Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Operation Dry Water" Don't BUI this weekend.

I think that social values have shifted regarding drinking alcohol while sailing. I used to race on a boat where there was a big beer cooler at the forward end of the cockpit and the mainsail trimmer would pass beer all race long. There was a large open life raft compartment at the aft end of the cockpit and all race long, empty beer cans would be tossed aft into that compartment. Long before the windward mark, every tack was accompanied by the sound of an avalanche of beer cans shifting in that compartment. At the time, none of us thought anything about it.

When I tell that story today, most racers are amazed that the skipper allowed drinking while racing.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

When I was 18 and took over owner ship of my Grand Fathers little sloop. I got a 12 pack of Old Millwaukie and a cuban mix sandwich, put on some tunes, and sailed back and forth all day long In Black Water sound in Key largo until the beer was gone and I had drunk myself sober, then sailed it back to the dock at sunset. If you can sail realy good with a beer buzz, it makes sailing sober easy. Of course that was then, Like Jeff say's, things have changed. I worked a Dutch Tall ship that had a strict no drinking rule. I was surprised when everyone popped open a Hineken with lunch. Beer was'nt drinking they said, the rule applied to Booze.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

I don't think sailing under the influence should be a crime. Powerboating, yes, because you might kill someone who is not yourself and who did not make the choice to be in the boat with an intoxicated driver. Not that sailing way under the influence is a good idea, but neither is swimming, chainsawing, mowing the lawn, golfing, or walking down the street. You might injure yourself or those around you doing any one of those things drunk. At some point people need to be responsible for their actions.
Old 06-30-2013

I'll add that I grew up sailing a 16' Tanzer without a motor and me and a couple friends would bring a bunch of beer onboard and sail all day and get quite drunk. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but at least we were sailing and not sitting in some room somewhere getting hammered. I don't think it ever crossed our minds that we might be breaking a law.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I think one needs to be good at drinking before they try doing anything while drinking. Some people just should'nt drink. They just can't handle there booze. The Sh!t we used to do drunk...cliff jump'n, camping, canoeing. all things not involving motors and out in the wilderness, weather out on the pond or in the woods. I say it's Fair Game. Stay off of busy public water way's and keep it under 4 knot's...come on.
Old 06-30-2013

"The sh!t we used to do drunk...."

Haha.. Yup.
Old 06-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

"ma panties are all up in ma crotch, where's ma beer?" and many other fine expletives by a fine bunch of conscientious boaters!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Well I see it from all sides. I run a 400 foot tug and fuel barge in the busy waters of Miami and south Fla. Drinking is so far from any thing I think about, yet I'm navigating through a bunch of drunk power boaters and jet skis. I run a dive boat part of the year in the key's, drinking a big no no. But when I'm on my little enginless sloop in an empty bay in Honduras, there aint no boaters out there but me and it's my free time, we like to knock back a few and enjoy the day. Just the way it is, has and will be till I'm too old to Sail.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I was on an out island in the bahamas for several days and visited this little 9 room resort. Boaters and pilots would come and go every day. We stayed for several. One night, their cook could not come in, so they asked me if I would take the owner's van and drive the guests to this little beach shack that they knew I had visited.

I had been drinking already and told them I planned to continue drinking with dinner. I assumed they would appreciate the point and make other arrangements. To my hilarious surprise, she looked at me and said, "well then, leave the keys in the ignition so you don't lose them".

I got everyone there and back without losing the keys. One road, no lights, no signs on this island. True story.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.