Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: "Operation Dry Water" Don't BUI this weekend.

If one is to engage
A. Be a great sailor and a better Drinker.
B. Do it in a secluded foreign tropical setting where you are the only boat on the bay and you have'nt seen a cop in two years.
C. Stick with Beer while under way and switch to Rum after anchor is set.
Old 06-29-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

How about they just stay outta my business unless I am doing something stupid or illegal. I am tired of worrying about the police every moment of my life

ie...is my inspection, emissions, seatbelt, boat reg, safety gear, etc...

How about the police/DEM/Coast Guard/Harbormasters actually need "probable cause" before boarding for any reason

Sorry...ranting complete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to blutoyz For This Useful Post:
Shinook (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Never understand why our society is so obsessed alcohol in every corner, every sport and every activity.......
It's not a US phenomenon. In fact, we rank down around 50th in alcohol consumption per capita worldwide. Most European countries are in the order of 50% higher than the US. Russia's alcohol consumption is so high, we look like prohibitionists. Of course, we actually tried that, so the the voice of the majority is pretty clear.

How about tobacco consumption. Again, we're down in the 50s, with countries like Greece and Russia about 3 times higher. Japan, Spain, Switzerland about 2 times higher.

We're a bunch of woosies on the world stage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-29-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It's not a US phenomenon. In fact, we rank down around 50th in alcohol consumption per capita worldwide. Most European countries are in the order of 50% higher than the US.
That's because their beer is waaaaay better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
That's because their beer is waaaaay better
Thankfully, the micro brew industry, which was here first, is making a serious recovery and they are outstanding. Some say its a fad. I remind them that Budweiser and Miller are the actual fads.

Honestly, it cracks me up to see people overseas actual gravitate toward some of the mass market swill we have.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-29-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

Why don't we sponser OHP~Operation Hot Pants and give tickets to all those in public who shouldn't be wearing them?!? No? Operation Cankle?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-29-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Never understand why our society is so obsessed alcohol in every corner, every sport and every activity. Alcohol is so over rated. It seems that we view of consuming lot of alcohol is a cool and good thing to do. Never understand the logic. It is so pathetic to see the drunks acting weird and out of the control.
There's been a few vaguely prohibitionist sentiments expressed here. I'd like to urge you to consider the following, for your own sake.

Look sailing friends... in some time from now, you'll be in the situation where something that makes your life good is going to be threatened by people outside your community who don't know any better. They'll only see the bad, and they'll stereotype the entire community by a small part of it. They will want to take it away from you, even though what you were doing wasn't hurting anyone.

Maybe it will be closing your marina because a few bad apples keep dumping oil. Maybe it will be banning your favorite sport, because some non-participants think it's not safe enough. Or maybe elimination of raw materials for your hobby, because meth labs also use it. I don't know what it will be, but it's going to happen.

When that happens, remember this moment.

Then the next time, when you're about to condemn whatever sort of thing that someone else is into, even though you're not a member of that community, remember that that's the same thing as condemning sailing, and everything else that you love.

Let's all do this together; let's find ways to be happy through other people's happiness, even if it's not for us. And if you can't, please just consider your own self-interest, and tolerate other people on the off-chance that that might be enough that they'd tolerate you back.

ETA: The reason this is sailing-related is that our sport is increasingly being attacked by other non-sailors, in a variety of ways--people who don't really understand sailing, and who will use their misconceived notions of what happens on the water to try to regulate us unfairly. We need to do more than just defend sailing; we need to defend tolerance, if our sport is going to survive.

Last edited by aaronwindward; 06-29-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Irish Quote
When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to Heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven.

poopdeckpappy and Advocate777 like this.
Old 06-29-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Today we took a short cruise down river and back there were lots and lots of NJ state police, fish and game, and even the CGaux. There was a big sandbar party up river and they were hovering for when people started leaving. Fortunately, none of the people in my club were ticketed or more.

my current "project"!
Old 06-30-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Today we took a short cruise down river and back there were lots and lots of NJ state police, fish and game, and even the CGaux. There was a big sandbar party up river and they were hovering for when people started leaving. Fortunately, none of the people in my club were ticketed or more.
This is exactly what I am talking about...I wonder how many "safety inspections" they planned on performing.