Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
"Operation Dry Water" Don't BUI this weekend.

NASBLA - Operation DryWater 2013

No.. I didn't take the pledge LOL I don't drink very much at all... and Noooo one running a sailboat does either! Right?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Re: "Operation Dry Water" Don't BUI this weekend.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this shindig next weekend? I guess they are just getting people prepped.

Well I did take line 6, 4, 3 and 7ish.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-28-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

So they say 17% of boating fatalities are alcohol related? I am actually surprised the number isn't higher, but of that 17% I wonder how many were sailing? I'll wager very few!

When I am just cruising in open waters I will crack the occasional cold one, and I don't consider it to be dangerous at all.

Racing is a different story. I prefer to sail on boats that are dry until the racing is over. I have raced on boats where the drinks start when we leave the dock, and some people are drinking steadily all day. Not only do you end up with spilled beer everywhere, but the crew work gets sloppier and sloppier as the day goes on. Way too much goes on at a busy mark rounding, and everybody has to be on their game or someone WILL get hurt.

Having said that, I think the real hazard are the drunks in the wakeboard boats or PWCs. By all means, crack down on those guys, but don't hassle the sailor that is enjoying a cold one as he sails along at 5kts!
Hull#101
Old 06-28-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I'm guilty of lines 2,3 4 & 6. I'm unble to take the pledge.
What can I say...
Old 06-28-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Never understand why our society is so obsessed alcohol in every corner, every sport and every activity. Alcohol is so over rated. It seems that we view of consuming lot of alcohol is a cool and good thing to do. Never understand the logic. It is so pathetic to see the drunks acting weird and out of the control.
ctl411 likes this.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Never understand why our society is so obsessed alcohol in every corner, every sport and every activity. Alcohol is so over rated. It seems that we view of consuming lot of alcohol is a cool and good thing to do. Never understand the logic. It is so pathetic to see the drunks acting weird and out of the control.
As a non-drinker, I do not get it either. One of the places I work at, alcohol and football are all they talk about. Some of the guys even brew their own.

I got cured of Alcohol at an early age. Ocean City NJ has "night in venice" every summer. OCNJ is a dry town, but this is their once a year event to drink openly. When I was young, we watched a boat run over an anchored boat that was watching the parade. 4 people on the boat got killed and one lady lost both her legs. The driver, son of a prominent businessman, might have gotten a slap on the wrist

His Father owned the marina where my parents kept their grampian. The son's boat was a wreck the next morning, I am not even sure how it stayed afloat. By noon it was crushed and the remains sent to the dump before the cops even arrived. Without evidence and with no reliable witnesses, the son got away all but scott free

He is now a charter boat captain.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 06-28-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Its not an obsession. It's just life. Sure some folks get too drunk and do dumb things, but the majority of us that enjoy the water can handle our alcohol and act accordingly. I would imagine most sailors know when to cut it off. I would think that it's the stinkpotters that make life difficult for the rest of us. IF I was a local water patrol guy, I wouldn't even think of messing with a sailboat unless they did something very egregious. Unfortunately that type of common sense judgement seems to be lost with the current state of things.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-29-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

As with many things it is not the use of alcohol that is the problem, it is the ABUSE! A boater having a couple of beers is not the problem, it's the ones that drink all day that end up killing people.

Alcohol is a part of almost every culture in the world. There are always going to be people who can't control their consumption, and get out of control, but for every one of those there are a dozen that can drink without getting wasted.
Hull#101
Old 06-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Too bad stupidity doesn't have a legal limit.

"Sir, I'm going to ask you a series of questions starting with who is the current secretary of state and ending with some questions about COLREGS. If you fail to answer or get 3 questions wrong, I'm going to have to charge you with Public Stupidity"
Jeff_H likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-29-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Never understand why our society is so obsessed alcohol in every corner, every sport and every activity.
Here's a hint...

Anheuser Busch Inc. Market Cap = $144.60B
The Following User Says Thank You to Neosec For This Useful Post:
lowtide (06-29-2013)