommend any anchorages south of Rock Hall?
I am chartering an IP 27
Thanks for any input from those who live or sail there regularly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for Chesapeake Sailors

If you're taking out Captain's Choice, it's in the slip right next to Halcyon! That's the only IP27 I know of in Rock Hall.

Wind is usually out of the south during that time but anything is possible. We've had some of our best sails lately in July and August when the general thinking is that's the time to stay in and do boat projects until September. With a south wind (and your limited time frame), you might head across the Bay to the Magothy River. Some good anchorages back there.

We also like Grays Inn Creek around the other side of the peninsula up the Chester River. Once you get to the anchorage at the back you are a stone's throw from Rock Hall, but it's a 4-hourish sail to get there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-28-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

South of the Bridge s Whitehall Bay/Mill Creek. Cantler's for crabs on Mill Creek.
Old 06-28-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate777 View Post
I am taking my first charter out of Rock Hall MD for 3 days July 30-Aug.1
Questions: does the wind have a general direction that time of year or is it extremely variable?
Is the wind pretty mild that time of year?
The outstanding weather characteristic in the Bay during Summer is the Bermuda high. A high parks itself offshore near Bermuda and dominates our summer weather. As air pressure moves from highs to lows and is affected by the Coriolis effect, the predominant winds are light and from the South. Warm moist area from the Gulf of Mexico pumps up into the area, bringing heat and humidity. Afternoon thunderstorms are common.

Quote:
Can you recommend any anchorages south of Rock Hall?
I am chartering an IP 27
Thanks for any input from those who live or sail there regularly
There are lots of great anchorages (slips or moorings) and places to visit in the area: Baltimore, Annapolis, St. Michaels, Rhode River, Galesville, Wye River. If your draft allows it, you may want to go through Kent Narrows into the Eastern Bay/Miles River area or go around Bloody Point, at the southern end of Kent Island. Visit St. Michaels, spend a night on the Wye River.
Old 06-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Predominantly from the south. Summer winds are usually light.

Independent t-storm cells tend to pop up, or travel from west to east in the afternoons. They can produce short duration, damaging winds. Have a smart phone with a good weather radar app, keep monitoring the WX channels on your VHF, and perform regular scans of the area with the MkI Eyeball.

The general strategy is- sail from the mornings, to early afternoon, then anchor somewhere with good holding and wind protection.

I violated this rule yesterday, having departed for an evening sail. I was punished, and was rained on pretty heavily. Luckily, I made it back to my cove, which is sheltered from the winds, so I only got wet.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-28-2013
Advocate777

[QUOTE=DRFerron;1051270]If you're taking out Captain's Choice, it's in the slip right next to Halcyon! That's the only IP27 I know of in Rock Hall

Yes that's right- I am chartering captains choice for 3 days. I will be with my 15 year old son who as never sailed. The first day we will be going out with a friend of mine who is a sailing instructor to get to know the boat and show my son some basics. I will be taking the instructor back that afternoon-
So, I will have 2 nites and 2 days on my own with the boat and gotta get it back by 4:00 Thursday.
Those 2 days and 2 nites will be my first time as skipper of a sailboat. I have taken asa101, 103, and 104.
I am looking for an itinerary appropriate for a newbie sailor for the 2 days and 2 nites ill be on my own.
Was thinking crossing the bay with my instructor friend and son the first day and then on our own sailing south along the shore for a few hours and then find a nice anchorage. The last day would be more of a slow return day.
Based on those facts; any ideas on a good course south and back?

Old 06-28-2013
Advocate777

no dinghy on the charter boat- does that change anyones recommendations of where to go?

Old 06-28-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The prevailing winds this time of year are moderate to light and out of the south except when punctuated by afternoon thunderstorms. In a normal year, this season of year, there will be few conditions where you would be able to sail on a boat like a IP 27. The IP 27 is a very ill suited boat for the Chesapeake. But that is another story.

That said, coming out of Rock Hall and wanting to entertain a teenaged new sailor, I would head south west for Annapolis. It would be a beat so at least you should be able to maximize the apparent wind if there is any breeze at all. Usually, there is a little more breeze south of the bridga and at mid-day better breezes along the eastern shore , and better breezes on the western shore in the mid to late afternoon.

You might then jump from Annapolis down to Galesville on the West River. [Edit- I just reread your note that you only have two days and one night cruising. Forget the West River]

From either place will be a long, hot motoring trip home unless you luck out with a 'blue norther', which can still happen this time of year and which would provide a bit more wind and cooler conditions.

I would normally have suggested the Magothy but it was absolutely packed last week when I was up there and many of the creeks are packed with moorings making a protected anchorage very hard to find.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-28-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2013
Advocate777

Thanks jeff (and everyone),
I am looking to buy a cruiser and I just hadda charter an Island Packet. I am looking at an IP29 and an IP31.
I wish I could charter several of the boats I have looked at like a Sabre 36 or some of the other affordable (for me) cruisers.
One of the frustrations I (and others) have had is that in order to buy a boat you have to sail in many to see what you like....but it is hard to find someone to let you crew on a boat you are interested as I do not live near the water - am 2 hours north of the Chesapeake.
At any rate, I am planning on moving back to south florida so I want to get a boat 28-35 feet that can cruise coastally up and down the coast, in the keys, cross the Gulf to the Bahamas and back. I am not crazy about cruising boats that heel alot--the boats I have been on in the ocean were heavy and did not heel that much (Dufour Gib'Sea 50, Pearson 50, Island Packet 32).
I'm nearing retirement and am seeking a safe, heavy, tub and am not looking for sailing thrills, chills, or spills.
Plus, I need to get a boat 50K or less.....
So, that's why I am chartering the IP27 because it is an inexpensive mid-week charter and I can add it (or cross it off) my list of boats to experience as I shop.
Any input is greatly appreciated always! I love the water, I love to snorkel, I love seafood, I love the sun.....been searching for a sailboat that I could live on with my wife for months at a time. I need to charter a smaller cruiser (like the IP27) to see if it is TOO small or just right- size wise and my ability to single hand-it-wise. Okay...now I'm rambling..

Old 06-28-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
no dinghy on the charter boat- does that change anyones recommendations of where to go?
Without a dinghy you may want to pick up a mooring ball in Annapolis Harbor, (there are some moorings on the upper side of the Spa Creek bascule bridge also) because the water taxi can get you ashore in several nice spots. You may be able to rent an inflatable kayak also. St. Michaels also has a water taxi. Check on their schedule.
ps: I sailed from Rock Hall for a long time, both Spring Cove and Gratitude Marina. I wasn't too far away from Halcyon.

Last edited by Seaduction; 06-28-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add a ps